The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The side walk shuffle :: Well, finally heard from the carousel village (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
For those of you who don't know, the carousel village at Roger Williams Park was my second place to play. A few years back, they were sold to the Roger Williams Park Zoo. I spoke with the manager there and he said he'd get back to me. When he didn't, I left a formal letter with a copy of my license printed on the back. I called him a couple of times and couldn't get through. Finally, I got an e-mail from his associate stating that a magician wasn't in their itinerary at this time. Then I got ANOTHER e-mail from the head man himself asking what my number was to call me. (This is odd because the only way he could get my e-mail address was from the letter which had both my land line and my cell phone on it! Any way, I gave him the information and pointed out that he couldn't call me at work (not only am I not allowed to take calls at work, my phone gets no service inside Wal-Mart! And suggested that he call my cell on Friday as I'll be out of the house most of the day. We'll see what happens with that.

My thought is that they don't want a loose cannon, i.e. someone who's there, but not under their control.

This leads me to believe the owner will either confirm that he doesn't need me OR actually offer me a job, which would be awkward as I can't take a strict schedule in the face of my Wal-Mart schedule.

I'll keep you informed.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
Wow. I'm wishing you the best on this
gallagher
View Profile
Inner circle
1169 Posts

Profile of gallagher
Ed,
"The early bird gets the worm,..."
You should have bought the park,
yourself(!),
a few years back.

tsk, tsk, tsk.....

But,
"...the second mouse gets the cheese!"
Man, there's to be more then TWO Pitches,
in P-towne(!).
Create a 'hot-spot'.

Really.
I think it can be done.
Search for a 'somewhat' quiet spot,..
it DOESN'T have to be over-run with
"bored folks with nothing better to do then watch a Street Show."
The spot must only be,..
visual and accessible,..
to "bored folks with nothing better to do then watch a Street Show."

In reality,
Street Shows ARE still the best 'deal in towne'!
,...people know it.
Give 100%,.. all the time.
For two,..
for three,,.
for nobody.
They will come.
,....if for no other reason,
then to watch "the crazy old guy."(!)
{Now, THAT should inspire you,...!}

In five years,..
they'll be setting up a Carousel. 🙃

hey I wish you fortune,..
and don't lose your Gift of Laughter.
(that's what convinces them,...you're crazy.)
gallagher
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I'm not as ingenious as most of the people here and Providence is not Boston or New York or Chicago or Los Angeles. I think the major thing you need to busk is foot traffic and frankly, Providence just doesn't have a lot of foot traffic areas. Even RWP is mostly drive through. There are places where a musician might set up and get the passer bys. But not, in my opinion, a good area that would generate the groups I need and still not be private property. I could be wrong, I am the penultimate n00b at this.

I am certain there is some inventive, ingenious busker out there who can carve a niche out of some spot in Providence I wouldn't have seen. But it isn't me.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
Quote:
On Aug 31, 2016, ed rhodes wrote:

. . . penultimate . . .

Always makes me smile.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Aug 31, 2016, 0pus wrote:
Quote:

. . . penultimate . . .

Always makes me smile.

Did I misuse it?
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
I think it's just that it's a very bid word for second to last
MVoss
View Profile
Veteran user
Boston, MA
372 Posts

Profile of MVoss
What about the little park across the street from the Biltmore? Especially id there is a convention in town, you could catch people moving back and forth between the hotel, the river, and convention center.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I think you mean the one by Kennedy Plaza. Which is, frankly, mostly homeless and druggies. If you were in NYC, you'd have as much chance if you played "Needle Park."
gallagher
View Profile
Inner circle
1169 Posts

Profile of gallagher
Penultiiii,..
Penultuu,...
hey Ed,
you shouldn't use big words,
when diminutives suffice.
,.... 😋.

'Penultimate noob',.....
naaaa..
Ed, you've got to get up pretty early in in the morning,
to fool,....
someone living in a European-Time-Zone(!).

Ed Rhodes,...
actually one of the 'founding members' of the Café.
Initial member, number 14(!).
Ed's been here longer then any of us.
Ed has read every Post,
in the Sidewalk Shuffle,...
as they were freshly written(!!).

'Penultimate noob',...ha!
da lachen die Hühner!
I think you know what you're doing,...
and do what you know.

I'm sure you'll get your Pitch together,
here or there,..
and you'll have your Shows.
"Passion prevails."

Have a good one Ed.
Let us know,...
the outcome.
gallagher
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I am a n00b in constant standing, no matter how long I've been here.

(I'm really #14 in the founding of the website? I didn't know that.)
MVoss
View Profile
Veteran user
Boston, MA
372 Posts

Profile of MVoss
Quote:
I think you mean the one by Kennedy Plaza. Which is, frankly, mostly homeless and druggies. If you were in NYC, you'd have as much chance if you played "Needle Park."

Too bad, that is a pretty park.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Sep 1, 2016, MVoss wrote:
Quote:

Very nice. I actually tried once. Nothing. They DO hold functions in the park, but they control the area pretty thoroughly on those occasions and I'm not really comfortable crashing other people's outings anyway.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Sep 2, 2016, ed rhodes wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 1, 2016, MVoss wrote:
Quote:

Very nice. I actually tried once. Nothing. They DO hold functions in the park, but they control the area pretty thoroughly on those occasions and I'm not really comfortable crashing other people's outings anyway.

I'm going to add to this. A year or so, they put a children's playground in the park at Kennedy Plaza. I'm still kind of wary about performing near the Plaza, but as I appear to have lost the Hasbro Playground in the Carousel Village, that JUST might be an alternative. It's January right now, and the temperature in the in the TEENS, but I'm trying to work up the courage to try there.