The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Looking out for our own :: Sylvester the Jester LIVE - Sunday, July 16, 2017 (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
3009 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Anyone planning on tuning into Sylvester the Jester LIVE on Penguin on Sunday, July 16th? I'm a big fan of Dan Sylvester - his creativity, his quirkiness, and his amazing ability to create original props and effects. And his Sylvester Pitch is a propless utility move that looks shocking and magical in his hands. He even came up with an original jacketless/vestless topit that can take fairly large objects. The man's a thinker and a crazy entertainer, so this is one lecture I'm really looking forward to.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/8484

“A two hour lecture from Dan Sylvester is all you need to stimulate your creativity. He is an engineering marvel on how to build the most visual and colorful magic. A modern magic genius." - Rocco Silano

"Sylvester the Jester is a true enigma in showbiz. He writes all his own material, builds his own original props and, while doing the impossible onstage, he’s even doing his own elaborate sound cues. He’s the text book example of creative genius. Audiences around the world watch in wonder of his human cartoon character and are magically transformed into being little kids again. I love it!" - Amazing Johnathan

“Dan Sylvester creates effects and methods that have no forebearers in magic.” - John Booth, The Linking Ring

“It is certainly the most original act ever to appear at the Magic Castle.” - Toney Georgio, Genii Magazine

“The uniqueness of his stage character, the perfect meshing of his one of a kind magic done flawlessly with music, comedy and costumes, leaves me breathless!” - Ken Weber, Maxim Entertainment

"Danny Sylvester is one of the most creative minds that I have ever known in all of Magic. He is the most prolific inventor of gimmicks, sleights, comedy lines and mind-blowing moves. There is apparently no end to his genius and talent!" - Brian Gillis

“Blazingly original and totally off-the-wall!” - Phil Willmarth, President of IBM

“Sylvester accomplishes in live action what “The Mask” required a bank of computers to produce!” -Judy Brown, LA Weekly
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
MagicBrent
View Profile
Inner circle
2579 Posts

Profile of MagicBrent
I am. He's a legend. It's nice to see how in this day of apps and special effects that kids can do easily access today, it's good to appreciate the ingenuity behind this act. I'm looking forward to hearing about the behind the scene stories of creating a cartoon.
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Sylvester is a genius... in many levels. I've hung out with him many times and my head exploded with all the ideas he had. It's amazing to me how he has built all the devices he uses in his act. He is one of the most original and unique act out there.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9538 Posts

Profile of Mb217
A remarkable worker, Sylvester is the man. He's got all sorts of magic, but his Sylvester Pitch is worth the price of admission all by itself.

Happy to see such deserved respect and great audience given to such a magnificent worker and magic creator. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3082 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
Seriously, every once in a while Penguin live really pulls one out of the hat so to speak. I don't think this guy ever lectures and his is sick amazing and he does details on the pitch and just get it.
m.o.pfeil
View Profile
Regular user
167 Posts

Profile of m.o.pfeil
Indeed the bits on the pitch are fabulous and I love the suspended dimension presentations as well.
I'd rather be read than (w)ri(gh)t(e)
BCE
View Profile
Loyal user
280 Posts

Profile of BCE
I hate to say this, but Penguin really needs to consider adding language warnings to the lectures.
academy
View Profile
Veteran user
394 Posts

Profile of academy
I was very interested in the water from the ears effect but I did't find any explanation. Is that not explained or I skip it somewhere? Do you have any info about that?

Regards
RiffRaff
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

Profile of RiffRaff
Can somebody list the contents?
mrbungle
View Profile
Regular user
149 Posts

Profile of mrbungle
Has anyone heard from Dan Sylvester lately? He wrote on his facebook that he has alzheimers. People are trying to contact him, but he is not replying.
Does anyone know if he doing ok?

All the best,

Marco
Grandia Enterprises inc. 1974
kiketron
View Profile
Veteran user
301 Posts

Profile of kiketron
Quote:
On Apr 12, 2021, mrbungle wrote:
Has anyone heard from Dan Sylvester lately? He wrote on his facebook that he has alzheimers. People are trying to contact him, but he is not replying.
Does anyone know if he doing ok?

All the best,

Marco

Sad to hear that. I hope he is alright.
Best wishes for him.
Step into the unknown
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7576 Posts

Profile of RNK
Agree! Super sad if that is true. Love his material and creativity!! Prayers going out to him.
Check out Bafflingbob.com
deadcatbounce
View Profile
Special user
the Wilds of Ireland
864 Posts

Profile of deadcatbounce
I had a chat with him at Blackpool 2020... he was clearly troubled. It was tough to see and hear. Some sort of dementia had taken hold.
"With every mistake - we must surely be learning..." George Harrison.
BeachCat
View Profile
New user
Vegas Baby!
54 Posts

Profile of BeachCat
So sad to hear this. Has anyone tried contacting his wife Sharon?
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4544 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
I believe I heard the same through Scott Well's Magic Word podcast :/ such a talent.
David asecas
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of David asecas
It's a shame to read this, I hope it's not true, since Silvester is one of the most creative magicians Smile
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3531 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
There was a post on his Facebook page, Nov 17, 2019 stating that he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's Disease. He was looking for emotional support and also listed a way of contact.
Prayers with him and his wife.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6778 Posts

Profile of videoman
There was actually a newer FB post in the last day or two with an update that Dan definitely does have early onset Alzheimer's and unfortunately is now unable to perform. Please keep him in your hearts and heads as well as his two two twin five year olds Dine and Desiree.
His sister is currently caring for Dan and my blessings and best wishes go out to his entire family who are all dealing with the effects of this terrible disease, especially his 2 young daughters.
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1612 Posts

Profile of Marvello
From a Facebook post in a private magic group:
"Hey folks, it is with a heavy heart that I come to you all and tell you our dear friend Daniel Sylvester aka "Sylvester the Jester" has Alzheimer's and is now unable to perform. Please keep him in your hearts and heads as well as his two two twin five year old's Dine and Desiree.
I reached out to his sister, who's taking care of him, to make sure that it was okay to tell the rest of you, and she gave her blessing."

I wasn't sure if this information has been shared here yet, but in case it hasn't I thought that his friends here would want to know.
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
pulpscrypt
View Profile
Special user
Within the shadows
588 Posts

Profile of pulpscrypt
So sad. A terrible disease.