The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Shuffled not Stirred :: Best in hands false shuffle? (35 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Ky
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Ky
I don't care about the easiest, what is the best (in your opinions) false shuffle non-requiring of a table?

I already know a couple OH false shuffles, but feel free to discuss them here as well!
Tim Cavendish
View Profile
Inner circle
1408 Posts

Profile of Tim Cavendish
If you want this sort of hard-won knowledge given to you, tell us how much work you've put in:

Tell us the ones you've tried, and your assessment of those.
Ky
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Ky
Tim Cavendish: My apologies, I'm new to the Café. I would have joined a while back but they weren't accepting new members at the time, and I hadn't tried again until recently. What I currently use is in front of spectators for an in the hands false shuffle is an overhand shuffle. The 2 I am most comfortable with are Harry Lorayne's jog shuffle from his book Close Up Card Magic, and G W Hunter's full deck false shuffle from Greater Magic. I can do an in the hands push through false riffle, but even though it looks good in my mirror, I don't do it in performance because it feels awkward in my hands. I've spent the past 6 months on the Unshuffling Shuffle by Kiko Pastur, but cannot even begin to get the hang of it for my life. Because of this, in an attempt to mimic the action, I've learned to anti-faro. I'm not great at it yet, but I can already tell that it won't be as practical in front of spectators as the Unshuffling Shuffle. Perhaps the reason I couldn't grasp that technique is because the video is in another language with subtitles and not very in depth.

I was looking into getting "Past Midnight" by Benjamin Earl and Alakazam to learn the Grey Shuffle, but was uncertain because I am not certain if it can be done in the hands.

I also have 3 or 4 false cuts that I learned early on and am very comfortable with, but given their flourishy nature, I have never felt that these are anywhere near as deceptive.

I can easily retain the order of my deck without a riffle shuffle (and with the in-hands push through, I can do that sometimes as well), but I know that there has to be a better method or learning source out there that can either lead me to being able to execute the Unshuffling Shuffle, or provide a better method for it.
magicthree
View Profile
Special user
622 Posts

Profile of magicthree
My favorite is in Richard Turner's Beat a Cheat dvd.
WilburrUK
View Profile
Veteran user
389 Posts

Profile of WilburrUK
Depends what impression you want to give. Are you an elegant card expert (Guy Hollingworth), a sloppy chaotic performer (Lennart Green), a normal non-expert (Richard Osterlind). This is (IMHO) the fisrt consideration you should make when selecting a false shuffle - personally I use the Hollingworth shuffle, but a) I wouldn't call myself elegant and b) I'm not saying it's THE BEST, it just suits me.
Tim Cavendish
View Profile
Inner circle
1408 Posts

Profile of Tim Cavendish
WilburrUK makes an excellent point, and since you're wary of some of your false cuts "due to their flourishy nature," you're attuned to those issues, so that's good.

For its balance of reliability and very convincing action -- both visual and auditory -- I personally prefer Derek DelGaudio's Truffle Shuffle. Here's a Café thread where people debate the relative merits of the Truffle and Heinstein shuffles:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=205

But sometimes a riffle shuffle seems out of place. So it's good to know overhand shuffles as well, which you do.
Waterloophai
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1369 Posts

Profile of Waterloophai
The truffle shuffle and the Heinstein shuffle are the two most convincing riffle shuffles. (but they are not easy....)
An innocent looking overhand shuffle can also be convincing.
RiderBacks
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of RiderBacks
Some folks here (not me) are big fans of the Bob King False Shuffle (found only in Ortiz's The Annotated Erdnase). I prefer the Truffle Shuffle (already mentioned above) and the The Fishman Overhand False Shuffle (found only in Patrick Redford's Square). Hope that helps.
Sean Macfarlane
View Profile
Special user
881 Posts

Profile of Sean Macfarlane
Jared Kopf has an excellent false shuffle that's sold in Vanishing Inc.
danielvanm
View Profile
New user
The Netherlands
70 Posts

Profile of danielvanm
I second the Truffle Shuffle by Derek DelGaudio, it can be found as a download on dananddave.com. It's not easy but worth it! And of course a false overhand shuffle which can be found in many different places. Gregory Wilson also describes a variation on this on his second Penguin lecture, I think he calls it the overhand/underhand shuffle. I will send you a link in a PM of this shuffle! If you can do a normal overhand shuffle, you can do this.
- Daniel

"Astonishment is our natural state of mind"

ekgdoc
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of ekgdoc
You might like Dan Fishman's full deck retention false overhand shuffle. I learned it from Patrick Redford's book Applesauce. Here is a demo on YT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQzR1O6wiBw

I have become a fan of the optical false shuffle. Because it is so easy, it allows you to shuffle and simultaneously look directly at the spectator. I have done this many times standing right next to a spec and no one has ever mentioned seeing anything suspicious.

David M.
danielvanm
View Profile
New user
The Netherlands
70 Posts

Profile of danielvanm
Quote:
On Mar 25, 2016, ekgdoc wrote:
You might like Dan Fishman's full deck retention false overhand shuffle. I learned it from Patrick Redford's book Applesauce. Here is a demo on YT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQzR1O6wiBw

I have become a fan of the optical false shuffle. Because it is so easy, it allows you to shuffle and simultaneously look directly at the spectator. I have done this many times standing right next to a spec and no one has ever mentioned seeing anything suspicious.

David M.

Very nice one!
- Daniel

"Astonishment is our natural state of mind"

ThomasJ
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
1000 Posts

Profile of ThomasJ
+1 for Truffle Shuffle. Very deceptive false riffle shuffle. Fishman's above looks really great, too.

I've been toying around with an in-the-hands Zarrow that I accidentally "discovered" years ago when practicing the Faro.

Ultimately the shuffle you use will depend on what makes the most sense within the context of the routine. What follows is a simple one that just popped into my head as I was typing this up. It's influenced by Paul Harris' "Flip-Flop-Plop" control:

1) From right hand end grip, swing cut top half into left mechanics grip and separate the hands. The right hand being roughly 6 inches above and to the right of the left hand.
2) Right index immediately pulls up on the outer edge and breaks off a packet from the right half, using the thumb as the pivot. Upper packet of these in the right hand is held by thumb and index, the lower packet by thumb and ring.
3) The lower packet is dropped onto the left hand's half, keeping a break between the half already in the left hand and the dropped packet. Pinky break would work, but I'd prefer an injog as the packet is dropped.
4) The packet remaining in the right hand is plopped on top of all.
5)Make a straight cut at the break.
While doing the sequence, the left hand should remain relatively still, but right arm moves nonchalantly in a counter-clockwise rhythm as it swings, drops, drops. Breaking the wrist as the right hand packets are dropped seems to aid in the illusion and fairness.

T.J.
Cain
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
1554 Posts

Profile of Cain
I used more frequently do Eric Anderson's false shuffle with an added cutting flourish. Now I prefer to begin with a couple perfect faros (which gets me into a mem-stack). While not technically a false shuffle, I find the perfect faro ideal for a couple of reasons: 1) The cards are genuinely mixed; 2) My second faro finishes with a waterfall cascade (the cards drop from one hand into the other), which is beautiful to look at. This is not only functional, but entertaining. Most of the time people will say, "Do that again," so of course I perform a trick instead. A layperson will see the cascade, and figure it was done in order to amaze or show-off. The cards are obviously getting interwoven, so it will not occur that they end up in a special order, much less one that has been memorized.

In between tricks, when I'm turned to the left, I'll prefer to do the overhand false shuffle that appeared in CLOSELY GUARDED SECRETS and credited to Kennedy/Mead (Ellusionist apparently put out something similar not long ago). When I'm turned to the other side I do a version of the optical false shuffle. I refrain from doing false shuffles that require a riffle because my regular method of shuffling involves butting the packs together. Riffle-shuffling would just be inconsistent.
Ellusionst discussing the Arcane Playing cards: "Michaelangelo took four years to create the Sistine Chapel masterpiece... these took five."

Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes: "You know Einstein got bad grades as a kid? Well, mine are even worse!"
RiderBacks
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of RiderBacks
Quote:
On Mar 25, 2016, Cain wrote: Now I prefer to begin with a couple perfect faros (which gets me into a mem-stack). While not technically a false shuffle, I find the perfect faro ideal for a couple of reasons: 1) The cards are genuinely mixed..

No. The cards are not "genuinely mixed" after a perfect faro. That is nuts.

Quote:
On Mar 25, 2016, Cain wrote: My second faro finishes with a waterfall cascade (the cards drop from one hand into the other), which is beautiful to look at. This is not only functional, but entertaining. Most of the time people will say, "Do that again," so of course I perform a trick instead. A layperson will see the cascade, and figure it was done in order to amaze or show-off. The cards are obviously getting interwoven, so it will not occur that they end up in a special order, much less one that has been memorized.

There is much to be said for this. But despite everything that can be said for this, what the layperson will (or should, if they aren't an idiot) conclude is that you are an expert at handling cards. And this turns your "magic" into mere card manipulation, which you've already telegraphed that you're great at multiple times over. I can do perfect in- or out- faros without a problem. I don't perform these in front of "laymen" or, in fact, before anyone. My faro followed by a waterfall/cascade is flawless. And yes, it is a thing of beauty. But I would never telegraph those types of card handling skills before performing a magic trick.
chappy
View Profile
Special user
764 Posts

Profile of chappy
Cain, I agree that audiences seem to find a well executed waterfall (following a faro shuffle) entertaining to watch and it serves to reinforce that the cards are not being kept in the same order. I used a bridging/cascade rather than a waterfall but for the same basic reasons you've mentioned. Both before and during magic tricks, I find it very effective.

To the OP
+1 for Eric Andersons "Shufflesque". It's a great in the hands false riffle shuffle.

..and another for Truffle Shuffle. It's the in the hands false riffle shuffle I use most often.

danielvanm, I think the overhand shuffle you mention with reference to Greg Wilson is Dan Garrett's Underhanded Overhand Shuffle. It is a great overhand false shuffle.

Best,
Greg
FARO FUNDAMENTALS, DETAILS OF DECEPTION and THE DEVIL'S STAIRCASE at www.thedevilsstaircase.com
Cain
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
1554 Posts

Profile of Cain
Quote:
On Apr 5, 2016, RiderBacks wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 25, 2016, Cain wrote: Now I prefer to begin with a couple perfect faros (which gets me into a mem-stack). While not technically a false shuffle, I find the perfect faro ideal for a couple of reasons: 1) The cards are genuinely mixed..

No. The cards are not "genuinely mixed" after a perfect faro. That is nuts.

Semantic wanking. The order of the cards genuinely changes (except the top and bottom in the case of an out-faro).

Quote:
There is much to be said for this. But despite everything that can be said for this, what the layperson will (or should, if they aren't an idiot) conclude is that you are an expert at handling cards.

That's fine. I am an expert at handling cards. It makes what I do worthy of someone's time and attention. I can also use the assumption against by people by doing a "self-working" trick.

Quote:
And this turns your "magic" into mere card manipulation, which you've already telegraphed that you're great at multiple times over.

By "multiple" you mean two shuffles?

Quote:
I can do perfect in- or out- faros without a problem. I don't perform these in front of "laymen" or, in fact, before anyone. My faro followed by a waterfall/cascade is flawless. And yes, it is a thing of beauty. But I would never telegraph those types of card handling skills before performing a magic trick.

Different strokes. You're missing out. The faro is the cull's evil twin. It's the engine for some of the most powerful tricks that can be done with a regular pack of cards.
Ellusionst discussing the Arcane Playing cards: "Michaelangelo took four years to create the Sistine Chapel masterpiece... these took five."

Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes: "You know Einstein got bad grades as a kid? Well, mine are even worse!"
Ben Blau
View Profile
Inner circle
1475 Posts

Profile of Ben Blau
There are two false shuffles taught in my new book, ASYMPTOTES. One of them is an in the hands false riffle shuffle, that has some unique features. It's called the "Rosanna Shuffle" (some people will get the reference). I think I've shown it to Café member Sean Waters. If you're interested in hearing someone other than me spouting its virtues, ask him what he thought of it.
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7036 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Riderback, Cain and I have a history of differences, but I'm afraid you're out of your league with him. He will reduce you to rubble if he feels like it.
Your lack of knowledge is more apparent with every post.
It has been written and proven in performance, that one of the best ways to mask the perfect faro is to actually point out to the onlooker that all 52 cards are interweaving perfectly. Show them up close. I have done this countless times for intelligent audiences.
Please, do us all a favour and stop with this "it only fools idiots" routine.
You're wrong. It fools Ph.D 's and geniuses. Why? Because they are easier to fool than idiots.
You should know this, but you don't.
RiderBacks
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of RiderBacks
Quote:
On Apr 11, 2016, magicfish wrote: It has been written and proven in performance, that one of the best ways to mask the perfect faro is to actually point out to the onlooker that all 52 cards are interweaving perfectly. Show them up close. I have done this countless times for intelligent audiences.

This is so cute!

Quote:
On Apr 11, 2016, magicfish wrote:Please, do us all a favour and stop with this "it only fools idiots" routine. You're wrong. It fools Ph.D 's and geniuses. Why? Because they are easier to fool than idiots. You should know this, but you don't.

We can talk more after you have earned an advanced degree from an elite institution.