The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Where to put it all... :: Travel case for an act (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Here's a way to carry an entire stand-up act in a safe and secure manner.
The top case can hold each trick in a separate compartment with room to spare in the middle for wands and accessories.

For the larger items you can add to it, as needed, and wheel it all into your venue.

www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
FelixKraus
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of FelixKraus
Wow this look so organized, how much are these cases? Are they water proof?
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

They are not waterproof that I know of but they do seem to have "that o-ring thingy" happening Smile

the top case is 29 (a steal)
the middle case is 39
the bottom case is ?? 59? I just don't recall.

they all snap together.
if you had a black drape to cover the bottom 2 and wrapped something around the lid of the top case when performing, you could also perform right out of that case without it looking like you were performing at a construction site.

all cases can lock shut and there's a rod that comes with (and stores in the lid of) the rolling case that slides thru all 3 cases and can lock them together.
supertoad12
View Profile
New user
Choose a number between 1 and
88 Posts

Profile of supertoad12
This is what I also have. I also have the open crate for the top.
Steph

"The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it"...J.M. Barrie
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

I didn't get the open crate but considered it.

I bought some black knit (stretchy) fabric to stretch over the lid of the top case. just need to cut it and attach Velcro so it's easy to slip over.
I'd like to do the same thing with the lower cases. Just stretch something over the top and down to cover it up, like folks do with cocktail tables, etc.

Basically a spandex cover for the whole thing.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

I took this to my first performance and it was extremely convenient and easy to load/unload/roll-in/set-up/re-pack/roll-out/load/unload.
Wheels are big enough to go over bumps, etc. with ease.

It was literally just a few seconds to wrap it in black "spandex" so it looked "invisible" on stage.
I spray painted all the orange rigid placards to be black.

This was pretty close to perfect.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
How much does the EMPTY top case weigh?
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

The empty top case weighs... I have no idea but it's not very heavy.
more than a standard briefcase but really, it's pretty light weight.

if I get in a mood, I'll weigh it with and without my crap in it.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

The empty case weighs 8 lbs or so.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Thanks!

I only do a few shows anymore, I'm retired! I've been considering "retiring" my prop case! --It has earned a "rest"!
Sentoki
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of Sentoki
This looks amazing for shows and so on, very organized and easy to handle.
dlcmagic
View Profile
Special user
887 Posts

Profile of dlcmagic
Quote:
On Dec 20, 2016, Dick Oslund wrote:
Thanks!

I only do a few shows anymore, I'm retired! I've been considering "retiring" my prop case! --It has earned a "rest"!

Dick Oslund,
I'd love to see the inside of your prop case. I've read your book and watched your video and
it would be a bonus to get a look at your case.
Mark Boody Illusionist
View Profile
Inner circle
1368 Posts

Profile of Mark Boody Illusionist
Quote:
On Feb 5, 2017, dlcmagic wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 20, 2016, Dick Oslund wrote:
Thanks!

Dick Oslund,
I'd love to see the inside of your prop case. I've read your book and watched your video and
it would be a bonus to get a look at your case.

I would second that!!

Several years ago Duane Laflin shared the inside of his performing table with me, what an EDUCATION that was!!!!

He also covered that in his video The Art of Gospel Magic, good stuff!

Mark
Only he who can see the invisible can do the impossible. Frank L. Gaines
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Ha! That's like saying, "I would like to see what color underwear you have on!" hee hee!!!!!

When I was 13, I, of course, had a little "music stand tripod" with a piece of "peg board" for a top. My grandfather helped me fasten the top to the "tripe" with a floor flange. I draped it with a black sailor's neckerchief, that my mother "decorated" with some gold fringe. I had only seen a few magicians, and, they all worked with a similar table. I learned later about black art wells! I think that Greg Bordner (Abbott's) still sells a tripod table with a black velvet drape and a "dragon" decorating the front.)

I carried my home made props in a little wooden case, that I had found. It was about the size of a "fat attache case".

I didn't "know" about magic shops, yet. The props were very simple! --Several lengths of clothesline for the "rope and tapes" penetration, a few homemade "silks" for knot tricks (WWII was on--no silk available--my mother "contributed" a few ladies silk kerchiefs.) a wooden wand, made from a drumstick, strips of newspaper for the Afghan Bands, and a pair of scissors,
two nesting cardboard tubes (a Morton Salt Box,with top & bottom removed, and a section of a cardboard mailing tube, from which I produced the "silks", ETC. (That's all I can remember!!!) Everything was learned from "Alexander the Magician's "Magic Show Book", and Joseph Leemng's "Fun With Magic"--both from the Carnegie Public Library.

I soon learned that it took time to remove the props, and place them on the table, and, replace the props, after the performance! (Also, I had to load the "silks" at the last minute, so they wouldn't get too wrinkled!) There was seldom any backstage facilities when doing shows for "Elks Lodge ladies nights", LIONS CLUBS, and similar affairs. I would "hide behind the piano" to set and pack. --YUK!

Then, I saw an old movie about vaudeville. A novelty musical act, had a waiter's tray stand, with a little case on it. He would remove various instruments, play them, and replace them in the case. EUREKA!!! (showing off my Greek! Eureka means, I have found it!)

Leeming's book had addresses for magic shops!!! I soon had Abbott's #7! I found an old "ladies suitcase" in the attic. It was a bit larger than an attache case (attache cases hadn't been "invented" yet!) My "collection" of props was growing, I made a two fold screen on which I could set the new case. I was in business!

In the Navy, I carried a "small act" in a leather shaving kit. (rope, golf balls, cards, silks, hollow egg, egg bag, etc.) With that little act, my "vest pocket agent" booked enough work that I could live on the show money, and send home to my bank, my Navy salary!

Over the years, I've tried a "night club" table, and, various suitcases. when I started touring for the assembly bureaus, I used a fiber salesman's sample case, about 18" x 32" x 10". I borrowed a Caféteria table from the school, and covered it with a nice table cloth, the case sat on it, and I was able to work out of it. (Saved precious time!)

A few years later, when I met Jay Marshall, I asked why he used the case that his act trouped in. (Ha! another "Charlie Miller"! --I ended the sentence with a preposition!) Jay said, "It's 13" x 20" x 8", the biggest size case that will fit under the seat ("carry on") in a plane!" I did a bit of "adjusting", and that's the case I've carried for the last 45 years, except for a couple seasons when I used a "catalog case" (for the "big" props) and, a hair dresser's case, found in a thrift shop. When I found a smaller coin pail, and, red lighted a few other items, I was able to red light the catalog case. I think the hair dresser case was in the DVD.

The skills you carry in your head, are a lot lighter than the tools you carry in your case! The EFFECT (what the spectator(s) perceive) is more important than the method or the PROP!

I'll TRY to get a friend with a "smart" phone to take a few pix, and publish them here. (WATCH THIS SPACE!) It may take awhile!
Mark Boody Illusionist
View Profile
Inner circle
1368 Posts

Profile of Mark Boody Illusionist
Dick

It will be worth the wait...I'm sure.

Thanks

Mark
Only he who can see the invisible can do the impossible. Frank L. Gaines
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I hope so! It's really quite simple. I'm almost embarrassed to show you!!! It's certainly nothing "fancy"

It may take a couple weeks to find someone who can shoot some pics.

I'll try to figure a way to identify the variious spaces.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
I hope so! It's really quite simple. I'm almost embarrassed to show you!!! It's certainly nothing "fancy"

silksock
View Profile
Regular user
105 Posts

Profile of silksock
Looking forward to it...
ColtonRaelund
View Profile
Regular user
COLTON ZOROASTER RAELUND
116 Posts

Profile of ColtonRaelund
I am one of the lucky people who have seen inside Dick's prop case in person! Also, I have met Dick in person, several times. He is a goldmine of information!
dlcmagic
View Profile
Special user
887 Posts

Profile of dlcmagic
Quote:
On Feb 5, 2017, Dick Oslund wrote:

That would be great Dick !