The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Tricks & Effects :: Flexible Mirror review? (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
edseas2
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of edseas2
I wondered if anyone saw Doug Henning perform this effect (maybe by Owen's then?) and what they think of it?

Many thanks.
Tor Egil
View Profile
Elite user
Norway
495 Posts

Profile of Tor Egil
Do you mean the walking thru mirror?
edseas2
View Profile
New user
76 Posts

Profile of edseas2
Uh no. It is called (among other titles) "Owen's Miracle Mirror" (by Owen Supreme Magic), the Paradox Mirror, and also the Flexible mirror, among others and in different levels of quality too.

Basically, a mirror within a frame approximately 7" x 10" (inches) is passed around (in some versions)and shown to be fair (in some versions).

Then, the mirror in its frame is put in to a bag and then a knitting needle or knife is pushed through the bag several times to show that it penetrated through it.

At the conclusion of the effect, the mirror is then visibly bent while it is in the bag.

It may then be passed around.

Henning had it melting under a candle to soften it up although he was not the originator of the effect.
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2765 Posts

Profile of Jordini
Walking throught the mirror was Louis DeMatos (spelling) on world's greatest magic #2
truthteller
View Profile
Inner circle
2584 Posts

Profile of truthteller
I know Bill Shmelk of Wellington Enterprises made many of Henning's props and may have built the prop for him. The one Henning used was different than many of the knock off/cheaper version out today. Well, not different per se, but of an exceedingly high quality.

Henning followed the flexible mirror with Steinmeyer's Walking through a mirror. I too would love to learn the maker of Henning's prop. I have heard it was commercially available at one time, but can't remember any other detail.
Kingry
View Profile
Elite user
Virginia
464 Posts

Profile of Kingry
I have a Mikame version that I regularly use. It looks similar to the Owens. The hinges are completly hidden.
MagicCarisio
View Profile
Inner circle
1061 Posts

Profile of MagicCarisio
I just recently sold one made by Mel Babcock called "Mirror In Frame Penetration" the hinges are also hidden. Mel Babcock is famous for his beautifuly made magic in wood. Unfortunately he does'nt make the "Mirror In Frame Penetration" any longer.
Gerard
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17418 Posts

Profile of joseph
I had the version sold by Abbott's, and it is not examinable. The effect is good, but I liked the version (different) that I saw Henning perform, where he visibly pushed a silk and sponge ball through the mirror. I don't recall the name of the trick, but it is sold at hocus-pocus or Hank Lee....
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1813 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Joseph,
The effect you are describing is different than the flexible mirror.The flexible mirror is as described by edseas2 in the above post.
The one you are talking about is only for a penetration, no bending of the mirror and not put into a bag like the flexible one.
I have both versions at home and would be willing to sell them if anyone is interested.
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
SandyWeber
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of SandyWeber
How timely, there is actually a cute routine for the flexible mirror in this month's Linking Ring by Peter Marucci.

Sandy
Jeff Haas
View Profile
Special user
931 Posts

Profile of Jeff Haas
This trick is also known as "Flexible Glass."

Here's one unusual version:

Click Here!

This month's MAGIC has an ad from a new (to me) prop builder. I have no idea how good they are at building props, but you can check out Here!

The Abbott magic version:

Click Here!

Jeff
Julian Kestrel
View Profile
Loyal user
269 Posts

Profile of Julian Kestrel
In some of the descriptions for the "flexible Mirror" they talk about removing the mirror from the frame other's don't. Does anyone remebe whether Henning's came out of the frame first?

Julian Kestrel
Don
View Profile
Loyal user
216 Posts

Profile of Don
Doug Henning walked throgh a mirror and he also did the flexible mirror.

His props where mostly made by Owen Magic,Wellington made a number of props particularly his last run on broadway in Merlin. Doug Henning removed his glass from the frame,I remember as he did it for Merv on the Merv Griffen Show,he used Owen Magic Supremes flexible mirror.

OWEN makes the finest props of rare woods and metal around, and the props can stand up to years of use and still look good and be functional.

I have an Owen Magic flexible glass and it is a beauty
and is made of a rare wood. There are several other makers such as Abbotts,Ickle pickle and Sterlini.

Don
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
I love the Owen model! Wish they were still in business. Smile
Mister Mystery
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Quote:
On Nov 6, 2004, Julian Kestrel wrote:
In some of the descriptions for the "flexible Mirror" they talk about removing the mirror from the frame other's don't. Does anyone remebe whether Henning's came out of the frame first?

Julian Kestrel

I have seen 2 different videos of Doug performing a Flexible Mirror routine. If I remember correctly, both routines were very similar other than maybe a few minor tweaks. I belive he removed the mirror from the frame near the beginning of each routine.
Mister Mystery
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7580 Posts

Profile of RNK
Yes, he does remove the mirror before the penetration.

I did order the Ickle Pickle version.
Check out Bafflingbob.com
magicbyswh
View Profile
Inner circle
North East Tennessee
1549 Posts

Profile of magicbyswh
The best on the market right now is the flexible mirror by Tony Karpinski. Top quality

https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/stage-......-mirror/
Creator of Cereal Brainwave, Creator of the Tossed out Book
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2780 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
Quote:
On Jan 11, 2024, magicbyswh wrote:
The best on the market right now is the flexible mirror by Tony Karpinski. Top quality

https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/stage-......-mirror/

no pic of the back. can you see the hinges?
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7580 Posts

Profile of RNK
I used Ickle Pickle version for the 1st time for about 40 kids and 60 adults. Both kids and adults loved it. If you wanted to buy this and were on the fence, I definitely think it is a winner. Kids as young as five and even the 4-year-olds understood and were made amazed the needle could penetrate the mirror. They all love the bending part as well.
Check out Bafflingbob.com
o2b2b2
View Profile
New user
70 Posts

Profile of o2b2b2
Is the dirty work on the newer Ickle Pickle version concealed in the frame, or visible if you show the back?