The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Magic...at a moment's notice! :: Tricks you carry--just in case (55 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
mich77
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of mich77
The first thing I do is Ring Thing with my ring or a spectator's one. Something with one coin also is frequent. After, if it gets serious, I go on with cards or other stuff that I have in my wallet.
Silversleights04
View Profile
Regular user
Houston, Texas
184 Posts

Profile of Silversleights04
I will always carry a ring, a silver dollar, a sharpie, and business cards everywhere I go just in case someone asks to see something. Then if it comes up that I perform magic (notice I said IF, not when; I feel like that mentality makes an important difference in your approach to impromptu performance), bam, I'm ready to show some magic.

That said, the only extra gimmick I will always carry for a specific effect is a shrinkie sharpie (homemade) for some fun visual sharpie magic! Credit to Homer Liwag, learned it from his Rice Papers. I get excited when I go somewhere and see a sharpie. You can shrink it then restore it instantly, or, if they don't particularly care about the sharpie and I'm making an impression, I'll shrink it down and just give it to them as a fun keepsake. I add a dab of gorilla glue to the cap so it will never come off (not that it's likely to anyway, but JIC), and most fun loving people won't try too hard to get the cap off of their souvenir. Then I'll just ditch their sharpie to a pocket and make another later. Great self-supplying effect.
-Magic sees Magic-

-Marco V-
Sophocles
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of Sophocles
Pocket Space Plus is very strong imho when performed well. I bring out both the “deck” card and prediction card at same time and it blows people’s minds.
wulfiesmith
View Profile
Inner circle
Beverley, UK
1339 Posts

Profile of wulfiesmith
Rock, Paper, Scissors
An effect which I had professionally printed onto durable plastic , water-proof material.
A professional prop to last, and a real fooler.

I have some over, for anyone wishing to buy.
60mm diameter discs, 1mm thick.

See it here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBKzUR4oMA

Click here to view attached image.
egoli
View Profile
Special user
The only magician from Que Que, Southern Rhodesia
737 Posts

Profile of egoli
Great props for a nice and easy routine. Fast mailing from the UK to Canada - very satisfied

Ed
griz326
View Profile
Regular user
Eureka, Montana
129 Posts

Profile of griz326
A mentor taught me: "Dogs do tricks. Magicians do magic."

If there are children, I'll do a strike vanish with a pencil an pull the coin from the kid's ear. Depending on the reaction, I might do a follow up of ring and spring (personal favorite). If the kid is good, I'll let 'em keep the prop.

With adults, I'll do something quick with a copper/silver.

I haven't had any wise guys ask for (demand) a trick here in Montana, but when happened back east, I had a bunch of abusive humor to accompany a trick. I don't believe in abusing anyone, but I made exceptions for wise guys and bullies.
Bruce T
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Bruce T
EDC?
Odd days of the month: Extreme Burn, Mini MD, Will to Read
Even days of the month:Card Warp, Gypsy Thread, Charming Chinese Coins
Every day of the month: Turner Watch, DFB, Organic Sven Pad, Pack of Cards
In Wallet: Healing Hearts (Martin Mago & Jansonsen), Regeneration, Tornado
Luke Wolf
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Luke Wolf
A few blank cards a few sharpies, everything carried in my loading wallet.

Tjrs enough for a full 45 impromptu performance.
Wez_Evans
View Profile
New user
Lancashire, UK
52 Posts

Profile of Wez_Evans
If I have nothing else,I always have a razor wallet. I carry it as my basic everyday wallet
Silversleights04
View Profile
Regular user
Houston, Texas
184 Posts

Quote:
On Jul 6, 2020, Bruce T wrote:
EDC?
Odd days of the month: Extreme Burn, Mini MD, Will to Read
Even days of the month:Card Warp, Gypsy Thread, Charming Chinese Coins
Every day of the month: Turner Watch, DFB, Organic Sven Pad, Pack of Cards
In Wallet: Healing Hearts (Martin Mago & Jansonsen), Regeneration, Tornado

I love this idea of a rotation for EDC. Really grants you some natural variety. Terrific idea Bruce!
-Magic sees Magic-

-Marco V-
Bruce T
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Bruce T
Hey silversleights04 - thank you
What do you carry?
Please let me know how that evolves.
Silversleights04
View Profile
Regular user
Houston, Texas
184 Posts

I'm definitely going to create a few rotations! Thanks for asking Bruce, nowadays I carry the following: A ring, a silver dollar, a sharpie, a shrunken sharpie, Exact Change style gimmick, and some rubber bands.
My wallet has a few tricks in it too: a comedy reveal for Realist, Trace (by Will Tsai, the only sansmind purchase I would actually endorse, but just so you can perform Burn by Daniel Madison), a Greed and a Fraud bill (by Daniel Garcia), and Common Cents Prediction (by Drew Backenstoss).

I used to always carry the gimmick necessary for Imagination Coins (by Garrett Thomas), but I haven't performed it since COVID started. People are understandably reluctant to hold a stranger's pocket change at the moment, ha!
-Magic sees Magic-

-Marco V-
pulpscrypt
View Profile
Special user
Within the shadows
588 Posts

Profile of pulpscrypt
All of these are great ideas.
Except for coin magic with gaffed coins. When I first got into magic, my brother and I shared many props.
We were on vacation at a campground and got quite a reputation as the magic guys despite our small repertoire.
Then at the general store one day, my brother spent our Scotch and Soda on something stupid and we never realised til someone asked us to do "that trick."
LoL
Took a few allowances before we got another, but lesson learned!
Course now I keep any " normal looking" prop in a specialty container!
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4389 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Interesting, this thread has been going on for several years. What I carry has changed over the years. Here is what I carry now:

A gimmicked coin pouch that I invented that goes in my wallet. In that coin pouch is a regular half dollar and a JJ Jurney set.
A few rubber bands, also in the coin pouch.
A fraud credit card by Peter Turner
A really fun miniature packet trick I developed (Regulard cards don't fit in regular wallets)
A mentalism card that I created
A 100 monopoly bill folded to do a bill switch without a thumbtip, and a couple mismade 100 monopoly bills to hand out as a souvenir.
A few blank piece of paper for some mentalism routines.
A mismade dollar bill.

My keychain might have a gimmicked key, like one of Prace's keys or Gregory Wilson's keys.
A couple woven strings for ring and string routines
a couple small skeleton keys I purchased from Amazon, both of which have IT inside of the hole in the end of the keys.

Without anything else on me, I have a 30 minute show in my pockets.

I don't ususally carry cards on me, but I always have a deck of cards, TT, streamers, dice, sunami gimmick, sponge chickens, and a few other things in the car.

KJ
marcomotroni
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of marcomotroni
I usually take advantage of the small pocket in my jeans to carry one of every coin plus an extra quarter for some quick vanishes and reapearances. Maybe an extra soda tab if the opportunity is right.

When I dress up, I have my Infinity Wallet, but I'll admit, I'm not the biggest guy in the world, so I'll usually go for Paul Harris' Street Thief instead. Gets the job done, holds my money, and has an awesome and visual 5 min routine with it.

I also usually have billets (3x5's cut in half) or business cards on my person to do some mentalism/magic, be it a Cassidy routine, a Living or Dead Test (Maven's variation), or even a torn corner routine.

Since I'm also quite young, I can get away with wearing goofy socks, so I'll often wear Spongebob socks, or Bugs Bunny socks, etc, and then force the character using the iCurveball method.

I love seeing everyone's setup. There are some goldmines in here.

PS, oh, how could I forget Banachek's P***** Writing gimmick: the most unforgettable thing your spectator will ever see when performed right.
PhantomStranger
View Profile
New user
Tri-State Area
97 Posts

Profile of PhantomStranger
Bwave is my go to for someone who’s never seen me do a trick
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
I haven't had any wise guys ask for (demand) a trick here in Montana, but when happened back east, I had a bunch of abusive humor to accompany a trick. I don't believe in abusing anyone, but I made exceptions for wise guys and bullies. [/quote
Don't abuse guys in Montana, it can be painful.
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
vincentmusician
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto
266 Posts

Profile of vincentmusician
I like Magic that is always ready to go, no set up, takes up little space and easy to perform so I can concentrate on the presentation. I am finding that B"Wave seems to get me great reactions. It takes up little space and I highly recommend it. Cheers!
ltrblst
View Profile
Loyal user
226 Posts

Profile of ltrblst
PK Ring, a few rubber bands, packet trick (usually a three card monte and oil & water variation).
Cub Sines
View Profile
New user
Finland (Ostrobothnia)
50 Posts

Profile of Cub Sines
PK Ring for me also, I use it as a wedding ring (my wife actually purchased that to me), TT, rubber bands, deck of cards, tarantula II, friction pen and now few chips from sucker punch (my latest investment). I do not necessarily carry them all at the same time but rather few of them that I change to whatever I would like to perform that day.