The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: MAGIC - The Magazine For Magicians :: What's Going On? (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Arcato
View Profile
New user
Germany
58 Posts

Profile of Arcato
Too bad, I'm really sorry to hear this... I was also so much looking forward to this project... I was under the impression that the response to Legacy at Magic Live was overwhelming ... apparently not so... Smile Smile
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6142 Posts

Profile of motown
Quote:
On Sep 24, 2016, manananmaclir wrote:
Major bummer that he was not able to pull it off, but delivering the news in person via a video lessened the blow a bit. I wonder what it would have taken to make it a go.

More interest from the magic community.

The money will now be going toward an upcoming trip
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Well, at least we are getting a refund since it didn't get off the ground. Plus the free "Square One". I wondered too how they were going to pull it off after someone posted that their sub base was only 5000 (plus whatever sold as single purchases in magic shops) but I figured Magicians would clamor to offer up some great magic effect if only to be a "part of the Legacy" so it could possibly only be a matter of sorting, editing and printing. However, this takes both time and money and I guess there wasn't enough to project that they could fill it. I give them high props for being honest and offering a refund.

On the other hand, I see a great idea being put out there by a few. Why not offer a Digital Copy of every magazine they ever published as a DRM protected download? Kind of the way L&Lepub put all of "their books" into PDF format and offer them for pennies on the dollar now. I would certainly be interested in entertaining the idea of getting the "whole bundle" on a DVD in PDF format for a one time price (or a piecemeal system) although, I would have to have it where I had "my own copies" (not a web based service that could go away with all my issues) plus the fact that if I have "my copies" I can read them offline at my convenience.

Certainly an idea they should at least look into. Smile
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
sjrw
View Profile
Special user
571 Posts

Profile of sjrw
I tried to sign up a week or 2 ago... But the website gave me a server error during the payment.

Of course I emailed Stan, and the webmaster address on the Legacy site to ask them to confirm whether or not I was subscribed.
Now I can see in my bank that the payment amount has gone to them, but I've not received any confirmation emails or any reply's to my emails.

I hope they've got me registered in their database for a refund!
Anyone have any contact details for magicmagazine I could try?
MJE
View Profile
Elite user
After all these years,I STILL have only
410 Posts

Profile of MJE
Quote:
On Sep 25, 2016, sjrw wrote:
Anyone have any contact details for magicmagazine I could try?

I used subscribe@magicmagazine.com and received a reply.
sjrw
View Profile
Special user
571 Posts

Profile of sjrw
Thanks for the tip!
I've received a reply now... All sorted.
MagieFraudster
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of MagieFraudster
Still waiting for refund, but got my Square One...
trickyat86
View Profile
Special user
Pittsburgh, PA
610 Posts

Profile of trickyat86
Quote:
On Sep 27, 2016, MagieFraudster wrote:

From the FAQ section of Magic Magazine's website.

"When will I receive my refund?

We’re starting with the Legacy refunds, which should be completed on our end by October 10th. A few extra days may be required for mail service or credit card processing time. As soon as your refund is processed, we will send you an email to let you know the details.

MAGIC Magazine refunds will be processed in November."
Doug Trouten
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
471 Posts

Profile of Doug Trouten
The MAGIC Magazine crew obviously didn't plan to be issuing a pile of refunds this fall, and is busy coping with the end of a dream and the task of wrapping things up and saying goodbye in one issue. I, for one, am willing to patiently wait for my refund. They've earned my trust and gratitude.
It's still magic even if you know how it's done.
Terry Pratchett
stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1443 Posts

Profile of stempleton
Well, I was a subscriber for a few years to MAGIC, but I don't see this turnaround on the 'LEGACY' issues quite as forgivingly as most. Look, they made a plan, even with multi-stage pricing for subscribers. If they had said in the beginning, "Look, we need this many sign ups in order to ensure this rollout," I would be more understanding. Hey, do it in a "Gofundme.com" way if need be, but don't promise something that you're not sure you can deliver. I get enough of that, and it seems more and more commonplace in the magic community. I had seen the offer a month ago, finally remembered the "early bird pricing," and had even planned on adding a second subscription as a gift for a mentor of mine; then found an error message. Emailing the magazine gave me the response that they were not going through with it. Yes, I know things happen, but this backpedaling could have been avoided.

My mantra for many years-- "let your 'yes' be 'yes,' let your 'no' be 'no.' Seems not many have the same.
MJE
View Profile
Elite user
410 Posts

Profile of MJE
Quote:
On Sep 27, 2016, MagieFraudster wrote:

Mine hit my bank account this morning. That was actually faster than I had anticipated. Naturally, I immediately spent some of it by ordering Issue 301. Guess I'll wander over to the "For Sale" section here to see how I can dispose of the rest.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21271 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Sep 29, 2016, stempleton wrote:
Well, I was a subscriber for a few years to MAGIC, but I don't see this turnaround on the 'LEGACY' issues quite as forgivingly as most. Look, they made a plan, even with multi-stage pricing for subscribers. If they had said in the beginning, "Look, we need this many sign ups in order to ensure this rollout," I would be more understanding. Hey, do it in a "Gofundme.com" way if need be, but don't promise something that you're not sure you can deliver. I get enough of that, and it seems more and more commonplace in the magic community. I had seen the offer a month ago, finally remembered the "early bird pricing," and had even planned on adding a second subscription as a gift for a mentor of mine; then found an error message. Emailing the magazine gave me the response that they were not going through with it. Yes, I know things happen, but this backpedaling could have been avoided.

My mantra for many years-- "let your 'yes' be 'yes,' let your 'no' be 'no.' Seems not many have the same.

I have not read much less subscribed to a magic periodical in a decade. I used to read Magic all the time so when this came out I actually subscribed. I actually agree with your point on why announce it and make it such a big deal if you don't know if it can be done? That is very disappointing.

If you are not certain it will roll out then they need to say that before anyone subscribes. BEFORE you take money, regardless if you are refunding it or not. I just wish it was handled differently.

This type of thing is far to common now I agree.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
MJE
View Profile
Elite user
410 Posts

Profile of MJE
Quote:
On Sep 29, 2016, stempleton wrote:
I don't see this turnaround on the 'LEGACY' issues quite as forgivingly as most.

Yeah, I guess it wasn't really thought out, but I don't see it as a really big deal. I'm not sure why a large number of new subscribers would be expected, and certainly that requirement wasn't mentioned when the pitch was made. I don't recall any call for new subscribers, either (although perhaps it was pushed here or in the other magazines and I missed it). I'm surprised that no one thought of the crowd funding idea that you bring up, as that would stand a far better chance of succeeding than would hoping that people who don't buy the magazine at the regular price will now jump all over it at a substantially higher price.

Still, it sounded like a really nice vision. I am sorry for those involved that they will be unable to make it happen, so the process of ordering and then getting a very prompt refund isn't bothering me. We're a relatively small community. Stuff happens. There are far bigger things to be angry about.
stempleton
View Profile
Inner circle
1443 Posts

Profile of stempleton
Quote:
On Oct 1, 2016, MJE wrote:
There are far bigger things to be angry about.

Not angry. Just summing up the prevalent standard we seem to accept in this day and age.
MJE
View Profile
Elite user
410 Posts

Profile of MJE
Quote:
On Oct 1, 2016, stempleton wrote:
Not angry. Just summing up the prevalent standard we seem to accept in this day and age. [/quote]

You're right. That thing about not being as forgiving as others led me to that, I guess. It's very true that things like this are becoming the norm. It's like so many other situations where something inconvenient happens and it seems irritatingly unusual. Then it happens again. And again. Soon, we get used to it. It goes on in magic, too.

If you've been in magic for a while, you've seen the move from buying actual items to buying DIY projects that are sold, not as a book, but are sold as an actual prop or trick. It was irritating at first, but now it's almost expected .... to the point that a few items have come out recently that don't even bother to mention it in the ad copy!