The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: MAGIC - The Magazine For Magicians :: What's Going On? (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Dal
View Profile
Regular user
Dallas, TX
124 Posts

Profile of Dal
How many of you are wondering what is going on with MAGIC? First, everyone registered for MAGIC-Live got an email telling us to bring a CHECK for $35 and now the latest issue of MAGIC Magazine ha an ad with a picture of a candle asking “How Will It All End?”. The link in the ad led to this photo. Let’s talk about this…what does it all mean?
Dal Sanders International Comedy Magician and Illusionist Based In Dallas, TX

The Society of American Magicians Past National President
M.I.M.C.*
trickyat86
View Profile
Special user
Pittsburgh, PA
610 Posts

Profile of trickyat86
Looks like the $35 deposit was to reserve the final 25 issues on Magic Magazine. More details at http://www.magicmagazine.com/w/legacy/
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6142 Posts

Profile of motown
I wonder what this means for people who just recently renewed their subscription ?
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
Dal
View Profile
Regular user
Dallas, TX
124 Posts

Profile of Dal
I believe that you will receive a $5 credit toward your new subscription to MAGIC Legacy. Contact MAGIC Magazine to be sure.
Dal Sanders International Comedy Magician and Illusionist Based In Dallas, TX

The Society of American Magicians Past National President
M.I.M.C.*
Doug Trouten
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
471 Posts

Profile of Doug Trouten
I believe it's $5 credit per remaining issue.
It's still magic even if you know how it's done.
Terry Pratchett
billmarq
View Profile
Special user
State near Arizona
570 Posts

Profile of billmarq
From the Legacy site:

All the issues you are owed of MAGIC will be fulfilled with Legacy issues. If you wish to subscribe to the complete set of Legacy, we will apply the balance of your MAGIC payment to a Legacy subscription (at the current price offered), crediting you $5 for each issue of MAGIC you are owed. (International prices will be adjusted to allow for higher postage costs.)
Honi soit quit mal y pense.
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3434 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Sorry to see "MAGIC" end. I've been onboard as a subscriber since 1985, when Stan was publishing a tiny newsletter, and I'm on the list for the final HOORAH!

FWIW
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
magicbern
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong, China
1220 Posts

Profile of magicbern
This is very sad as MAGIC has brought so much pleasure to us magicians for a quarter of a century! However I have confidence that Stan Allen has made the decision that feels right for him at this time. I guess the old saying 'all good things must come to an end' is very true.

May I ask for those of us who have subscribed to the digital version since its inception, will we still be able to access all our paid-for issues online? Is there some way we will be able to store it offline or will we continue to be able to access it from the app?

I wish Stan and the MAGIC team the very best as they move into the future with a new direction - and thanks for everything you've done for magic through MAGIC!
GS121002
View Profile
Veteran user
but he still can't help build a border wall with only
313 Posts

Profile of GS121002
I was one of the original subscribers since Stan started the magazine. I even bound the first six years for my reference library. Oh my! What to do, what to do? Shed a tear for the loss of an old friend......
Gary Salisbury
San Diego, CA

It's a fact! - Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
(This line censored by Dave Scribner because it is in Latin) - What you believe is real, is real!
Who was that masked man and what is he all about? - https://www.pinterest.com/garydsalisbury/
Gregory57
View Profile
Loyal user
246 Posts

Profile of Gregory57
Quote:
On Aug 17, 2016, magicbern wrote:
This is very sad as MAGIC has brought so much pleasure to us magicians for a quarter of a century! However I have confidence that Stan Allen has made the decision that feels right for him at this time. I guess the old saying 'all good things must come to an end' is very true.

May I ask for those of us who have subscribed to the digital version since its inception, will we still be able to access all our paid-for issues online? Is there some way we will be able to store it offline or will we continue to be able to access it from the app?

I wish Stan and the MAGIC team the very best as they move into the future with a new direction

I too began my subscription with those early newsletters and still have them' I hope someone can answer the above question re ongoing access to the digital issues or possible downloading of these issues.

- and thanks for everything you've done for magic through MAGIC!
Cliff Gregory Wollin
Driften
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of Driften
Its sad Magic magazine is ending, but its hard to be in the magazine industry these days. I had subscribed maybe 25 years ago and am slowly getting back into wanting to learn magic and was just wondering if I should get Magic or Genii. I think this decides it. I am sorry to see it go but maybe they will reform later into an online only resource.
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
Now that Steve Brooks put out the PM announcement, I guess it is pretty clear what is going on. I went ahead and grabbed the Early bird subscription right away $140 for all 25 and got an instant notification that my copy of Square One will be sent (so I made the first 10,000 which may not be hard as I think it said they only have 20,000 subscribers currently if I read it correctly).

I have enjoyed a copy now and again thru the years but never subscribed (except for a short time online). It looks as if there will be some extra perks to the final 25 (like free trick card decks and other exclusives I read) The best part is that you can pay $35 now and there will be 3 more $35 payments over three separate months next year to lock in the Early Bird which is great for someone like me on a tighter budget.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
cameroncando
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of cameroncando
This is exciting! I subscribed. I am looking forward to seeing what makes the cut now that there are only 25 left. This is a game changer.
Doug Trouten
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
471 Posts

Profile of Doug Trouten
I subscribed during the "soft opening" and was pleased to see that with credit for the many remaining issues on my subscription, it really didn't cost me that much to renew through the end of Legacy. Plus they're sending loot! I love loot!
Terry Pratchett
B.W. McCarron
View Profile
Loyal user
Seattle, WA USA
263 Posts

Profile of B.W. McCarron
I just subscribed to the Magic Legacy 25-issue run. This should be fun!

- Brett
teevtee
View Profile
Special user
963 Posts

Profile of teevtee
This is a very interesting way to end the run and though I was never a subscriber in the past I am now. I hope that the final 25 are as great as they sound liek they may be.
The Mysterious One
View Profile
Veteran user
384 Posts

Profile of The Mysterious One
I dare say that I am excited to. I have been a subscriber for 14+ years. I am also wondering about what will happen to the digital magazines once Magic Magazine shuts its doors. I sent an email out to Magic Magazine and Stan. If I get any word from Stan or someone else in the know at Magic Magazine, I will let ya'll know.
jackaboy
View Profile
Veteran user
universities aren't interested in my
302 Posts

Profile of jackaboy
I too got the earlybird hype for my copy of square one
Doug Trouten
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
471 Posts

Profile of Doug Trouten
Here's a link to a video on the iTricks site where Stan talks about what's going on:
http://itricks.com/news/2016/08/stan-all......agazine/
Terry Pratchett
The Mysterious One
View Profile
Veteran user
384 Posts

Profile of The Mysterious One
Everyone,

I heard back from Tess from Magic Magazine Digital Support today. Concerning the digital issues, I asked via email: "With Magic Magazine going away, will I be able to access those digital magazines that I own? Also, are there any plans to convert the digital magazines to downloadable PDFs for subscribers so one can access these magazines years from now? As you can tell, I really don’t want to lose my purchased digital magazines.... "

Here is an excerpt of her very kind response via email:

"Thank you for your kind words and for joining us for the Legacy issues! As of right now we do not have any plans to turn the digital issues into a PDF. However, not to worry! They will continue to be available online. If there comes a point in time when we will be turning off the digital issues you will receive plenty of notice."

Just wanted to let you know an update from someone directly involved with Magic Magazine.

Good magic to all....

Sean