The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Nothing up my sleeve... :: Pull Vanish (12 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
thannah
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of thannah
Hello All. Curious how many of you use "Pull" accessories for vanishing items? If you do, what do you recommend as the best material for an effective pull vanish? Something as invisible as possible, but strong. Do you use elastic? Any special kind of string or thread? Interested in your thoughts out there, thanks!
David Burke
View Profile
Special user
Prosper, TX
675 Posts

Profile of David Burke
I use black elastic from Penguin.
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S12747

Dave
thannah
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of thannah
Thanks Dave. Curious where how you attach it for best results? Is the "vanish" end attached to the item itself or do you use some other device?
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8815 Posts

Profile of harris
Decades ago I used a rubber band

I'm guessing it would still drop jaws.

KISS
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Stperformer
View Profile
Loyal user
292 Posts

Profile of Stperformer
The Pull Book by Patrick Page is well worth a look.

http://www.lybrary.com/the-pull-book-p-53995.html

A visit to Fabricland will get you Black Elastic cord which is what I use.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3876 Posts

Profile of Julie
Hi Thannah

For an effective approach that is similar to a pull, but does not require an elastic, I suggest you research John Cornelius' Pendulum Principle.

Julie
David Burke
View Profile
Special user
Prosper, TX
675 Posts

Profile of David Burke
@Stperformer:
Great little book, I picked it up from Lybrary a while back.

Dave
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Quote:
On Aug 5, 2017, Harris wrote:
Decades ago I used a rubber band

I'm guessing it would still drop jaws.

KISS

True, but do the elastic bands last longer than the rubber bands?
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1744 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
You don't need to use elastic. I have one made from string. It's a simplified form of the "lamp chimney" pull described in "Amateur Magician's Handbook" - no pulleys or straps are needed.

Barry
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8815 Posts

Profile of harris
Thanks for the reminder of J. C.'s Upside Down approach

To all that I those here in the Café that remind me of things long forgotten -Thank You.

Yes you are correct in the longevity statements.
I was just being nostalgic.

Any thoughts on circle elastic hair bands?
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
David Burke
View Profile
Special user
Prosper, TX
675 Posts

Profile of David Burke
@Julie,

Did did a search on John Cornelius' Pendulum Principle, the first link was to llepub, and it showed a picture.

Sure enough, it's sitting right here on my bookshelf. How easily we forget things that we already have.

Thanks Julie,

Dave
thannah
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of thannah
Great responses and ideas all - thanks!
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9997 Posts

Profile of funsway
I have used the "disMbody" principle for years. It is a pull approach that can be either static or active as desired and not connected to the body at all times.

So, the "pull" material might vary according to application, but normally not elastic. Black thread or clear usually.

My favorite is "Five Smooth Stones" in which a selected stone visibly changes to a silk of the same color in the air.
Nothing is connected to the body until moments before the stone is to vanish.

Second best is a CR of a metal chain necklace using wire cutters. The necklace is handled by spectators.
The Handling of the wire cutters both loads the required extra chin loop into the hands and facilitates the vanish -
though nothing is ever attached to the body.

The point is, don't limit yourself to traditional uses of a commercial pull. The principle is the key, not the materials employed.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
DaveGripenwaldt
View Profile
Elite user
487 Posts

Profile of DaveGripenwaldt
Just a point on your question about materials. You can combine a thin, strong harder-to-see line (like a clear fishing line) with elastic so the elastic provides the tension, but is never in view.

Random thought alert: Haven't thought of this in years...this post reminded me...back in the stone age when I was a kid, I made a sleeve pull for coin vanishes. It was a metal disc on elastic and covered with a mix of bees wax and non drying Plasticine clay that a coin could stick to but not dry out or lose its adhesive quality (today we'd just use something like funtack, but in prehistoric days it was strictly DIY). You classic palmed the disk...stick the coin to it...relax your palm and the coin was gone.

I think I still have it somewhere....
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3876 Posts

Profile of Julie
Dave, I remember Don Alan using this approach with sticky stuff on a concealed metal disk attached to an elastic in a trick sold by Ireland's/Magic Inc., but I've forgotten what he called it...?

Julie
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8815 Posts

Profile of harris
Ah those were the days.
Back when I knew next to nothing about magic.
35 years later I know even less.
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
Stperformer
View Profile
Loyal user
292 Posts

Profile of Stperformer
I don't know if you can still get this.....but InrediGo by Al Cohen. It's a pull (sorta)

Do any of you remember this?

Fooled me when I first saw it (which was a little while ago Smile
danaruns
View Profile
Special user
The City of Angels
808 Posts

Profile of danaruns
I've used the elastic and the pendulum. They both have their relative advantages and disadvantages. The pendulum didn't work with a particular costume I had, for instance. Also, depending on what you're doing, a TopIt can be a wonderful thing.
"Dana Douglas is the greatest magician alive. Plus, I'm drunk." -- Foster Brooks
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1744 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
Quote:
On Aug 7, 2017, Stperformer wrote:
I don't know if you can still get this.....but InrediGo by Al Cohen. It's a pull (sorta)

Do any of you remember this?

Fooled me when I first saw it (which was a little while ago Smile

Yes, that's what I was referring to above.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9538 Posts

Profile of Mb217
I used to have one of these pull devices when I was a kid, one attached to a coin, and one like a black rubber egg to vanish small objects like handkerchiefs and sponge balls. They were fun, but the best thing in this class of things for me was, "The Vanishing Shot Glass." Smile That was an amazing trick that creatively used this method of things. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile