The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... :: Hypnotism where to start (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
impulse
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of impulse
I have been thinking for sometime now about hypnotism I want to understand and learn about it. Where do I start what are the best books DVD or ? And sorry if I did not search the forum it's late and I'm sleepy very very sleepy
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1743 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
Ormond McGill's New Encylopedia is the stage hypnotist's bible. If you want to learn hypnotherapy, you need to do a live diploma course.

Barry
Russo
View Profile
Inner circle
So.California / Centl.Florida / retired Florida
1177 Posts

Profile of Russo
I was at a Hyp. lecture once where the Speaker spoke about makeing sure ALL suggestions are wiped from the thought- for instance he spoke how a Hypst made a suggstion about a red light - not clearing it, the subject - ran a red light into an accident-- Be CAREFUL _
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21271 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yeah not really.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10615 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
More misconceptions about Hypnosis
Jakub Vosahlo
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Jakub Vosahlo
Hello, friends Smile.
I think, that the quickest way (not always the best, but I think in this case it's ok) in these times is to watch some real hypno workers online,
learn their words and just go and try...

With hypnosis probably more then with magic it should be much more about practice then theory.
In magic I would say 66% practice 34% theory. In hypnosis I wouldn't be affraid to swith those numbers...
But anyone can see it differently of course. Hundred people - hundred tastes Smile.

Just jump right into it, fail many times and then one day... you have your first hypnotized person!

And that's your actual start of studying hypnosis, because only then you will start to understand, what is actually happening at that time!
That's the best way how to learn hypnosis, I think... Try and Fail, Try and Fail, Try and DONE! ;-)
Jakub
impulse
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of impulse
Any one have any recommended hypnotist to actually watch to see who does this correctly. and are there any tutorial videos on YouTube. I'm trying to find the book mentioned for a good price.
TheManWhoCanReadMinds
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of TheManWhoCanReadMinds
What follows is simply my opinion and given strictly in the spirit of sharing.

I have been performing stage hypnosis professionally for 10 years, and have been exposed to a ton of material (some good, some not so good). I'll spare you the gory details and simply give you my top recommendations:

1. For learning inductions, I HIGHLY recommend checking out Sean Michael Andrews. I've trained with him, lectured alongside him, and performed with him, and I find his material to be top-notch. My favorite product of his is the Instant and Rapid Inductions - Second Edition DVD set. You can find info on that here: http://www.worldsfastesthypnotist.com/learn-hypnosis-dvds/

2. For learning how to properly put together a show and successfully market it, look no further than Geoff Ronning. While you might experience some sticker shock when you first check out his courses, I can assure you they are worth every penny (and one show should cover the cost of a course). You can find his material here: http://www.stagehypnosiscenter.com/products/item25.cfm

3. And, as mindmagic mentioned above, Ormond McGill's New Encyclopedia of Stage Hypnotism is the gold standard. Some new to the craft may thumb their nose at such "classic" literature, but there are many gems hidden within this "bible."

I hope this helps!
In kindest thoughts,
James Scott
The Man Who Can Read Minds
www.TheManWhoCanReadMinds.com
impulse
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of impulse
So what all can be done with hypnotism what is some of the things you all have done
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1743 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
Avoid anything by Jonathan Royle, by the way.
impulse
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of impulse
Good to know thanks.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21271 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On May 27, 2017, impulse wrote:
So what all can be done with hypnotism what is some of the things you all have done

This is so ridiculously broad a question as to be unanswerable.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
impulse
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of impulse
Did I do something wrong ?
I just wanted to know what all can be done with hypnotism.
I'm thinking about leaving the magic Café I feel like I'm being attack and Criticized by certain users
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10615 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Your asking some vague questions which are resulting in very vague and poor answers you aren't seeming to like. It is hard to tell if you are truly sincere about wanting to learn about hypnosis. We know nothing about you. How old are you, where are you from, do you have any performing experience, what are your interests and intent with Hypnosis? There is no context to the questions you are asking. Perhaps providing us with more information will allow others to better answer your questions and assist you.

We have some very skilled hypnotists here that are regularly willing to help, but you need to better clarify what you are asking and your interests.

If you feel your being attacked or can't handle criticism, perhaps entertainment is not for you. trust me, this is nothing.
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2615 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
Impulse - It would be good to give us a lot more information in order to answer your questions in anything close to a helpful way. There's a huge amount of debate on the ins and outs of hypnosis (how it works, if it works, if it's even a thing, etc) and trying to say what's possible with hypnosis would be like saying, "What's possible with science?" I find that many performers don't really like to discuss what they do in their shows, because that's a really quick way to have your material stolen.

My personal recommendations go against the grain a bit. I don't think the Encyclopedia of Stage Hypnosis is a great book to learn from. I think it's a great reference book, and I think every entertainment hypnotist should read it (probably more than once), but it was written some time ago and there has been a lot of development between now and then.

I always recommend Anthony Jacquin's Reality is Plastic (Or The Trilby Connection), followed by some practice, followed by training from a reputable trainer.

Reality Is Plastic/The Trilby Connection both cover basically the same material. Trilby is Jacquin basically taking a student through Reality is Plastic. I found both to be very valuable, since I could get the basic foundation skills of hypnosis from RiP, and then see someone else learning it (and making mistakes and correcting them). Once you have that information you can do it for a little while with friends and such. Then find yourself a good trainer to take it to the next level.

The gulf between the basics and the advanced information is pretty big in my opinion. You can find videos on the basics, watch them a few times, and then give it a shot all within less than 2 hours probably. But you won't know what you're doing, you won't understand how it works (or any of the models of how it works), and you won't have any idea how to handle it if anything goes wrong.

To learn more advanced information I recommend Mike Mandel's courses. He does personal training twice a year (And it always sells out completely) and he also has an online hypnosis academy. The online course will take about 14-16 months to complete if you do it right (As in, study a chapter of videos, take notes, do the exercises, do the homework, etc). Mike Mandel is largely focused on change work and therapy work, but he does have a full chapter on entertainment (and he does do regular shows that sell out to large crowds).

Building a show is something you'll have to work out on your own, really. You can study what's out there, you can read books, you can chat with other entertainers, but ultimately you'll have to figure out what you are going to do.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Boffo eBook: https://tinyurl.com/387sxkcd
impulse
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of impulse
Ok thanks and sorry everyone I have been busy.
I really want to learn the more helpful side of hypnosis.
Hypnosis to hypnotherapy I just ordered a hypnotherapy course just for the basics it's supposed to be a certified course. in North Carolina they don't regulate it like some other states. I know script is a big part of what hypnotist do.with everyone's opinion what is a good route to take to learn both hypnotism and hypnotherapy. I want to help more than be a performer.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21271 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
This is an entertainment forum.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2615 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
Yes this isn't the place to ask about therapy. I still recommend Mike Mandel's course for that. Beyond that we can't really discuss it openly here.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Boffo eBook: https://tinyurl.com/387sxkcd
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
This is where you should be looking. Sign up here you will no doubt find it interesting and useful.

http://hypnothoughts.com/
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10615 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Oh boy...