The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Where to put it all... :: Travel case for an act (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
MJ Marrs
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
1121 Posts

Profile of MJ Marrs
Quote:
On Feb 5, 2017, Dick Oslund wrote:
I hope so! It's really quite simple. I'm almost embarrassed to show you!!! It's certainly nothing "fancy"

It may take a couple weeks to find someone who can shoot some pics.

I'll try to figure a way to identify the variious spaces.

That would be golden to see how a true professional organized a lifetime of performance props!!!

I remember Michael Close mentioning a tip that he learned from Billy McComb about using zip-lock type bags to organize props in a briefcase or something similar. Simple idea yet pure genius. It's all about the details in any job. Unfortunately it's often those little things that make you or break you and are often overlooked.
WitchDocChris
View Profile
Inner circle
York, PA
2615 Posts

Profile of WitchDocChris
Eric Mead uses shaving kit bags to organize props for full sets. Very nice for when you're packing to travel.
Christopher
Witch Doctor

Psycho Seance book: https://tinyurl.com/y873bbr4
Boffo eBook: https://tinyurl.com/387sxkcd
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
TOMSONI (Johnny Thompson) used shaving kits, also. He had "so many" bits that used "so many" small gimmicks, and props, it just made it easier to set the act. We shared a dressing room at a convention. He must have had a couple dozen of the kits! (I hope he got a wholesale price on the little kits!!! I always envied Johnny's talent! Jay Marshall, Dick Stoner, Al Goshman, and I "caught" Johnny at the Playboy Club in Chicago, when he was breaking in the TOMSONI act. --a GREAT evening!

Billy McComb, also used many small props and gimmicks. The zip-loc bags were ideal for his work. He would be on a cruise ship for several weeks. He had hours to open the bags and, get set. Billy was a friend, whose work, I truly admired! He was an artist!

Because of my "situation", it was necessary to have all props, INSTANTLY AVAILABLE when I opened the prop case. I used the "pigeon hole method". I'm still trying to find someone who can take a couple of pictures of the prop case. (WATCH THIS SPACE!!!)
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
gadfly3d
View Profile
Special user
963 Posts

Profile of gadfly3d
Hey Dick do you remember one of the first time I worked the Abbott Get Together you and I think it was: Karrel Fox came up and wanted to seeinside of the catalog case I used? Your comment was "must be a pro-duct tape and card board. I just recently replaced the case but this with foam core and duct tape, In my defense I got the foam core board at the Dollar store, do I keep my professional cred?

Gil Scott
gadfly3d
View Profile
Special user
963 Posts

Profile of gadfly3d
Hey Dick do you remember one of the first time I worked the Abbott Get Together you and I think it was: Karrel Fox came up and wanted to seeinside of the catalog case I used? Your comment was "must be a pro-duct tape and card board. I just recently replaced the case but this with foam core and duct tape, In my defense I got the foam core board at the Dollar store, do I keep my professional cred?

Gil Scott
frankieacemagic
View Profile
Elite user
498 Posts

Profile of frankieacemagic
Hey Frank!

I purchased a rolling stacking tool case like you have. I wanted to figure out a way to use it but it's just so plastic and tool boxy. I'd love to see how you "dressed it up." Are you still using it? I love the idea of being able to drape cloth over the bottom two cases and covering the lid with something to make it look really professional. Any chance of getting a pic or two?

Thanks Frank!!
kmf
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of kmf
Frankie, what case do you use? I use a fatmax tool case and put a table skirt on it to make it look more professional but I need to go lighter. I would like to use a case and a stand. Thank you.
frankieacemagic
View Profile
Elite user
498 Posts

The s is ALL I have been thinking about these past few days. At 43 years old with a full time teaching job, my body is FEELING THE BURN...and not in a good way Smile

I'm trying to lighten everything.

Here's a short video clip in which you can see my case. I had it custom made. Standard ATA case.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=G5vBeUPCQng
frankieacemagic
View Profile
Elite user
498 Posts

I wish it were easier to attach pics Smile
kmf
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of kmf
In the face painting world there is a case that is similar its called a craft and go but it sells for over $400 plus isn't so deep. Its dimensions are 28" x 13.5" x 6.5" and its legs are attached and weighs less than 20 lbs. I'll have to keep looking around. Thanks for the quick response.
kmf
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of kmf
Have you seen the topic Making A Table From A Carry On Case (http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?forum=26&topic=575042) Looks like it might be a lightweight alternative and easy to carry.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Quote:
On Apr 22, 2017, frankieacemagic wrote:
Hey Frank!

I purchased a rolling stacking tool case like you have. I wanted to figure out a way to use it but it's just so plastic and tool boxy. I'd love to see how you "dressed it up." Are you still using it? I love the idea of being able to drape cloth over the bottom two cases and covering the lid with something to make it look really professional. Any chance of getting a pic or two?

Thanks Frank!!

I have two covers for this. One for the top lid, one for the bottom 2 cases. Think woman's black skirt or a spandex tube shape.

They are made of stretchy spandex type material. I just stretch one over the bottom 2 cases and cover the wheels.
Then the top case locks on. I stretch the other (much smaller) over the lid of the top case and it drapes down toward me on the inside.

On stage it just looks like a case wrapped in black spandex, like many tables and other items at events and is, eventually, hopefully, forgotten by the audience.

I've since purchased another top case for my close-up items and the un-pictured open milk crate, type case just to hold extra things that wouldn't fit anywhere else.
Everything I perform with regardless of the event is in that stack.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Nickoli Sharpe
View Profile
Regular user
Worldwide
160 Posts

Profile of Nickoli Sharpe
These case are the bomb.
If you work the streets you can stand on top.
My buddy does his whole show atop one of these cases.
VolunteerMagic
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of VolunteerMagic
I'm planning on doing small shows in the future. I found this camping bag a while back that has A LOT of storage and has a built-in table that can fold up as needed. It's pretty nice, especially since I'm a bit short. Unfortunately they don't sell them anymore, so I have to hope I don't gouge mine or anything.

https://www.rei.com/media/product/828504
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Colton Raelund, the young man whom I've been mentoring, visited a few weeks ago, and took a picture of my prop case! He promised to publish it, here! I'll remind him gently of his promise!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
ColtonRaelund
View Profile
Regular user
COLTON ZOROASTER RAELUND
116 Posts

Profile of ColtonRaelund
Give me a little more time. I am having trouble getting the files small enough to fit here! I emailed you a few of them in the meantime.
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2334 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Found this old topic while looking for recommendations on prop cases. The aforementioned photos of Dick Oslund's case never seem to have made it on here , so for anyone else who is researching the topic and might be interested , here are some screen captures from a video where Dick was showing the case he worked from.

(first screen capture is from the supplemental performance video which goes with his book "The Road Scholar".)

The case up close:

Halmac
View Profile
Regular user
Alabama USA
169 Posts

Profile of Halmac
Thank you for your effort in finding these photos! Very much appreciated.
Hal,
Close Up Awesome-ness
HalSaxonMagic.com
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5446 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Likewise, David, thank you for finding and posting those. They are great!
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Recently I got a few calls to pretty much grab my gear,go to the airport and do a 45-60 min show in another city the next day.I have a slightly larger than average ATA case that is a music pedalswitch holder case but is perfect for travel, is light & thin, sturdy, looks great and can fit more than an hour Professional show with ample room.

For years Ive had various effects in different cases, annoying at times,especially at airports etc and to have everythng ready to go at a moments notice in 1 case, I just take out the labeled bag with props whats not required for that event if at all... and walk out the door, for travel or local shows has made things so much easier and way less stressful in organising etc..