The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Let there be magic! :: Publishing questions??? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Themagicfox
View Profile
New user
8 Posts

Profile of Themagicfox
I have 3+ tricks that I have been working on/designing for quite some time. The ideas are not brand new, but they are improvements on old methods or alternative looks for some of the props. I do not want to step on any toes by trying to sell my effects, so what is the best way to 1) make sure my idea is original enough to sell, 2) that there is a need for it in the market place, and 3) (for the tricks that are improvements or alternative looks to the gimmicks/props) make sure that royalties are paid to the rightful person who came up with the idea in the first place?

I have heard Murphy's will help you with the majority of this, does anyone have any experience with them in publishing?
chappy
View Profile
Special user
764 Posts

Profile of chappy
Themagicfox

Here on the café there are a number of VERY knowledgeable people who can help you with 1 & 2. Reading through a few different categories/sub-sections, you will be able to identify a handful of these people. I recommend that you select and contact a few different people via PM about helping you with information regarding originality (1), and deciding whether it warrants publishing (2).

No. 3 sounds like more than 1 issue. Good luck with that one. Perhaps someone else here will have some advice about it.

I hope that helps
FARO FUNDAMENTALS, DETAILS OF DECEPTION and THE DEVIL'S STAIRCASE at www.thedevilsstaircase.com
Koolmagic114
View Profile
Veteran user
314 Posts

Profile of Koolmagic114
I have marketed 4 effects through Murphy's Magic.. I have also been a dealer with them for many years. After you have done a little of your research, give them a call they will be quite helpful.

Eddy
Eddy

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Co-Creator of "TAGZ" / "Iced Over" / " TelePad" / "Penigma"
www.magicianslair.com
Luke Jonas
View Profile
Regular user
Yorkshire UK
191 Posts

Profile of Luke Jonas
Research is vital and the café is the best place to start to find out about your first two points. number 3 is a tricky one?? and murphys are really good and will help you every step of the way. but reaching out to knowledgeable members is a good way to find out originality.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Here is one way to get started.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/2580