The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Catch this if you can! :: Dube juggling knives (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
Hello I was wondering what you guys thought of the juggling knives from dube or if they are overpriced and there is better
cbguy
View Profile
Veteran user
350 Posts

Profile of cbguy
Kyoki, you know my website address. There is a relatively new video recently put up on the bottom right side of the "ABOUT" page.

I am doing my juggling act using knives. I have always used Dubes.

They are absolutely the best. Perfectly balanced and you know the kind of work I do, so those knives take a serious beating. I've had this set for probably the last 6 years or so and they will probably last another 10 years before they have to be replaced.

If you want to get knives, definitely get the dubes, BUT also get a decent set of heavy clubs as well because you will want to learn with the clubs. Once you can do a basic cascade with the clubs for a minute or longer, without any drops, only then should you move over to the knives.

You also want the clubs to practice any new tricks before you try them with the knives.

The clubs I use are PX3 and they weight about 1/2 pound the knives weigh in at 3/4 of a pound.

Hope this helps
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
Thanks for the reply. I'll check out your video in just a second. I can do about 80 throws consistantly with clubs right now bit am looking at what I want to go on to next. Do you have a first trick with
cbguy
View Profile
Veteran user
350 Posts

Profile of cbguy
I do not do any tricks with the knives. Just a cascade as I walk across thousands of shards of broken glass.

It works because there is danger...a build of anticipation and a lot of comedy.

The downside to juggling is "most" jugglers are disconnected from their audience because they are so focused on being technically accurate. That is a double edged sword because even the greatest of tricks will fall by the wayside if the performer doesn't connect with the audience.

My character overshadows ALL of the magic and juggling I do because the character is a larger than life goofball. This allows me to do things that are not as technically demanding with results that are extra-ordinary because of the character.

I'm not an ego driven guy, so difficult moves don't interest me. However, that doesn't mean I can't do the difficult stuff I've just learned over time to eliminate as many moves as possible, bringing the juggling or magic to the bare minimum and maximize the laughs. This is something each performer has to decide on. What works for me may not work for you, but parts of it will. The only way to figure it out is in the field.