The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The Science of Magic :: Newton's Nightmare (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
htmagic
View Profile
New user
Tennessee
50 Posts

Profile of htmagic
I originally got a trick like this quite some time ago that worked using the same principle.
My version was a three foot long 1/2-inch diameter copper tube and a ball bearing.

This is a more modern version of my same trick but the holes allow the audience to see what is going on.
Pretty cool trick and the science behind it is even cooler.
https://youtu.be/99mibzCAmDE
May the FORCE be with you and have a magical day!

MagicBill

High-Tech Magic
http://www.high-techmagic.com/
Doc Willie
View Profile
Regular user
160 Posts

Profile of Doc Willie
I made one up myself from copper pipe and super magnets. It really should be called Maxwell's Revenge. But then I am a nerd.
htmagic
View Profile
New user
Tennessee
50 Posts

Profile of htmagic
Yeah, when I do the trick, I want to expose it as it blows people's minds.
The science is more cool than the magic in this sense!
May the FORCE be with you and have a magical day!

MagicBill

High-Tech Magic
http://www.high-techmagic.com/
MrWizard
View Profile
Inner circle
Conjured The Illusion Of
1039 Posts

Profile of MrWizard
I love this trick the science behind it is fascinating. If you tilt the tube a little it slows it down even more except when the spec tries it. I have another apparatus that really shows off this principal it is called Feel Flux. Uses a large round neodymium magnet and the tube is solid copper very thick it slows the ball down to a crawl super amazing to watch. I recommend getting one if you like this effect. They sell it in aluminum and copper. The copper is a must have it makes it float down the slowest. Rapped in leather it has a great look and feel. But for use as a magic effect Newtons Nightmare is great effect for the price.
It's An Illusion Unless I Can't Fix It Then It's A Reality.
andrew124C41
View Profile
New user
Somewhere near Washington, DC
77 Posts

Profile of andrew124C41
Quote:
On Apr 17, 2017, Doc Willie wrote:
I made one up myself from copper pipe and super magnets. It really should be called Maxwell's Revenge. But then I am a nerd.

I made one of these years, and years ago when neo magnets first came out. I developed a routine with a spherical neo and ball bearing. In fact I wanted to sell it and discussed it with James George but for reasons I don't recall, it never worked out.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27302 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On Apr 17, 2017, htmagic wrote:
Yeah, when I do the trick, I want to expose it as it blows people's minds.

Rather than use magic type methods to have the bearing fall up the tube afterwards? Maybe switch the tube for one that does not have that magnetic property?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Ben_Fox
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of Ben_Fox
Copper doesn't technically have any magnetic properties -- it's a really good conductor of electricity, though. The magnet (and Lenz' law) is what's doing all the work. Indeed, you could even take a horseshoe magnet or the like and show it doesn't stick to the tube to demonstrate the tube doesn't have any funky magnetic properties.
Senor Fabuloso
View Profile
Inner circle
1243 Posts

Profile of Senor Fabuloso
I use two of these with a participant where at first they can't get it to slow down but after a bit of by play they can do it too. It's really a hoot.
No matter how many times you say the wrong thing, it will NEVER be right.

If I'm not responding to you? It's because you're a TROLL!
mandrax
View Profile
New user
Montreal, Canada
49 Posts

Profile of mandrax
My kids love this one. great way to give them positive feelings about science.
wunceaponatime
View Profile
Loyal user
280 Posts

Profile of wunceaponatime
Any tube that is paramagnetic should work. If it can conduct an electrical current then the effect will work via Lenz's Law as mentioned above. Aluminum, copper, steel all will work.
goodingda
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of goodingda
I recently bought the Wellington version on ebay for $65, a great deal since list price is $150 and it is like-new. I've been in magic over 50 years and never knew about this principle.
With magic, you never stop discovering things!
dalo
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of dalo
I have seen these at much lover price than you mentioning here.
Is there some reason for this?

It is a cool effect though.
Anverdi-museum
View Profile
Inner circle
1199 Posts

Profile of Anverdi-museum
A few years back I built a coin version of this based on the Lens Principle, you will find it on this brief video below:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=olIf5iS3kyI

Chuck
tbaer
View Profile
Inner circle
Pennsylvania
2004 Posts

Profile of tbaer
Is the moon rock and the metal strip the only the difference between the Wellington that costs $150.00 and the one I have that cost $15.00 or is there something I'm missing?
rowdymagi5
View Profile
Inner circle
Virginia
3630 Posts

Profile of rowdymagi5
Quote:
On Nov 10, 2019, Anverdi-museum wrote:
A few years back I built a coin version of this based on the Lens Principle, you will find it on this brief video below:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=olIf5iS3kyI

Chuck

That is super cool! I like this version!