The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Polly wants a cracker... :: Clipping dove wings (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
fccfp
View Profile
Special user
NJ
563 Posts

Profile of fccfp
What's the best way to clip a doves wings?
I don't want to cut too much off.
Thanks,
A.K.A. Jay The Magician
www.jaythemagician.com
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4860 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
No No No. Jay, why do you want to clip the wings? It isn't necessary if you devote enough time to training. Even the tail should only be trimmed occasionally just to neaten it up.
Where the magic begins
fccfp
View Profile
Special user
NJ
563 Posts

Profile of fccfp
This is older dove I recently acquired. Dave, the dove I got from you was great. He imprinted on me and I had no problems with it. This dove is not yet trained and I don't want him to take off on me.
A.K.A. Jay The Magician
www.jaythemagician.com
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4860 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Jay, practice with it in a confined room so if it does fly off, it won't have anywhere to do. You can spray cold water under it's wings to retard the flying as well. Clipping doesn't prevent it from flying off either. It just makes it uncomfortable and may cause it to drop to the floor or fly into something.

While I don't condone wing clipping, you clip off no more than an inch on every other feather on both wings but again, this isn't going to stop it from flying. The best solution is training.
Where the magic begins
Rook
View Profile
Special user
I went to the Magic Cafe and all I got were these lousy
834 Posts

Profile of Rook
Hi, Jay!
Most of us here will give you the advice to train rather than clip.

If you insist on clipping, however, check to see if there's a bird shop in your area (one in my neighborhood, for example, is a pet store that specializes in parrots and the like). They often have groomers there on certain days of the week. You can have your dove professionally safely groomed (including wings) for a very small fee.
Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.

-Roald Dahl
Tim Snyder
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago, IL
112 Posts

Profile of Tim Snyder
I was under the impression that one of the main reasons doves are used is because they don't like to keep flying; but prefer to land on the nearest "safe" perch. I don't yet own any doves. Just have a non-performing cockatiel who thinks she is human. If you go slow in the trust building, I don't think you will need to clip either.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4860 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Doves will almost always fly to the highest perch but the point is to keep it from flying off that perch unless they have been trained to do so. Clipping the wings will prevent that from happening, eliminate the possibility of doing the toss out and reduces their ability to excercise
Where the magic begins
Paul Budd
View Profile
Elite user
It's a shame he's only made
438 Posts

Profile of Paul Budd
All I can bring to the table is: I know how to trim wings the WRONG way! (No, I didn't hurt my dove.....I'll just leave it as a mystery!!) Smile
His face isn't really this long in-person!
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4860 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
There is no right or wrong way, just something that shouldn't and doesn't need to be done.
Where the magic begins
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
The dove harness I use allows me to cross the dove's wing tips in the harness. He cannot get loose to fly until I slide the harness off. I have him well set by then.
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On Jul 28, 2017, fccfp wrote:
What's the best way to clip a doves wings?
I don't want to cut too much off.
Thanks,

You might want to use a Silkie Dove instead. They cannot fly away.
http://pet-doves.com/petdoves/Silkies.htm
magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1160 Posts

Profile of magic4545
Not all doves are the same level of trainable. Only cut and tape one side. Don't cut the outboard 3 or 4 feathers. Only the ones on the inside, closer to the bird's body. Use tape on the uncut feathers, if necessary. Test the bird over a bed to make sure that it can protect itself by flying to the surface, and not just falling. Even clipped and taped, they can STILL fly away with a strong enough gust of wind. My saying is,"you don't train the birds... they train you". As you become more experienced, you will know how to hold, distract and move a bird to discourage flight. Some birds will require more disabling than others. Mark your birds specifically for their intended part in the show.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4860 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
I don't know. In my career, I've raised and used over 60 doves and never had to clip or tape a wing. Granted, some took a little longer to train but with attention, they all worked out just fine.

I do agree with marking them however for their particular effect. A little dab of nail polish distinguished them from each other.
Where the magic begins
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5958 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
A friend trained his doves quite easily. He works with them in a room without windows. If the dove flies, he turns out the lights.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4860 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
I start training in the corner of the room so the dove has no where to go. Gradually I increase the distance between myself and the corner. This is extremely helpful when training the dove to fly out and return. They do have a good memory and if they don't have anything to land on, they'll return. After about 6 weeks, the walls aren't necessary and they remember to fly out, turn and return. Not every dove is used for a toss out but the corner method strengthens their feeling of safety and will remain with me after a production.
Where the magic begins
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3044 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
I used three doves in my act many years ago. Never clipped their wings, just took my time training them. Even when I did the act outdoors or in a huge shopping center or theatre, they never looked like they wanted to fly away. Those huge white wings were gorgeous and always got a huge response.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"