The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: SansMinds Magic :: Will Tsai - AGT. Mind=Blown (119 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..9~10~11~12 [Next]
Dave the Knave
View Profile
Regular user
Cochise County, Arizona
163 Posts

Profile of Dave the Knave
Quote:
On Jun 30, 2017, Micheal Leath wrote:
Found this about Will's performance on Youtube.

https://youtu.be/_dSp_f0f9gE

That's a good find. Substantially more entertaining then Will Tsai's Mechanical Matrix, to boot.
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3519 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
That Quick D video is very well done and entertaining. He makes a lot of good points. I wasn't convinced that Will Tsai's internet video were video effects by the couple of examples brought up in this thread but Quick D seems pretty sure.

However I would question why he would point out the thick table and vines covering the performer's foot and then later confidently say the it was video effects. I'm still on the side that there was no video manipulation but he sure has muddied the waters.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Micheal Leath
View Profile
Inner circle
1048 Posts

Profile of Micheal Leath
I think he is saying that the video effects cover up the mechanics of the table.
CardWiz
View Profile
Special user
Charleston, SC
626 Posts

Profile of CardWiz
I agree, kind of like when a mentalist fools a volunteer and an audience differently with the same trick, the audience is fooled with this incredible table that is cleaned up for TV.
People have been calling me "Yu" lately. I don't know, must be Chinese.
robd
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of robd
Quote:
On Jun 26, 2017, mavericklancer wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 26, 2017, robd wrote:
"A quick eyeball of with my own pulley system next to me shows a "quick tug" with my hand is about 10"/sec"

I'm an engineer. My current project uses a pulley and belt system with an integrated linear encoder. Those black ribbons on the left side are magnetic tape scales for the encoders. See image below. I was able to give a "quick tug" with my hand a few times and the instantaneous velocity readouts were around 10"/sec.

Do you have something interesting on this point to contribute, or were you trying to be facetious?

Edit: A Café user has kindly PM'd me, telling me that any image I post will be subject to someone saying that I pulled it off of google. Here's an image with me and the pulley system.

Merely being facetious. I didn't doubt for a moment that you had a pulley system next to you btw.
vannma
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of vannma
In relation to this post check this out:
https://www.yahoo.com/news/magician-tsai......680.html
lynnef
View Profile
Inner circle
1408 Posts

Profile of lynnef
Enjoyable topic here! We wouldn't have been fooled by the centuries-old well in the table. All Mr Tsai has done is to bring the effects (coins across/matrix) up to the 21st century. I'm betting that he could do a classic routine if he wanted; but then IMO it wouldn't have had the impact as a 'stage effect' as someone else mentioned. I just hope he is able to keep performing before a live audience (ie rather than camera edits). Lynn
technologhee
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of technologhee
The "quick D" video broke this trick for me. In the same way catching one DL ruins a night of card magic for a layman, the smallest use of visual after effects ruins this for me.
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2724 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Both magicians cut last night.
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10615 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Seems this thread has gone awfully quiet. Much can be learned from his last performance. Not sure how this was supposed to "step it up a notch" as far as being impressive and for the judges/audience.

A great example of a performer only being as good as their last performance.
MR Effecto
View Profile
Inner circle
2837 Posts

Profile of MR Effecto
I thought the kid was really good. Will Tsai was just really bad.
Doug Trouten
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
471 Posts

Profile of Doug Trouten
My mind was considerably less blown by Will's latest appearance. It was very difficult to see the effect, and I think that hurt a great deal. Will's first appearance was perfect for television, and really made the most of that environment. This most recent appearance seemed to suffer from bad lighting and camera shot choice.
It's still magic even if you know how it's done.
Terry Pratchett
Alex DLF
View Profile
Inner circle
2004 Posts

Profile of Alex DLF
Get yourself Stamper and MONU, the perfect walkaround packet tricks: https://youtu.be/rwtfeKFeLms & https://youtu.be/yz5yKlI-4w8

Make sure to check my English review Channel! http://www.youtube.com/c/alexisreviews
mh1001
View Profile
Special user
602 Posts

Profile of mh1001
I don't understand what all these guys are saying by "I don't understand what happened". Well, there are lot of visual effects "fire, ice, smoke, etc...". For me, it was easy to see what's going on, it's a ritual for resurrecting a fish. I can understand however why most people seem to enjoy the first performance more, because it's richer, more things were happening. With this performance, there was only one effect, the appearance of a fish (camera angles probably didn't help), while the purpose of the fire, ice, smoke, ... was to assist this effect.
Doug Trouten
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
471 Posts

Profile of Doug Trouten
I understood that a fish appeared -- or, more precisely, that a piece of ice was transformed into a fish. Everything else seemed like window dressing. The black background beneath the glass bowl made it very difficult to see the fish appear, and the timing of the camera cuts meant that the television audience missed the moment of magic. It apparently wasn't any better live, since the judges also seemed confused about what happened. Sad to see magicians cut, but I guess that's the nature of the show.
It's still magic even if you know how it's done.
Terry Pratchett
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10615 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Yes, it is.

I think there is much to learn from this appearance. First, I applaud Will for his efforts. One of the things I am seeing more and more of is exactly what happened here. He essentially performed closeup in a stage setting. It played very small - the smoke, the goldfish, the eye...it was just to small and compact for the AGT stage, the cameras and both the studio and at home audiences. It's sad to think after weeks of pre-production that was the best they could get from this. If this was the idea of producers or consultants, they should be shot for such poor advice.

I still don't get why closeup guys try to perform on stage at AGT? It plays poorly, rarely gets the response needed from the audience and judge (other than maybe a single initial audition where the stakes are less) and then gets them ousted relatively quickly. Even Mat Franco still struggles with this nightly in Las Vegas. Closeup is designed for closeup and stage for larger audiences. They don't always adapt easily and effective.

And again, one after another closeup guys with "Heidi, will you sign the card you've just selected..." Really? To the audience much of this is just more of the same. Sure it may appear in a playing card one time, a pop-tart another and in someone's something another time, but essentially it is all the same thing.

As performers we must play to the medium, and I think this last performance fell victim to that.
magicnorm
View Profile
Special user
508 Posts

Profile of magicnorm
Did not Matt Franco win on AGT and doing close-up mostly. Seems close-up can be delivered on a big stage with use of big screens to enhance. Copperfield, Alain Choquette and others have used close-up in shows for years. Every show is a learning experience, Wil walks from this taking what needs adjusting and hopefully returns.

NM
mh1001
View Profile
Special user
602 Posts

Profile of mh1001
Quote:
On Aug 10, 2017, Doug Trouten wrote:
The black background beneath the glass bowl made it very difficult to see the fish appear, and the timing of the camera cuts meant that the television audience missed the moment of magic.

Yes, I also agreed on that. But it's different to say that his performance wasn't nice at all or that is hard to follow. It's the most important element, the appearance of the fish, that wasn't "visual" enough.

Mindpro, I somewhat agree with you. That boy was kind of boring. Nothing original in what he is doing. Good sleights, indeed, but that's not enough. Many others were just like that. Yet Will Tsai did something I've never seen, in his two performances. We must applaud him for that. Still, I believe that if presented well, even a close-up act can play well on stage. I think Will's act played well on stage. I just didn't like the camera shot when the fish appeared and the camera cut after his eye changed (his right hand seemed to hold something but because of the cut we don't see what just happened).
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10615 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On Aug 10, 2017, magicnorm wrote:
Did not Matt Franco win on AGT and doing close-up mostly.

Yes, I stated that as well as him still struggling with it as well. Mat won because of his personality and likability first (always most important first - doesn't matter how skilled you are if you do not connect with the audience first). He was an entertainer not just a magician. Two different things.

Quote:
On Aug 10, 2017, mh1001 wrote:
Mindpro, I somewhat agree with you. That boy was kind of boring. Nothing original in what he is doing. Good sleights, indeed, but that's not enough. Many others were just like that. Yet Will Tsai did something I've never seen, in his two performances. We must applaud him for that. Still, I believe that if presented well, even a close-up act can play well on stage. I think Will's act played well on stage. I just didn't like the camera shot when the fish appeared and the camera cut after his eye changed (his right hand seemed to hold something but because of the cut we don't see what just happened).

Yes the kid was good for a 15 year old. Good personality, decent skills but a kid isn't going to win unless it is very special and unique like Jackie Evanco, and even then, there is no place in Vegas for a kid. She capitalized on it with PACs to sustain her AGT momentum rather than Vegas.

The problem with Will is in a closeup situation HE creates the impact, which is what creates the response in the audience/judges. However, on a large medium like AGT the impact was controlled and created with TECH - projection for those in the house and camera coverage and production for the home viewer. Much of that impact was lost and out of his control. Efforts could have been better spent creating or adapting some of his closeup to play larger that could play well on its on on stage and for the medium. That is exactly what I meant when I said "play to the medium."

Still kudos to Will and as I said orignally many lessons to be learned here for other performers or possible AGT candidates.
Ba Ba Booey
View Profile
Special user
In Denver, I have no less than
552 Posts

Profile of Ba Ba Booey
Hmmmm, perhaps Will should have stuck with camera tricks and made a shark appear from his hands into a large tank. Or not. Glad there are a few more magicians left to watch.