The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Pasteboard Frolics :: Small Hands (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
bwinn
View Profile
New user
Philadelphia, PA
12 Posts

Profile of bwinn
I am 13 and am new to cardistry. Am I at a disadvantage because of my smaller hands?
Abracadabra, Hocuspocus, and all that Jazz
Googoomafint11
View Profile
New user
I actually have more than only
28 Posts

Profile of Googoomafint11
I found when I started magic a few years ago that I did have difficulty getting flourishes to work for me, because of my small hands, so it is possible that it may be a bit harder. Cardistry does require more manipulating, but I also think that smaller hands aren't an excuse. It all comes down to practice, and if you practice enough the size of your hands won't matter.
Error 404
Code _signature_ not found
dapo24
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of dapo24
I'll just leave you with the quote. "I got tired of all the magicians saying they're hands are too small. So I did the one handed riffle shuffle longtidually" - Richard Turner. And he's *** right. You can do most of the stuff when you're 13, in 2 to 3 years, you won't have any problems. There are no small hands, there is just lack of practice Smile
iccemann101
View Profile
New user
Dark Side of the Moon
50 Posts

Profile of iccemann101
Well put Googoomafint11 and dapo24. Practice is the key. everything else is an excuse to not practice.
macc
View Profile
Loyal user
207 Posts

Profile of macc
Here is something I wrote in another thread about small hands:

I also have very small hands and when I started out with cardistry/flourishing I wasn´t able to do a thumb cut...so many things did seem impossible with my small hands.
And I thought I should give up on cardistry because my hands are too small.

But...it all comes down to pracitce...improve dexterity....work your way around difficulties.

There are very skilled childs out there, Lee Asher has very small hands and then there´s Mahdi Gilbert,
he doesn´t even have hands, performs card magic and fooled Penn and Teller!

And...i advice against using bridge sized cards. I also thought I would have to use them....but gladly I sticked to poker sized cards.

Here is a video by Aaron Fisher about small hands and why not to use bridge sized cards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=re2G6XWzBTA
Adam Meier
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of Adam Meier
Many great card experts has small hands. No worries.
adrianrbf
View Profile
Regular user
Switzerland
115 Posts

Profile of adrianrbf
Quote:
On Mar 22, 2018, macc wrote:
And...i advice against using bridge sized cards. I also thought I would have to use them....but gladly I sticked to poker sized cards.

Here is a video by Aaron Fisher about small hands and why not to use bridge sized cards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=re2G6XWzBTA

Honestly, I don't think that bridge sized cards are generally a bad thing. You see, here in Switzerland, nobody except magicians uses poker sized cards. Our national card game, "Jass" (no, not "Jazz") is played with a 36 card deck, all available decks are bridge sized. 52 cards decks are often used for solitaire (we call it "patience", pronounced like the French do it) - again, bridge sized cards (or smaller!) are used. Thus, if you do a trick with a borrowed deck, where I live, it will always be a bridge sized deck.

There are three main advantages of poker sized cards, in my opinion:
1) It is easier to find high quality poker sized cards.
2) Most gaff cards only exist in poker size.
3) Flourishes look (even) better.

The main advantage of bridge sized cards: somehow, they just feel better in my hands. Poker sized cards feel like a foreign object, bridge sized cards feel familiar. This is, of course, very personal.