The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... :: What books should I look for to learn hypnosis (12 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
impulse
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of impulse
I have check around,read a lot of posts I want to learn hypnosis. Not stage but maybe street or just more casual hypnosis
iam not a stage type of person,but iam a warm person people trust and open up to me.
i want opinions where should I start there are so many side to every post I have read.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10615 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
It's really quite simple, get the proper training from an experienced, recognized and certified trainer. Like everything else you must invest in your success. Hypnosis is not trick or effect you just read bout and then go do. There are many things to learn, much more than those first interested realize. This has been covered so many times in great depth here in this forum if you've search at all you've likely found this same post dozens of times everytime a newbie comes along with interest.

Performing hypnosis of any kind, stage, ambush, etc. requires the knowledge and understanding of hypnosis itself, the very important pretalk and conditioning proper inductions, presenting suggestions properly, safety of all induced, possible unexpected reactions or responses you must be prepared for, layering, removing suggestions, insurance and liability, backlash and misperceptions, laws, and then how to perform with hypnosis. Are you currently an entertainer? Understanding hand being trained hypnosis in no way makes you an entertainer.

Then there is the business side of how to establish credibility, marketing and booking yourself, expectations and much more. Get properly trained and certified by an accredited professional That is the best advice you will receive. I wouldn't accept anything less. Asking about books, watching videos on youtube is not training!

Commit or don't do it. Also about this time in most of these posts the OP starts offering excuses and justifications for not doing so - I don't have the money, I work a full-time job, there is not decent training on my area, I cant travel to ...., etc. Again, if you can't invest in yourself and commit, don't even attempt it.

I just trained two people for the last 6 months and they both have gone on the roads with me the past several weeks as part of my annual Spring tour. They were all blown away with all there is to it and the plethora of content they couldn't find in the books they read or the videos they watched.

There you go, the answer you were seeking. Knowledge and safety first, then gain some experience, establish credibility and then start to go for it. Properly understanding hypnosis and being a performing hypnotist is much more than you are likely aware. It is a process. That starts at the beginning and continues one step at a time.

You've been here three weeks. You must learn to understand the differnce between opinions and experience in posts and advice offered and accepted.
impulse
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of impulse
So your saying there or no good training guides? How would I even know if someone is suitable to do training? Does anyone know of anyone that does training in North Carolina . the only hard part is for me I have a family and a wife that's not able to drive and a son that's about to start school . As with everything else if it's something you want to do you have to be committed it is hard work. But I'm looking for a beginning that will lead to Something more I know in this field you're ever learning.so if anyone can help great if not thank you for your time.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21275 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
What exactly is casual hypnosis?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
impulse
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of impulse
More of a up close ( bar, restaurant, and so on ) you tell me what you would call it.
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1744 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
Start with Reality is Plastic by Anthony Jacquin. The second edition is available as an Ebook from Amazon.

As I said in my PM to you, if you want to learn hypnotherapy look here:
https://ngh.net/

Barry
impulse
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of impulse
Thank you for all your help, I'm looking into both sides of hypnosis because all this information is really interesting to me.
Also has anyone heard of or knows any information about Alex Ross from international-nlp.
impulse
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of impulse
Any other book recommendations I'm trying reality is plastic on Audible right now.
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1744 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
For NLP, the best book that I've come across is "NLP Workbook" by Joseph O'Connor. But you really need a live course (not an online one).

I'm not sure how RIP can work as an audio book. There are lots of essential photographs in the book.
mentalboy
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of mentalboy
I wouldn't suggest that someone learn to play a musical instrument by reading a book. I wouldn't suggest a book will teach you hypnosis. Of course, after you have learned the basics, a few inductions and maybe some ideas on utilization, then a book such as Anthony Jacquin's is highly recommended.

Having said that, I have to admit that, as a teenager, I did learn a little hypnosis from a book (I don't recall the title now) but I then went to study with an expert. Harry Arons was my first teacher - a real hustler a true character, and a good teacher who, more than anything else, instilled confidence. I learned so much more from this short apprenticeship than I ever would have learned from a book. And I don't know of any book that will tell you what to do when things go wrong - and they will! And a properly-trained hypnotist will know what to do about that.

In short, the books, the videos, the audio lessons, are all good supplements to competent training.
mentalboy
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of mentalboy
For Danny, who wants to learn what is casual hypnosis, I think you mean the sort of hypnosis practiced by Milton Erickson and his students where there is no formal induction.
mentalboy
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of mentalboy
In my last post, I mentioned Milton Erickson and before that, I mentioned how things can go wrong. There's a wonderful story about a rather pompous psychiatrist (I know him and, in fact, when I was a faculty member for the hypnosis training given by the American Society for Clinical Hypnosis, he was also a faculty member - who the rest of us avoided). He was on a stage, demonstrating a hypnotic induction to about 200 doctors who were taking a beginner's class. The subject was in a deep somnambulant (asleep) trance and he ordered her to wake up when he counted to three and clapped his hands. He did so but she didn't move. He tried 2 or 3 more times to demand that she come out of the trance and she just stayed in trance with a blissful smile on her face.

Someone wisely called for Dr Milton Erickson who was having lunch in the nearby coffee shop. Confined to a wheelchair, Dr Erickson moved slowly up to the platform and whispered something in the subject's ear. The woman got up immediately.

The psychiatrist who was demonstrating got up the nerve to ask Dr Erickson what he said. Erickson replied, "I said, 'I hope your bladder isn't getting too full.'"

Now, that's a great example of casual hypnosis.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21275 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yea no that isn't what is being spoke of.

I believe it is about doing it fir friends and not in context of a show.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
impulse
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of impulse
Quote:
On Jun 4, 2017, mindmagic wrote:
For NLP, the best book that I've come across is "NLP Workbook" by Joseph O'Connor. But you really need a live course (not an online one).

I'm not sure how RIP can work as an audio book. There are lots of essential photographs in the book.

don't worry I ordered the download as well and printed it out the very next day. whats nice is Anthony Jacquin narrated it so you got a feel for everything said and how to say it with the audio.
impulse
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of impulse
After reading rip. I will get the advance walk up street hypnosis dvd set. and when I can save up some money I will take the Dave Elman Hypnosis Institute course by Larry Elman its like an hour away its a 9 day course.
cchesmark
View Profile
New user
Houston
33 Posts

Profile of cchesmark
I second Reality is Plastic. In addition to the book, Anthony also released a video by the same title and it's equally filled with good info for street hypnosis.
Chad Chesmark / Corporate & Cruise Ship Magician & Mentalist
www.ChadChesmark.com
Magician in Houston, Texas
https://texasschoolshows.com/MAGICIAN-IN-HOUSTON
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1744 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
Quote:
On Jul 6, 2017, cchesmark wrote:
I second Reality is Plastic. In addition to the book, Anthony also released a video by the same title and it's equally filled with good info for street hypnosis.

My copy of the first edition came with a rather good DVD, but I'm not sure if it's available separately. Anthony is on here frequently and will no doubt be able to tell you.

Barry
impulse
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of impulse
So far I really love his work and igors
cchesmark
View Profile
New user
Houston
33 Posts

Profile of cchesmark
I know that this was asked several months ago, but I just finished watching The Manchurian Approach and it was great. Exactly what you might be looking for if you want to perform impromptu, street hypnosis, or even strolling hypnosis as mentioned in the videos. It's several volumes and offers a ton of information. Great stuff.
Chad Chesmark / Corporate & Cruise Ship Magician & Mentalist
www.ChadChesmark.com
Magician in Houston, Texas
https://texasschoolshows.com/MAGICIAN-IN-HOUSTON
Dandin
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Dandin
Deeper and deeper is a great book. Also Ormond Mcgill's The New Encyclopedia of Stage Hypnotism.