The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Right or Wrong? :: Issue with a purchase from Sankey (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
thecromulent
View Profile
Veteran user
Brooklyn, NY
390 Posts

Profile of thecromulent
I was really hoping not to have to write this rather long note, but I’m not sure what else to do. I purchased Jay Sankey’s “D.O.A.” right before Christmas, and I’ve had nothing but problems ever since. The first issue, which I noticed upon watching the DVD, was that there is a crucial and unavoidable moment in the routine, when all the heat in the world is on the gimmicked props, and there is a really high chance (even unavoidable) of flashing the gaff. Jay does not explain how to handle this moment on the DVD—there is never even a complete performance—so on January 13th, I sent the following message (edited a bit to protect the secret):

"Hi Jay. I was thrilled to be able to order D.O.A. over the holidays. I'm returning to magic after a 20-year hiatus, and it seems like a great effect to add to my new/rebuilt repertoire. The method is ingenious, and I'm really looking forward to getting it on its proverbial feet. But it seems like there is a key step left off the DVD: how do you [make a necessary move] without flashing the gimmick? You never go through a full performance on the video, nor do you discuss this crucial part of the routine. Any pointers or tips would be greatly appreciated."

I submitted this to his email and also through the “contact us” page on the website. No response. I then decided to work on the routine anyway—maybe things would become clear when I actually worked through it with the props in my hands? But then I found a bigger, more crucial problem. Again, I don’t want to give away any secrets, but suffice it to say that the gimmick has two elements, which must move independently of each other. That’s how things work on the video, and that’s the behavior they must exhibit in order for the effect to work. My gimmicks were stuck tight. I even recorded a video of me shaking the one, and trying to dislodge the other, to no avail. So on January 26th, I wrote again (again, edited):

"Hi there. I'm still hoping to get some tips on the problem below, but while working on D.O.A. I've run into a much bigger one: the [thing 1] doesn't want to slip out of the [thing 2]. I'm not sure if the cutout in the [thing 2] is too small or the [thing 2] is too big, but the [2] gets wedged in there, making the effect pretty much unusable. Please see the attached photo and video. Have you run across this before? I'd love a slightly smaller [2] or a [1] with a larger bore. Otherwise I'm afraid I'm going to have to return this one."

Seems pretty reasonable, right? I asked for tips on how to get it to work, or a replacement of one or more of the elements. Again, this effect would not work at all with the props I had, even if I solved the (as yet unanswered) problem that I first raised.

One day later (January 26th), I got the following response:

"Hi Evan,
Sorry you've been having trouble with this trick, but we've been selling this exact product for years without a single complaint. Also, there are no refund or exchanges on magic tricks (you'll find this a standard policy in the magic industry) because a big part of what you are purchasing is the secret - and that of course cannot be 'returned.' All the best,
Eric"

As you can imagine, I was pretty steamed, so I shot back this email the same day:

"Hi Eric

"Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

"Whether or not anybody else has complained about this product is not really relevant. I'm facing two issues that make it unusable, as outlined in the thread below, and I would greatly appreciate it if you addressed them. The first is a question of a key performance moment that is not covered on the DVD (I watched it again last night, just to make sure), and the second is a manufacturing error that keeps the product from behaving as it does on the DVD--and indeed must behave for the trick to work. Your note resolved neither of these issues,

"I understand that the main thing that a customer pays for is the secret to a trick, but to be at all valuable, the secret must facilitate a real-world performance. After making this purchase, I now know understand about 90% of how Jay performs D.O.A. using _his_ setup, but my setup is still unusable.

"I'd rather not return it--I'd much prefer to get it properly up and running. As far as returns not being standard policy, I've made returns on several occasions for various reasons, including gimmicks not working as expected, methods being incompatible with my mediocre eyesight, and gimmicked props coming in unexpected and undesirable colors. Most retailers are fairly accommodating, especially when product flaws make something unperformable, but even when they just make items incompatible with my style or abilities.

"Thanks.

"Evan"

Since then, radio silence. So my question is this: am I crazy? Doing some cursory research, I see that there are others who have had issues with Sankey’s customer service and sales practices. But I also know that buying magic is a unique circumstance. I can return a pair of shoes to Zappos over and over until I find something I like, but once I know a secret I can’t give it back. On the other hand, we are really buying more than secrets—we are buying routines that are practical and performable. I’m not looking for anybody here to clear this up for me (at just $13, this is actually a pretty well-priced lesson in caveat emptor), but for just a little sympathy and validation.
Yuan Moons
View Profile
Veteran user
348 Posts

Profile of Yuan Moons
There is no Eric.
thecromulent
View Profile
Veteran user
Brooklyn, NY
390 Posts

Profile of thecromulent
Are you saying that "Eric" is a figment of my imagination (quite possible) or an alter ego for Jay?
Yuan Moons
View Profile
Veteran user
348 Posts

Profile of Yuan Moons
Quote:
On Feb 3, 2017, thecromulent wrote:
Are you saying that "Eric" is a figment of my imagination (quite possible) or an alter ego for Jay?

You didn't imagine it.
thecromulent
View Profile
Veteran user
Brooklyn, NY
390 Posts

Profile of thecromulent
Interesting.
stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1443 Posts

Profile of stempleton
Search through the vast threads on Sanky issues. It would make for a great movie, or study in abnormal psychology.
thecromulent
View Profile
Veteran user
Brooklyn, NY
390 Posts

Profile of thecromulent
Ugh. I've looked around a little, and it seems like a running theme. I'm just glad that I only wasted $13. The other purchase I made at the same time--Invisible--was pretty solid. The weird thing is that when I was last heavily involved in the community, in the 90s, Sankey was the new hot thing. It's weird to come back and find things so different.
Danny Kazam
View Profile
Inner circle
1516 Posts

Profile of Danny Kazam
Not Eric again. Sankey is still pulling that crap? Wow.
Keep your dreams alive. Understand to achieve anything requires faith and belief in yourself, vision, hard work, determination, and dedication. Remember all things are possible for those who believe.
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2204 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Industry standards in Magic is no refunds, only exchanges if there is a problem with the props. The other day someone noticed something after 2 months of use and emailed Jake Jr. about it. He had
the customer ship it back at Jr's expense and a new one sent out post haste. If you can't open a PayPal reversal then go straight to your bank or CC company. They'll help you., Make sure you include
everything that came with your purchase or your CC company may side with the seller if anything is missing.
Licensed Steve Dusheck Manufacturer and distributor visit www.airshipmagic.com
thecromulent
View Profile
Veteran user
Brooklyn, NY
390 Posts

Profile of thecromulent
Thanks for your input Jake. I'm not really interested in spending $10 or more for return shipping to Canada for a $13 effect. I would just love it if they took some responsibility for a clearly flawed product.
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2204 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Understood, at least you know for future reference, hopefully you'll never has to use that option.
Licensed Steve Dusheck Manufacturer and distributor visit www.airshipmagic.com
thecromulent
View Profile
Veteran user
Brooklyn, NY
390 Posts

Profile of thecromulent
Yup. As I said above, it's a pretty low price for a valuable lesson. Thanks again for your advice.
MagicalEducator
View Profile
Veteran user
369 Posts

Profile of MagicalEducator
Based on my bad experiences with this company I vowed to never purchase anything from him again. I haven't and that's nearly 10 years ago. He was beyond rude.
Voted "Canada's Most Inspirational Magician"
www.MagicalEducator.com

Check out my column "Magic is Education" in Vanish Magazine
paul180
View Profile
Loyal user
219 Posts

Profile of paul180
I will never buy another Sankey product since they have moved to online videos, instead of DVDs. Just a pet peeve with me.
A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a foolish man can learn from a wise answer.

Attributing negativity to a topic or post doesn't make the topic or post negative,
it shines a light on the negativity of the person or persons, making the attributions.

BEWARE these Debbie downers and anything they say. They simply lack the self esteem or good will, to be positive or productive. Your belief in self, is more
important and is all that matters, for your success to be glorious.
thecromulent
View Profile
Veteran user
Brooklyn, NY
390 Posts

Profile of thecromulent
I actually prefer online videos, as long as they're downloadable. I watch them on my iPad at home or on my phone during my commute. I end up ripping all the DVDs to the computer anyway.
paul180
View Profile
Loyal user
219 Posts

Profile of paul180
Quote:
On Sep 14, 2017, thecromulent wrote:
I end up ripping all the DVDs to the computer anyway.

Some would say that was wrong?
A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a foolish man can learn from a wise answer.

Attributing negativity to a topic or post doesn't make the topic or post negative,
it shines a light on the negativity of the person or persons, making the attributions.

BEWARE these Debbie downers and anything they say. They simply lack the self esteem or good will, to be positive or productive. Your belief in self, is more
important and is all that matters, for your success to be glorious.
thecromulent
View Profile
Veteran user
Brooklyn, NY
390 Posts

Profile of thecromulent
I don't think it's wrong, ethically or legally. I'm just making copies for my own use. It's not like I'm sharing or selling the digital copies or the originals.
Koolmagic114
View Profile
Veteran user
314 Posts

Profile of Koolmagic114
I myself hate on line video instructions. As I do not like to sit in front of my computer and watch stuff. I do watch my On line nstructions while resting before going to bed. Certainly does not make it easy to practice or learn. I certainly miss the days of getting a nice hard copy DVD. Sitting in front of my TV and learning.

But if you have paid for the download and you are not reselling it there is no reasonable n not to burn yourself a hard copy. I do it with all of Mine and put it with the trick. There is a reason there is a button and link to save it to your hard drive.
Eddy

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Co-Creator of "TAGZ" / "Iced Over" / " TelePad" / "Penigma"
www.magicianslair.com
debjit
View Profile
Loyal user
India
213 Posts

Profile of debjit
Quote:
On Feb 4, 2017, Yuan Moons wrote:
There is no Eric.

Lol I had got a reply from Eric once too. This is pretty funny if it's true Smile
mykindofmagic
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of mykindofmagic
I believe you have been unfairly treated and appreciate you taking the time to alert the community.

I have unsubscribed from the promotional emails but would be delighted to hear if all has been resolved.