The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Mentally Speaking :: Devil May Care by Iain Dunford (22 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Last Laugh
View Profile
Inner circle
Grass Valley, California
3498 Posts

Profile of Last Laugh
Http://www.lulu.com/shop/iain-dunford/de......561.html

Iain Dunford's new book is a collection of essays on performing styles and readings, along with a couple of utility idea.

Silent Thoughts
Is a clever idea for a utility prop that I think could be very entertaining.

Personally Speaking
Iain talks about approaches to performing mentalism and really pushes the boundaries away from the cliches that we tend to stick to (the psychic vs the psychological, etc). He offers an exercise for exploring context and character that goes beyond the usual stuff and he offers an unusual but entertaining character style as an example.

Anatomy of a Billet
Work on a tear. Not a new technique but an idea for staging a known one

Palm Tree Readings
This is another one of Iain's great divination systems.

Readings, et al

To me, the meat and potatoes of this book are these sections on readings. Iain sorta warned us that he might offend some of us in this book. As a former shut eye and someone who is generally open minded to the possibility of psychic phenomenon, I was slightly concerned that it might be along the lines of a pseudo-skeptic psychological 'reduction' of readings. Exactly the opposite. Iain fully embraces the beauty and depth that can happen in readings and I found nothing at all to be offensive. Moreover, he offers an ethical framework to readings that I found extremely refreshing and thoughtful. He clearly genuinely loves readings, and he also clearly genuinely cares for the people he reads for. He offers some wonderful guidelines to keep your sitters emotionally safe and happy and to maximize the positive benefits of a reading while avoiding harm or trauma. He also covers Barnum/Forer statements and explains why he dislikes them and why we should all eliminate them from our readings.

Envelope Stuff
There are 2 cool envelope techniques, a sw***h and a p**k. The sw***h is deceptive and simple and requires only an ungimmicked stack of envelopes. The peek is simple and appears to by highly practical while requiring a minimum of construction.

Business Card Stack Stuff

Cool idea that eliminates a common problem with a known gaffed stack of business cards.

My Thoughts

Anyone who does or is considering doing readings should read this book, regardless of your background or belief system.
If you're interested in thinking about why you present mentalism the way you do or interested in pushing the boundaries of your performance style, you should also read this.
If you're just looking for some cool utility moves, still a pretty good value even though it's not the focus of the book.
My Mentalism Podcast:
The Mystery Arts Podcast

Check out my products!

Direct from me (PW: cassidy)

On Penguin Magic
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Thank you very much for the review!

Greg Arce said -
"Iain lives in a world I seldom visit: Readings… the world of Readings. Unfortunately, in the Mentalism Train I get off before it arrives at the Readings Station. But don’t let that stop you. Stay on board. Ian will show you to a very comfortable stateroom where he will sit you down and teach you many things about doing Readings as you take this ride with him. He will take your hand, not merely to look at the lines in your palm, but to help you along the way as you work through your style when you attempt to do a Reading. And maybe when the ride gets a little bumpy he’ll show you how to calm your nerves and just enjoy the journey."

David Thiel said -
"1) I needed to read that second draft TWICE before I even began to "get" how genuinely clever the thinking in it really is. There is real brilliance in this book -- but it's hidden under several layers of self-deprecating and lightweight feeling copy. You have to hunt it. It's the kind of thing that will make you go "huh?" and go back to read it over again. You will then find your self going "ohhhhh."

2) It's a playful book. Don't be looking for whispering ghosts and creaking timbers. The first effect, "Silent Thoughts" is still my favorite. It is trademark clever -- but it's also fun. This is the one I plan to play around with in my parlor and close-up work.

3) Don't cruise over the essays because they don't have effects in them. There's great thinking here. In my mind's eye I see Iain settling back in an overstuffed chair, steepling his fingers and saying "Interesting idea, that. Let's discuss it..."

In fact that's very much what the book is like, settling into a conversation over a frothy beverage with a guy who simply doesn't think like other mentalists do. He has is own way of looking at his world and, seeing it through his eyes, as "Iain Vision" sloooowly swam into focus, I found myself eyeing mentalism through a delightful new perspective: challenging, unique and quite wonderful. His work simply doesn't feel like anyone else. If you like his postings, musings and ramblings here on the Café, you're going to be delighted with this book. I certainly am. "

Dr. Bill said -
"DEVIL MAY CARE is a mash up of Iain’s take on readings along with some new and improved tools of our trade. Learn how he treads the territory of readings safely and in a way that is respectful of both the art and the person being read. He serves up much needed cautions (I might even take this further, perhaps why I’m here), emphasizing the use of restraint, good sense and a collaborative approach. He reminds readers to set aside their egos, always good advice. He also shares some exceedingly clever utility devices, with unlimited applications dictated only by the performer’s imagination.

Please, please listen to Iain’s thoughts on what does and does not fall into the purview of the ethical mentalist and/or reader. I’m biased, particularly when he eloquently captures the differences between what a trained and supervised therapist can do that a mentalist shouldn’t.

Don’t for a moment be turned off if you aren’t into readings as the info in DMC is relevant to a wide range of our practices in mentalism. I see this as essential reading, crucial and spot on at this time when, with renewed vigor, mentalists are debating precisely what constitutes mentalism as well as struggling to find ethically solid ground on which to base their performances.

And if that doesn’t convince you, there is so much more in DMC. If you want methods, Iain teaches many clever tools and equally clever applications of these tools, focusing on the common envelope. “Silent Thoughts” is a sublime methodology that Iain shares for gaining information that will pay huge dividends to those who adopt it. Method and effect blend together seamlessly."

Sealed Thoughts - I think this works so well as part of a reading, its basic in its working - but imagine being able to allow someone to make three silent choices, all sealed up in envelopes (not done or handled by you to insert them) - and as you start to give your reading, you can slowly reveal their choices too, weaving it into the reading itself. And with something I've called the peek-a-boo envelope, its a mix of two classic p**k envelopes in a weird kind of way, but with the advantage of both sides being seen quite fairly and openly. Yet you can have access to the envelope's contents fully, completely under your control, and even AFTER you've got access, the envelope can still be seen as normal afterwards too...and the envelope can be any colour you want, even black.

i am very proud of the readings part, and glad to have gotten a lot of stuff off my chest about how I personally see how and why they work. As for the character/persona part - I think that its very important that we at least attempt to be a bit different. We are supposed to be different from the norm. So why not make it personal and unique? Why bother with the same old ways of 'being' when there's so much to explore.
I've asked to be banned
Race Blakhart
View Profile
Special user
Selma,CA
623 Posts

Profile of Race Blakhart
I can't wait until I have some extra money to spend. I am getting this before anything else! I have been looking forward to it for a while now. Thanks for posting the review, Matt. It really does sound great!
BlackZ
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Profile of BlackZ
Just ordered!
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12999 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On Jul 31, 2016, Race Blakhart wrote:
I can't wait until I have some extra money to spend. I am getting this before anything else! I have been looking forward to it for a while now. Thanks for posting the review, Matt. It really does sound great!

I agree. His books are always interesting and worth your time and money.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
AUGSHIP16 gives you 15% off and free shipping up to and including the 14th of this month...

Thanks to everyone thus far...
I've asked to be banned
eSamuels
View Profile
Inner circle
3085 Posts

Profile of eSamuels
Iain has always been a distinct voice in the crowd; one worth paying attention to, even if you may not always agree with his point of view.
Devil May Care is no different.

There are actually two reasons to pick this up.
The first is the wealth of workable material - well designed routines that contains clever thinking and insightful angles on presentation.
His work on readings is smart and, as usual, practical.

The second reason would be Iain's writing style and thinking/ideas, which often challenge the status quo.
In a private note, I told Iain that, while I don't always agree with his viewpoint, I invariably find myself becoming a more self-aware performer by simply being forced to, internally, re-examine and defend some of my own thinking.

Devil May Care is a fun read and valuable contribution.

Eric
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Hey thanks Eric...appreciate all that you've said!

i got sent a new code - AUG2016 gets you 25% off - Ends August 24th at 23:59
I've asked to be banned
BlackZ
View Profile
Veteran user
316 Posts

Profile of BlackZ
Wow... your messages arrive always ahead of the Lulu's ones!

Thanks!
seamagu
View Profile
Special user
885 Posts

Profile of seamagu
I really enjoyed devil may care. There is some serious food for thought.the effects are great but what really got me were the essays. Iain's thinking around readings should be mandatory study for all mentalists.

The only problem I had with the book was that there was so much to take in, I'm going to have to read it at least once more to really digest everything.

Top notch Iain

Best
Séa
I love post its Smile
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5935 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Devil May Care should be labeled CONTROVERSIAL! Perhaps then the community will afford it the attention it deserves. IAIN takes on some very real, very gritty pitfalls in doing readings lightly, thoughtlessly, uninspectedly. How many approach them. "Lets just throw some cold reading into my magic act to get bigger reactions." IAIN's points and concerns are spot on. They will get under the skin of some (perhaps many) and cause quite a discussion regardless where your intentions lay. Everyone who considers using any amount or form of "reading" in their act should read and truly contemplate what is put forth in Devil May Care.

That part there is easily worth $20-$25.

But IAIN didn't stop there. Following the journey and discussion about reading we find a handful of rather brilliant, well thought through devices for Mentalists to ply their trade with devious ability. Two very strong utility techniques with envelopes, a technique with a stack of business cards, and a few adaptations and add one for those handlings. These items will please most Mentalists and again the value here is easily $20-$25. Heck, the envelope work on its own is worth that!

So we have a book that easily could be valued at $50 or more, and it's just $21, give or take exchange rates. This is a real steal. It's like getting a great mentalism book which has an amazing and important section on giving readings added in totally for free.

Given the value of the information provided, it's an easy decision to get this ASAP... Before he wises up and raises the price to where it should be.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Cheers tom - really appreciate it...

speaking of money...

MORE4YOU gets you 25% off - Ends September 5th at 23:59
I've asked to be banned
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Happy news - its going to be reviewed in the next issue of VANISH magazine I believe...

while I'm here, Use Code: THEBIG30 - Ends September 19th at 23:59
I've asked to be banned
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
4201 Posts

Profile of JanForster
So finally I got "Devil May Care" and I could read it. What a wonderful read and booklet! I am not a reader, but I like to incorporate bits and pieces in my shows (in order to keep my pace). And even considering that Ian offers a lot of good advices, strategies and tools to inspire your own creativity (even if you want to invent your own "story"...) . In the chapter "Applying It" Ian offers a wonderful example within a routine using a well know imp...vice.
Ian is a very experienced reader, therefore we should listen to him carefully. I did, and what I liked a lot is that he doesn't tell us only how we could behave and talk, but also expressing very clearly what we shouldn't do. My deep respect for this sincere honesty.

Apart that I enjoyed a lot various "tools" he has to offer. If you think you know all about the use of envelops you might be quite surprised what you find in Ian's book. You will read even very practical adaptions for these tools in the book!
It doesn't matter if you perform already in mentalism or are "only" interested in it this book is a must read for all of us, not matter of how experienced we are or believe to be! Jan

P.S.: I adore Ian for being such a modest person...
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
That's a very generous review, thank you very much for your time and your words...really appreciate it Jan 😁
I've asked to be banned
Anthony Black
View Profile
Special user
Tamworth - Albion
855 Posts

Profile of Anthony Black
Thanks for the code Iain, ordered.
Robb
View Profile
Inner circle
1291 Posts

Profile of Robb
Jan recommends it, I'm ordering it. In fact I just did. ;-)
Robb
View Profile
Inner circle
1291 Posts

Profile of Robb
Spent the afternoon reading "Devil May Care". It is EXCELLENT! Great job, Iain. Your thoughts on readings are excellent and very beneficial to me as I am slowly wading into the readings pool... And the envelope ideas, outstanding. I'd give a more extensive review but really everyone else has done that above. My highest recommendation.
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Hey there....thanks very much Robb, appreciate it...glad you've gotten something from it...

the bit with the photo of the flower and how I broke down the reading - that really is the crux of how I see how best to mix readings in with mentalism...taking a straight line effect and then changing the logic of the reveal in a conversational way, for me, that is where its at...

plus, if someone else has drawn a flower (pretty likely) at the same event, you wont have to panic because the reading will be mildly similar, but also different...which could also be said about people...

the shaxonless and peekaboo envelope stuff, very proud of those too...

thanks again sir!
I've asked to be banned
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Free Mail or 50% Off Ground Shipping & 20% Off All Print Books & Calendars
Ends September 26th at 23:59
Use Code: GETITNOW20

new code - not just for my stuff, anything you find on LULU...
I've asked to be banned