The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The workers :: Looking for an elegant bottom control (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
neoinwonderland
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of neoinwonderland
Hey guys,

I am slowly updating all my favourite card tricks so that they look more "elegant" (by this I mean more flashy/flourishy/smooth). However I am running into troubles with finding a nice bottom control for a specific trick. The problem is that the selected card needs to be controlled to the bottom but the card that originally was on the bottom needs to stay in that position (so the selected card ends up at the bottom and above it is the card that previously was on the bottom). My most elegant choice so far (the one I like best) is the "behind bars"-control by Ollie Mealing but the problem I personally have with this control is that the spectator can not remove a card themselves from the deck.

Do you guys have any suggestions for a flourishy bottom control where it is possible to take the card back from the spectator where it seems that the deck is not cut in any way (preferably angle proof since I mostly do strolling / walkaround magic)? I would rate my card magic skill level as intermediate so suggestions of any skill level are welcome.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
Woz
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of Woz
Although not flashy, ed marlo's convincing control sounds suitable.
jim ferguson
View Profile
Veteran user
Ayrshire, Scotland
386 Posts

Profile of jim ferguson
While not flashy or flourishy (I'm not sure I'd equate these with elegant) a spread cull would work.

Jim
JasonEngland
View Profile
V.I.P.
Las Vegas, NV
1730 Posts

Profile of JasonEngland
I have a 1-on-1 download at Theory11.com called the "Single-Card Straddle Pass" that might fit your requirements.

Jason

PS: Although it's called the "Single-card" Straddle Pass, the technique can actually be used for multiple cards with virtually no change in technique.

https://store.theory11.com/products/sing......dle-pass
Eternal damnation awaits anyone who questions God's unconditional love. --Bill Hicks
hp
View Profile
Regular user
163 Posts

Profile of hp
The Ovette Master Move/Kelly Bottom Placement is smooth, though not flashy.

Howard
1tepa1
View Profile
Inner circle
1282 Posts

Profile of 1tepa1
The cull is the most convincing control in this case. The spectator can themselves put the card in the middle of the deck wherever they want and withing a second you can either close the spread and put the deck down or just drop the deck down to the table while the spread is still open.
RSchlutz
View Profile
V.I.P.
512 Posts

Profile of RSchlutz
A little more flashy control is the Fan-Atic control in card finesse. I use this control from time to time.

Ryan
neoinwonderland
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

First of all, thanks for all the replies!

The cull has indeed been the best solution so far for me (and the one I have been using for this trick in the past), however I chose to replace it look for a different sleight because I want to try something new and flashy but thanks for the suggestions anyways Smile. I can imagine that I might stick to this in the end since it has been so practical and probably also more straightforward to spectators than a flashy move, I just wanted to look what other options I have Smile.

I will have a look at all the moves later this week, see if there is anything that suits my needs. Again thanks for all the tips!
1tepa1
View Profile
Inner circle
1282 Posts

Profile of 1tepa1
Quote:
On Feb 16, 2016, neoinwonderland wrote:

The cull has indeed been the best solution so far for me (and the one I have been using for this trick in the past), however I chose to replace it look for a different sleight because I want to try something new and flashy but thanks for the suggestions anyways Smile. I can imagine that I might stick to this in the end since it has been so practical and probably also more straightforward to spectators than a flashy move, I just wanted to look what other options I have Smile.

I will have a look at all the moves later this week, see if there is anything that suits my needs. Again thanks for all the tips!

But why would a flashy move after or during the replacement of a spectators be better than a "no move" replacement?
ThomasJ
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
1000 Posts

Profile of ThomasJ
I believe there is a control in Arthur Buckley's CARD CONTROL which can accomplish this. It's a Hindu type of shuffle, so I'm not sure if you consider that elegant or not. There are different camps on that.

If you're interested I can do some digging when I get home.

TJ
neoinwonderland
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Quote:
On Feb 16, 2016, 1tepa1 wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 16, 2016, neoinwonderland wrote:

But why would a flashy move after or during the replacement of a spectators be better than a "no move" replacement?

I don't believe it is better, I'm just looking to switch things up. Most of my tricks are not flashy, however I also love to flourish and I am just looking for a control that fits better to the flow of a flourish. Just a simple example to illustrate this, if I have just thrown one selection into the deck while doing a one handed revolution (see last phase of Dan and Dave's ferrari 30 spider cut), I would create a dead beat if I just casually push the 2nd selection back in the deck. It's just a thing I like to do with quick tricks, maybe it's wrong from a magician's viewpoint but the flourishing in between is something that gets me some good feedback so I am just looking for ways to incorporate it more into my magic. I understand some tricks are way better without all kinds of fancy moves but I just want to give it a try and see where it fits perfectly.
Geeraff12
View Profile
New user
Tasmania, Australia
74 Posts

Profile of Geeraff12
TPC is my most often used bottom control.
neoinwonderland
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Quote:
On Feb 16, 2016, ThomasJ wrote:
I believe there is a control in Arthur Buckley's CARD CONTROL which can accomplish this. It's a Hindu type of shuffle, so I'm not sure if you consider that elegant or not. There are different camps on that.

If you're interested I can do some digging when I get home.

TJ

Just looked the book up and it looks like a must have that can take my card skills further, especially for that price. Thanks for the tip! I think I will buy this book in the near future, always love a good read, so if you happen to know the name of the control you mentioned I would be glad to hear it!
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3096 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
I was experimenting with your scenario. I placed a selected card in the middle of the deck and performed a side steal to the top of the deck. I then just performed a top card pass to the bottom followed by some false cuts for continuity. It was quick, smooth and accomplished the desired result.
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
jim ferguson
View Profile
Veteran user
Ayrshire, Scotland
386 Posts

Profile of jim ferguson
Quote:
On Feb 17, 2016, davidpaul$ wrote: I placed a selected card in the middle of the deck and performed a side steal to the top of the deck. I then just performed a top card pass to the bottom followed by some false cuts for continuity.

A side steal, pass and some false cuts - to get a selection to the bottom of the deck ?

Jim
bignickolson
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of bignickolson
The control in Buckley's Book is the Hindu Shift I believe and it's a great control for a multiple selection routine.
ThomasJ
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
1000 Posts

Profile of ThomasJ
Quote:
On Feb 17, 2016, jim ferguson wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 17, 2016, davidpaul$ wrote: I placed a selected card in the middle of the deck and performed a side steal to the top of the deck. I then just performed a top card pass to the bottom followed by some false cuts for continuity.

A side steal, pass and some false cuts - to get a selection to the bottom of the deck ?

Jim

I was hoping he was joking! Haha.

Nickolson, that sounds right, but I'll double check when I get home.
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3096 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Quote:
On Feb 17, 2016, jim ferguson wrote:
Quote:

Jim

The OP wants to keep the existing bottom card where it is , have a card selected, placed back in the deck and end up on the bottom of deck on top of the existing bottom card. So ... side steal the card to top then pass or double undercard to the bottom. Done. This maintains the bottom card as the OP wanted with the selected card at the desired position.
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
jim ferguson
View Profile
Veteran user
Ayrshire, Scotland
386 Posts

Profile of jim ferguson
Quote:
On Feb 17, 2016, davidpaul$ wrote:The OP wants to keep the existing bottom card where it is , have a card selected, placed back in the deck and end up on the bottom of deck on top of the existing bottom card.

I think you've read it wrong. He wants the selection on the bottom, with the original bottom card above.

However, regardless of whether the card is to be on the bottom or second from the bottom - the cull is still one of the best, most streamlined options.

It makes no sense to use a sleight to control the card to the top, then have to do another one to move it to the bottom - when it can be moved straight to the bottom using a single, totally invisible move in the first place.

Jim
Cardguy52
View Profile
Loyal user
246 Posts

Profile of Cardguy52
Or just side steal to the bottom.