The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Table hoppers & party strollers :: Love Pop Haydn's Chicago Surprise but Hate Ringing in Stranger Cards Secretly? (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Ross W
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1781 Posts

Profile of Ross W
So you do your first colour change.

THen you do Chicago Surprise.

And you imagine that the spectators DON'T think, "Oh yeah! That was the odd backed card from before."?

As you say, Mike, it works for you. It's practical, and it solves a perceived problem in a way that satisfies you. But, IMO, you'e kidding yourself I you think the specs are not on to you.
Author.
Twitter: @rosswelford
www.rosswelford.com
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3521 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Ross W wrote:

Quote:
So you do your first colour change.

THen you do Chicago Surprise.

And you imagine that the spectators DON'T think, "Oh yeah! That was the odd backed card from before."?

In the finale of Chicago Surprise a Red backed card that the spectator has already seen changes into the newly chosen card. You can argue that my showing the stranger card at the beginning eliminates the surprise appearance but you can't argue that spectators won't fall for a color change.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21275 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I can see either side. It is tough to judge without seeing it in action. I am certain Mike knows.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Uli Weigel
View Profile
Inner circle
Berlin, Germany
1478 Posts

Profile of Uli Weigel
Quote:
On Apr 6, 2016, ROBERT BLAKE wrote:
If you have a bycicle deck. open the deck. leave the wrapper around the box. if you ar done push the odd card between the wrapper and deck.

That's how I do it too, except that I place both the stranger card and the matching card from the deck under the cellophane. Now you can use the deck for any trick you like. If you want to perform the Chicago Opener or the Chicago Surprise respectively, place the deck momentarily on the opened card box and talk or perform something else. When you grab the deck again, simply add the two cards under the cellophane. The half-moon cutout of the card case makes this easy.
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3521 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Thank You Uli Weigel,

I like that suggestion.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3695 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Be aware of the effect of the trick. The effect is first off that the magician can change the back of the chosen card through the will alone.
The second effect in the routine is that he can change the face of the card to any card the spectator chooses by the will alone.

It seems to me, that introducing a stranger card at the beginning changes the nature of the effect as well as the premise of the routine.
j100taylor
View Profile
Inner circle
1198 Posts

Profile of j100taylor
I open with a color-changing deck which leaves you "dirty" with an odd back card in the deck. I leverage this by following with another effect that requires an odd back card. I could follow with Chicago Opener but I would have to cull the mate into position.

I agree with Pop's comment above. With this solution the spectators believe you just changed all the cards to the same color and an odd back card isn't suspected - plus following with CO further demonstrates that you can change the backs at will.
Lakewood, Ohio
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3521 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Thanks for this wonderful card trick Pop Haydn.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
danaruns
View Profile
Special user
The City of Angels
808 Posts

Profile of danaruns
One of the things I dislike about this forum is when someone posts something they find helpful or a solution to a problem, and all of a sudden they find themselves on the run having to defend their post from the inflamed mob. I think if Mike likes to do it that way, we should respect it, and respect the fact that he was trying to be helpful. Perhaps someone else will find it helpful, too, which is why Mike posted in the first place. The way Pop got this routine in the first place was by trying a solution to a perceived problem with Chicago Opener. Experimentation should be encouraged, and if someone likes a method and it changes the nature of the trick, well good! Now you have options about how you perform it. Mike's option takes away nothing, it only adds to the body of methods out there for us.
"Dana Douglas is the greatest magician alive. Plus, I'm drunk." -- Foster Brooks
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3695 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Quote:
On May 16, 2016, danaruns wrote:
One of the things I dislike about this forum is when someone posts something they find helpful or a solution to a problem, and all of a sudden they find themselves on the run having to defend their post from the inflamed mob. I think if Mike likes to do it that way, we should respect it, and respect the fact that he was trying to be helpful. Perhaps someone else will find it helpful, too, which is why Mike posted in the first place. The way Pop got this routine in the first place was by trying a solution to a perceived problem with Chicago Opener. Experimentation should be encouraged, and if someone likes a method and it changes the nature of the trick, well good! Now you have options about how you perform it. Mike's option takes away nothing, it only adds to the body of methods out there for us.

I think it is always good to evaluate methods, and examine pros and cons. I don't think questioning our choices is the same as attacking. I didn't think there was an inflamed mob. Mike posted a problem and possible solution, and people have responded by looking at the various possibilities. I don't think it is very artistic to dismiss the possibility that one solution might be better than another. There may not be one solution that satisfies everyone's concerns.

There are always more solutions than one, but that doesn't mean they are all equally as good.
danaruns
View Profile
Special user
The City of Angels
808 Posts

Profile of danaruns
Quote:
On May 16, 2016, Pop Haydn wrote:
I think it is always good to evaluate methods, and examine pros and cons. I don't think questioning our choices is the same as attacking. I didn't think there was an inflamed mob. Mike posted a problem and possible solution, and people have responded by looking at the various possibilities. I don't think it is very artistic to dismiss the possibility that one solution might be better than another. There may not be one solution that satisfies everyone's concerns.

There are always more solutions than one, but that doesn't mean they are all equally as good.

You're right, of course. But don't get me wrong. I actually am not a big fan of Mike's solution either, and for me it takes away without adding anything that seems of much value to me. But it had value to Mike, for his very narrow need, even if it changes the premise or nature of the effect. To me, the sudden appearance of the stranger card plays a huge part in the story of the trick. It's fully half of it, in fact: there is changing the face of the card, but before that there is changing the back, which makes it doubly powerful when the face changes also.

But Mike had a particular need in mind, and wanted to share a solution for that particular need. I felt that some of the comments seemed to me to not be analyzing based on the need that Mike had (though others were right on point), but were just generally critical. But I've been reading a few threads lately where folks seem to like to pile on, so maybe I was a little quick in coming to Mike's defense. You're right. This wasn't anywhere close to one of those piling on threads. It was just a few posts that I had focused in on.
"Dana Douglas is the greatest magician alive. Plus, I'm drunk." -- Foster Brooks
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3521 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
I appreciate the feedback.

These threads can get long so some people just read the initial post and then reply which can make their reply seem tone deaf.

A couple of people couldn't resist putting a little dig into their comment but most were respectful and helpful.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1999 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
Yeah, as threads go at the Café, this one is normal and dare I say tame. I hope I did my part to keep it cordial and respectful.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
Aus
View Profile
Special user
Australia
997 Posts

Profile of Aus
To me there is a simple solution all this, have the odd backed card on the bottom of the deck in its case with the deck, when the trick is needed simply take the deck out control the card to it's required location ready for the trick.

When the trick isn't being performed open the card box and place a finger on the bottom card of the deck as the rest of the deck is being extracted retaining the odd backed card in the box well the normal deck is taken out.

After the set is done put the deck back in the card box well making sure the odd card is back at the bottom of the deck as the deck is replaced. Repeat the above procedure as required. Now you can get rid of the wallet making for even more pocket space and you don't need to reveal the odd nature of the odd backed card.

So you don't forget put a red dot sticker on the side of the box where the card is closest serving as a memory aid even put the initials CS on the sticker for the tricks name, the spectators won't know what the letters stands for.

Magically

Aus
martydoesmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1704 Posts

Profile of martydoesmagic
I stumbled across this post while doing some deep study into "Chicago Opener" and "Chicago Surprise". I like the practicality of Mike's idea, but I agree with Pop that it diminishes the effect somewhat. However, there is a way of using Mike's idea to openly reset the trick and maintain the surprise element for the following table. Perform the colour change (and DUC) to "reset" the deck at the very end of your performance of "Chicago Surprise" (or your complete set of tricks). Don't make a big deal of it. This is a small piece of "incidental magic" that reinforces the idea that you really can change the colour of the back of a card through willpower alone. Then, move on to your next group.

Personally, I also like the idea of giving the card away as a souvenir, as Giobbi suggests in his description of "SuperLative Lover" in Card College 5.

Marty