The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Periods & styles of Magic :: Period style glasses (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
D. Yoder
View Profile
Veteran user
377 Posts

Profile of D. Yoder
I need to get a new pair of prescription glasses. Would like to get a style that looks "old" as in from several hundred years ago. Any Internet sources in USA that are inexpensive would be appreciated..
gomerel
View Profile
Elite user
458 Posts

Profile of gomerel
There are several online sources for period-looking glasses. I have purchased from the following places. In fact, I get all my glasses online. They have all worked out fine. They are not going to be exactly historically accurate, e.g., they will have nose pads, but they will work for most situations.

http://www.eyebuydirect.com
http://www.zennioptical.com
http://www.39dollarglasses.com/
mcharisse
View Profile
Inner circle
York. PA
1226 Posts

Profile of mcharisse
I got mine, period accurate, from Gettysburg Emporium, a local sutler. The were designed by a reenactor optometrist and will take modern prescription lenses. Many lens makers will not mess with old style frames, but will work on these.
malaki
View Profile
Elite user
490 Posts

Profile of malaki
I got in on a deal of two for one at an eyeglass dealer. For my period glasses I ordered a set of "John Lennon" glasses with nearly round lenses and I had them tinted brown. The research I have done showed that people in the east would actually stain their lenses with strong tea to make the first known set of shades.

After I got the glasses, I removed the ear pieces and set a short chain into the henge, allowing me to tie rat tail to the chain. I turned some counterweights from the ornament kits available at Woodcraft, and attached them, with a couple of cloisonne beads to act as counterweights. Unfortunately, the lenses would be pulled out from perpendicular to my eyes. Looking again at various styles of the period, I found where one had a bridge that sprang from the center to touch the forehead. I created this piece and attached it. It has worked beautifully ever since.

The best part of this was taking the glasses into a Lenscrafter location. When I removed them from the case, the "new guy" immediately said "13th century Chinese glasses! I was just telling these folks about them the other day, and here is a pair!" He enthusiastically took them around the show to show to everyone who worked there. He replaced the nose pads for free! Now if I could just get new lenses for them...
Intrepid
View Profile
Inner circle
Silver Spring, MD
1186 Posts

Profile of Intrepid
Quote:
On May 29, 2017, mcharisse wrote:
I got mine, period accurate, from Gettysburg Emporium, a local sutler. The were designed by a reenactor optometrist and will take modern prescription lenses. Many lens makers will not mess with old style frames, but will work on these.

Sounds like the place where I got mine, back when I did civil war reenacting.
Bob
D. Yoder
View Profile
Veteran user
377 Posts

Profile of D. Yoder
Thank you for the advice!
D. Yoder
View Profile
Veteran user
377 Posts

Profile of D. Yoder
Thank you! I drove over to Gettysburg and bought a pair.
I took them to an Amish Craftsman who can resize a pair of lenses that I already have.

[quote]On May 29, 2017, mcharisse wrote:
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1349 Posts

Profile of imgic
Found site called Historical Eyewear...

historiceyewearcompany.com
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
pulpscrypt
View Profile
Special user
Within the shadows
587 Posts

Profile of pulpscrypt
Great info for me. A bit visually challenged, but I'm going to have to try one of these sites.
Thanks