The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Step right up! :: Don Driver....? (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
cbguy
View Profile
Veteran user
350 Posts

Profile of cbguy
I just heard Don has passed away.

He's the one guy who can probably sell a Svengali Deck to Jesus : )

Don will be missed.
Riley
View Profile
Special user
Swansea UK
955 Posts

Profile of Riley
RIP Don. Thanks for all your help.
silksock
View Profile
Regular user
105 Posts

Profile of silksock
Sad news...Don was a great guy helped a lot of people in the pitching business.
Frosty
View Profile
Loyal user
Texas
240 Posts

Profile of Frosty
I'm so sad...! Another legendary pitchman passes away...
This one really hurts!

You will be missed Don...!
Phil Ainsworth
View Profile
Regular user
180 Posts

Profile of Phil Ainsworth
Very sad to hear, I didn't know Don well as I'm still a newcomer to pitching, but that didn't stop Don kindly offering me advice and tips on pitching which has helped me no end.
Don's legacy is a whole new wave of Svengali pitchmen, continuing the line.
RIP Don, legend of the pitch
Charles Gaff
View Profile
Loyal user
204 Posts

Profile of Charles Gaff
RIP Don, thanks for showing me how to build the tip!
LeoH
View Profile
Elite user
437 Posts

Profile of LeoH
Don was a great guy. Anytime I needed an answer to a question, he was right there with the answer. RIP, Don.
Bill Thompson
View Profile
Elite user
Mississippi
422 Posts

Profile of Bill Thompson
I had a phone conversation with Don a few years ago. After some stupid post of mine, Don contacted me and told me to give him a call. That call lasted a couple of hours and he taught me about pitching and what to pitch and what not to. It was enlightening. I will never forget it.

Don not only taught the pitch but he gave you real secrets... how to make money, where to buy from. He will be missed.
"To let understanding stop at what cannot be understood is a high attainment.
Those who cannot do it will be destroyed on the lathe of heaven." - Chuang Tse
isaacfawlkes
View Profile
Loyal user
FL
256 Posts

Profile of isaacfawlkes
Don was not only a great pitchman but he was a wonderful Human Being. I met him many years ago when he introduced himself to me at the Tennessee Renaissance fair. He came every year and we became friend. I will never forget when he and I visited Tabby at his home in Tn. We spent the entire afternoon there. He showed us his shop and studio. and spent the time talking about all of our experiences. I was not only a great time but but was a lesson in the art and business in magic. I spent an afternoon with Don at a flea market as he pitched I learned. Truly a great and wonderful man that I was lucky enough to be able to call my friend.
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2719 Posts

Profile of sethb
What a shame. Don was a great guy, a real prince. His posts here were always generous and helpful to all, with plenty of hard-to-come-by information. As I discovered in more than one instance, you ignored his advice at your own peril!

He will be missed, but he also left a great legacy. RIP, Don. I'm sure he's teaching St. Peter a great DL! SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
JasonK
View Profile
New user
Ohio
35 Posts

Profile of JasonK
Didn't know Don personally, but he did offer a lot of great advice. RIP, Don.
itsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
middle earth
1117 Posts

Profile of itsmagic
Just started reading up on pitching Svens and see a lot of good advice from Don. Just bought his dvd from lybrary. RIP.
Frosty
View Profile
Loyal user
Texas
240 Posts

Profile of Frosty
Hello itsmagic! Welcome to this corner of the Café! Im glad you posted here...!

Sad to see that many here in the Café seem to not care much of a great man passing away, but yet you barely read about him and give your condolences...! A man that gave so much advice and help.... Yes, he had a strong character but gave so much here with his knowledge yet hold nothing back..!

I believe LeoH posted of his passing on the "Believe it or Not" part of this Café where many knew him yet seems no one cares! NOT ONE RESPONSE! Sad indeed!

Sorry for my criticism... but I get the feeling we live in a very selfish world!

I'm still bummed of his passing (and I was barely getting to know him) but am glad of those who did give their respects here....

Maybe a simple RIP would suffice whether you liked him or not!

Or Maybe it's just me as I really looked up to him.... Don't know..!
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2478 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
NO ONE? Not so - though it's a small gesture I am repeating his "Ballycast" interview and telling the listeners why - scheduling it soon.
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
LeoH
View Profile
Elite user
437 Posts

Profile of LeoH
Thanks, Ross. Although most remember him as one of the kings of the Svengali pitch, he was also a very decent magician. The Ballycast interview with Don is worth the time.
Frosty
View Profile
Loyal user
Texas
240 Posts

Profile of Frosty
That's great news Rossmacrae!

Don Drivers Ballycast is great..!

Also David Walkers (this one is a must listen to) and the other episodes there are all worth listening to as well...

By the way, I always thought you have the perfect voice for a pitchman or carnival barker! LOL!

Thanks Ross and have a good one!
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2478 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
BALLYCAST #101 - DON DRIVER (repeat)

Episode now online.

http://ballycast.com/?p=3147
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
Paul Budd
View Profile
Elite user
It's a shame he's only made
438 Posts

Profile of Paul Budd
I never met Don, but he certainly was a master of the pitch!
His face isn't really this long in-person!
New user
1 Post

Profile of Adamarmstrong1
Hi everyone, you won't recognise my name (new account) I've been away from magic for a few years. Just saw this and made an account to post my condolences.

RIP Don, you were always on this board freely giving a lifetime's worth of knowledge and experience. I'm sure there are many people making money today that owe all their successes to you. RIP
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
I only just found out recently Don had passed away...I had many years of conversations on here with Don and used much of his advice to use my own pitch for many years at tradeshows selling Svengali decks by the thousand. Have had a break from pitching for a couple of years but recently been approached to return to only specific events.. sorry Don wont be around to pass on his knowledge and friendly advice..RIP my friend..