The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: 'Nothing But The Truth' by Craig Petty :: Craig Petty review show starts today (17 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Drtriage
View Profile
Elite user
My garden fence has
463 Posts

Profile of Drtriage
Quote:
On Apr 14, 2017, writeall wrote:
I love it. Short, to the point, honest and gritty.

The only thing I'd change is maybe drop the English accent, or at least tone it down a bit.

Which country's accent would you like him to substitute (after all he is an Englishman speaking English)?
Bande
View Profile
Elite user
433 Posts

Profile of Bande
Craig,

Really glad you are back --always appreciated your videos. Would love to see you go back to the "just got it out of the box" and then couple it with your candid reviews. Watching a real performer use a product is very valuable. For example, would have been amazing to see you perform Einhorn's effect, then to $100 BS and then compare them -- would make your commentary really come alive. Just my $.02
PRINCE
View Profile
Inner circle
1448 Posts

Profile of PRINCE
Quote:
On Apr 14, 2017, Drtriage wrote:
Quote:

The only thing I'd change is maybe drop the English accent, or at least tone it down a bit.

Which country's accent would you like him to substitute (after all he is an Englishman speaking English)?

Lol
PRINCE
View Profile
Inner circle
1448 Posts

Profile of PRINCE
Quote:
On Apr 14, 2017, Bande wrote:
Craig,

Really glad you are back --always appreciated your videos. Would love to see you go back to the "just got it out of the box" and then couple it with your candid reviews. Watching a real performer use a product is very valuable. For example, would have been amazing to see you perform Einhorn's effect, then to $100 BS and then compare them -- would make your commentary really come alive. Just my $.02

Agree 👍🏼
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
2384 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
Quote:

That has to be the funniest thing I have ever read. I'll practice my American accent for you. I think I could pull off a guy from Texas!!
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
2384 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
Quote:
Craig,

The problem with 'Opening It Up Half An Hour Ago And Doing It Already' is I could never do the routine justice. Even the simplest of tricks require time and effort to look smooth. So I might make a product look worse because of my handling and I don't want that.

See the problem?
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Apr 15, 2017, Craig Petty wrote:
Quote:
Craig,

The problem with 'Opening It Up Half An Hour Ago And Doing It Already' is I could never do the routine justice. Even the simplest of tricks require time and effort to look smooth. So I might make a product look worse because of my handling and I don't want that.

See the problem?

What, you mean like David Penn on the WPR?
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
2384 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
Quote:
On Apr 15, 2017, pegasus wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Craig,

See the problem?

What, you mean like David Penn on the WPR?

Dave is an awesome magician. All I can do is go on my own experience. When I was on the WPR I did a lot of demos and the majority could have been done better which isn't fair on creators. So I'm not saying no but I need to think it through carefully.
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Of course. Was only joking. Lol
Colin (C.J.)
View Profile
Special user
564 Posts

Profile of Colin (C.J.)
Quote:
Quote:

That has to be the funniest thing I have ever read. I'll practice my American accent for you. I think I could pull off a guy from Texas!!

I'm sure the guy from Texas would really appreciate that Smile

Looking forward to your next show (rant)! Smile
Darrin Cook
View Profile
Special user
621 Posts

Profile of Darrin Cook
Craig,

I really enjoyed the review. Magic is a unique product in that they can't really tell you exactly what you're buying and there are no refunds.

Is someone with 100 "Floating Pickle"s going to give it a bad review and kill his sales?

It's too easy to get burned on magic purchases, so I feel like there's plenty of room for another review show.

Great stuff. Keep up the good work.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6778 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Apr 15, 2017, Darrin Cook wrote:
Craig,

Magic is a unique product in that they can't really tell you exactly what you're buying and there are no refunds.

Always surprises me that people are still locked into this mindset from last century.
Many dealers offer refunds or at the very least a store credit, which is essentially just as good because 99% of the time you're just going to buy another effect anyway.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4389 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Nice review, Craig. I would suggest you don't worry about more sophisticated production quality. No problem with the production quality. Maybe you can just continue to pick strange places to do your review.

Good work!

kj
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4389 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
I would like to see Craig get a section on the Café for his show, and I would love to see it done weekly.

kj
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On Apr 11, 2017, mikenewman wrote:
I just saw someone doing just this. I was scared for them. I couldn't do it. Go do a gig the day before, or even a few weeks before without knowing or having a plan. But I've seen it in person and it's so bad!!!!

Craig is correct in that it's bad for MAGIC! Not just the inept performer! Ya know, Tom Cutts made a comment that really bothers me. Paraphrasing, he said pretty much that there are those "magicians" that are not even skilled with so much as a TT! That there should be an "instant switch" device of sorts, that eliminates all skill. No practice. So he/she buys it. Instant change! Wow! But the poor dolt was never shown how to ditch it, since it cannot be examined. So it gets awkwardly pocketed and all mystery evaporates.

The guy SO inept, that he cannot use so much as a TT...should not be encouraged to buy "easy, no skill" stuff. Specifically to be bought, opened and shown? That's not the Magic we do. Those are just one-off tricks. Magic is in THE MIND...

Doug
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5935 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Quote:
On Apr 16, 2017, Dougini wrote:
Ya know, Tom Cutts made a comment that really bothers me. Paraphrasing, he said pretty much that there are those "magicians" that are not even skilled with so much as a TT!

Good. That idea should bother a lot of people. But it is a reality. The "market place" IS all about easier, faster, more visual, safer.

But more directly to your words, Dougini... Do you know if a clean up is taught, or are you just jumping to a conclusion?

At the end of the night, the magic isn't in the prop. Nor is it in the method. So if a new release can achieve an illusion and do it with a simpler, safer handling, it does indeed solve a "problem".

Now, the real problem is that those coming into magic are not being taught to think about what is more magical. Then again, maybe it's always been that way. What is more entertaining these days, a discussion on magic theory or a myopic rantrum?
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7130 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On Apr 16, 2017, Tom Cutts wrote:
But more directly to your words, Dougini...Do you know if a clean up is taught...?

I do not. It should be. I guess my point is...are the buyers going to learn a (quite major I might add) Magic Move to clean up? Will they adopt the psychology to keep the pace going, while getting ready for the next (?) effect? This is, as you say, for the masses. to "SELL". As many as possible. To whomever. I subscribe to a different Magic Mindset, I guess.

It's all good...

Doug
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5935 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
I don't know if it's all good, but it certainly exists and is flourishing.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5162 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Loved episode II Craig! Your conviction and emotion is what drives your posts. It's clear that you care about the art of magic and want to see it be relevant and evolve.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
writeall
View Profile
Special user
Midland, Michigan
930 Posts

Profile of writeall
Alright, sorry about that accent thing. I don't know what I was thinking.

On a more constructive note, and now that we are a couple episodes in, it might be time for Craig to start solving crimes with his magical talents. Otherwise, well, the show is unlikely to be renewed for a second season. Entertainment is a tough game. Audiences are fickle. Today's hit becomes tomorrow's trivia question. If we aren't moving forward here, we're falling back. Crimesolving? Check. Tasteful nudity? Something to consider...