The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Shuffled not Stirred :: Best in hands false shuffle? (35 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
Nikodemus
View Profile
Inner circle
1198 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
I think you go too far when you say a false shuffle deceives 'no one". Some people will be fooled. But some won't be. Even those that are fooled, may only be fooled temporarily. When they think back, they may realise that a setup could explain a particular effect - and then infer that your shuffle was a false one.

I think you could apply the same criticism to any sleight if considered in isolation. Or indeed to any other technique, such as gaffed cards. (In the latter case, the "problem" is that they can't be examined.)
Good magicians combine techniques so they appear to eliminate each other.

If you want a spectator to believe a deck is genuinely shuffled, then let a spectator shuffle it. You could use a stooge to do the shuffle; but the more usual approach is to do a deck switch.
Or if you just want to control one card, rather than the whole deck, you can palm it, the let a spectator shuffle.

I don't think either of these techniques make the false shuffle obsolete, they are just extra tools to be used in an appropriate context.
BAGWIZ
View Profile
Loyal user
San Francisco Bay Area
236 Posts

Profile of BAGWIZ
Quote:
On Jul 13, 2023, Nikodemus wrote:
I think you go too far when you say a false shuffle deceives 'no one". Some people will be fooled. But some won't be. Even those that are fooled, may only be fooled temporarily. When they think back, they may realise that a setup could explain a particular effect - and then infer that your shuffle was a false one.

I think you could apply the same criticism to any sleight if considered in isolation. Or indeed to any other technique, such as gaffed cards. (In the latter case, the "problem" is that they can't be examined.)

If you want a spectator to believe a deck is genuinely shuffled, then let a spectator shuffle it. You could use a stooge to do the shuffle; but the more usual approach is to do a deck switch.
Or if you just want to control one card, rather than the whole deck, you can palm it, the let a spectator shuffle.

I don't think either of these techniques make the false shuffle obsolete, they are just extra tools to be used in an appropriate context.

It is difficult for me, and probably every magician, to take a step back and view our magic through the eyes , ears and minds of our spectators. Nevertheless, I’m relentlessly trying and every once in a while I have the opportunity to query spectators about what they saw, in an effort to obtain their unfiltered and honest feedback. It’s not exactly “research” in a statistically valid and reliable sense, but I do appreciate the feedback and always find it informative.

My take-away from a few recent feedback sessions is the less time I have cards in my hands, the better. It appears my spectators tend to assume I’m “doing something,” even when I’m not and even if they see nothing out of the ordinary. Interestingly, the feedback wasn’t targeting me per se, but was generalized to all magicians who the spectators have seen doing card magic.

This is not a novel revelation, as I think we’ve heard the same “less is more” philosophy expressed by other magicians, including the likes of Tommy Wonder.

And so, while I get your point that false shuffles and cuts shouldn’t necessarily be obsolete, it still seems logical to me that a magician shuffling cards (even with a legitimate shuffle), is, by it’s very nature, suspicious. Granted, from a practical standpoint it’s probably not realistic to never shuffle/cut the cards. But I’m trying to find ways to minimize my “in the hands time,” and if that means palming, holding out, deck switching, etc., so be it.

Same thing goes for other sleights, which I now try to look at more critically in terms of their value-added (or not). That’s a hard one, too, because I like learning sleights and probably like you, I’ve spent untold hours pursuing mastery of many of them. But, finding ways to minimize my handling of the cards is, for me, an interesting, challenging and fun exercise.
Nikodemus
View Profile
Inner circle
1198 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
I am a relative beginner actually, compared to you. But I am old enough, and hopefully wise enough, to understand that deceptiveness is not just about "moves".

One thing I have noticed is that good magicians seem to be able to manipulate cards right under the spectator's nose whilst still seeming to do nothing. It's their relaxed demeanour that is convincing. Dani DaOrtiz is brilliant at this. Also apparently this was something David Berglas used to do - he would casually cut the deck, then hand it to a spectator and say, "I won't touch the cards".
SteveFromSpokane
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of SteveFromSpokane
Quote:
On Jul 14, 2023, BAGWIZ wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 13, 2023, Nikodemus wrote:

It is difficult for me, and probably every magician, to take a step back and view our magic through the eyes , ears and minds of our spectators. Nevertheless, I’m relentlessly trying and every once in a while I have the opportunity to query spectators about what they saw, in an effort to obtain their unfiltered and honest feedback. It’s not exactly “research” in a statistically valid and reliable sense, but I do appreciate the feedback and always find it informative.

My take-away from a few recent feedback sessions is the less time I have cards in my hands, the better. It appears my spectators tend to assume I’m “doing something,” even when I’m not and even if they see nothing out of the ordinary. Interestingly, the feedback wasn’t targeting me per se, but was generalized to all magicians who the spectators have seen doing card magic.

This is not a novel revelation, as I think we’ve heard the same “less is more” philosophy expressed by other magicians, including the likes of Tommy Wonder.

And so, while I get your point that false shuffles and cuts shouldn’t necessarily be obsolete, it still seems logical to me that a magician shuffling cards (even with a legitimate shuffle), is, by it’s very nature, suspicious. Granted, from a practical standpoint it’s probably not realistic to never shuffle/cut the cards. But I’m trying to find ways to minimize my “in the hands time,” and if that means palming, holding out, deck switching, etc., so be it.

Same thing goes for other sleights, which I now try to look at more critically in terms of their value-added (or not). That’s a hard one, too, because I like learning sleights and probably like you, I’ve spent untold hours pursuing mastery of many of them. But, finding ways to minimize my handling of the cards is, for me, an interesting, challenging and fun exercise.

I believe you hit the nail on the head.
Card acrobtics just shouts out that this guy is good at sleights and is doing something here.
I like Ben Earl's Combination Shuffle which is short and makes you look like someone who only occasionally plays cards with friends.
Less is More is true. Just my opinion.
JuanPoop
View Profile
Loyal user
Luckily for you, I only have
219 Posts

Profile of JuanPoop
Quote:
On Jul 16, 2023, SteveFromSpokane wrote:

Card acrobtics just shouts out that this guy is good at sleights and is doing something here.
I like Ben Earl's Combination Shuffle which is short and makes you look like someone who only occasionally plays cards with friends.

I need to check this out, as I have seen so many people refer to it.

Is it a download, or part of another product?
aka Lucky John
Sydney, Australia
JuanPoop
View Profile
Loyal user
Luckily for you, I only have
219 Posts

Profile of JuanPoop
Quote:
On Dec 19, 2023, JuanPoop wrote:
Quote:
On Jul 16, 2023, SteveFromSpokane wrote:

I need to check this out, as I have seen so many people refer to it.

Is it a download, or part of another product?

Please disregard, I suffered from a bout of PSS (premature send syndrome). I had actually noted the source prior and just haven't got to ordering it yet.

Sheesh! I need a Christmas break . . .
aka Lucky John
Sydney, Australia
Richard Weber
View Profile
New user
19 Posts

Profile of Richard Weber
I was reading Aronson's "Memories are made of this". He writes,"I prefer Erdnase’s first method, Expert at the Card Table, (1902), p. 159." I've had a look back at that. It is nice. No running of single cards. No jogs. But it is so simple you wonder if it will really fool anyone. There are just 5-6 up and down movements of the right hand. Does anyone use this?
Bobby Forbes
View Profile
Inner circle
virginia beach, VA.
1571 Posts

Profile of Bobby Forbes
A good false shuffle used at the right time absolutely fools people. Crazy to think otherwise. I remember back in the 90's when I saw Bill Malone do Sam the bellhop on world's greatest magic for the first time...I rewatched the tape over and over and couldn't figure out how he was doing it. Later when I started learning about card magic, I watched his video...was just a zarrow and a few false cuts. Fooled the heck out of me. I'll never forget that feeling.
gowenmagic
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of gowenmagic
One of the ones I find myself doing the most is an over the hand shuffle I learned from Joshua Jays lecture “Joshua Jay Live” from Kozmo years ago. You start by taking a couple cards and then they go to the back as you come down, then you take a chunk off that’s a little more and then that goes to the back… and keep repeating until you take most of the cards and only have 1-2 cards left. At speed it looks really good. If anyone wants a video, I can make one and send it. Just DM me. As I don’t think that lecture is available anymore.

Card acrobatics is purely an artistic choice.. I’ll throw in a Sybil while someone is signing a card. But it suits me.
gowenmagic
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of gowenmagic
Here’s 3 shuffles, the second one is the one from the Joshua Jay lecture, happy to do a tutorial on them. Just shoot me a DM and let me know which one and I’ll show you.
The first one is a riffle shuffle anyone can learn in a few hours I think.

https://youtu.be/iKb1iqJlxFs?si=C0lI2gQ7qJab1xkV
gowenmagic
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of gowenmagic
The best thing is doing an anti-farrow by Christian Engblom and then doing 6th Evil Ruse from Sonata and then having them cut the deck. Soooo good.
Nikodemus
View Profile
Inner circle
1198 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
Quote:
On Apr 24, 2024, gowenmagic wrote:
Here’s 3 shuffles, the second one is the one from the Joshua Jay lecture, happy to do a tutorial on them. Just shoot me a DM and let me know which one and I’ll show you.

The riffle shuffle appeared to start with 2D on the bottom of the deck, but finish with the KD.
gowenmagic
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of gowenmagic
Quote:
On Apr 25, 2024, Nikodemus wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 24, 2024, gowenmagic wrote:

The riffle shuffle appeared to start with 2D on the bottom of the deck, but finish with the KD.

It just cuts the deck. Keeps it in the same order though. I do that by habit because it looks better. But you can not do that.