The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Rings, strings & things :: Metal TT's? (16 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
I always use a but of paper towel and if it gets dry spit in the tt. It's not pretty but it works in a pinch
Austen
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Austen
Quote:
On Feb 1, 2016, Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse wrote:
I always use a but of paper towel and if it gets dry spit in the tt. It's not pretty but it works in a pinch

spit and soggy cig butts, what a life. And you say you do magic cause you love it? Smile
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9997 Posts

Profile of funsway
I have old brass TT - heavy, and the first one I ordered from Golden Gate Magic back in 1957 -- aluminum.

They were too big back then and too small now. Didn't keep me from using them.

When Ian Garrison (MagicIan) was visiting a couple of years ago we traded ideas for showing the ends separate for a C&R

I demonstrated an old method (to me) with a TT on each thumb to mask the rope between my hands (alternately, not at the same time)

each was a different size, color and one was metal. He never detected either since his focus was on the rope ends and dangling scissors.

Long ago I learned that if you think the TT will be seen it probably will be, but if you don't care, it won't.

I also have a metal tip with wick sticking out and cotton padding inside for lighter fluid. It came with my 1925 vintage Multipying Candles, but I doubt it is original.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Yeah Ken!
I have a "set" of metal TTs from the late Ken Allen (New Jersey). Each one has a wick and cotton inside. It was some sort of "flaming fingers" thing...I can't remember! (I never bought it from Ken. It "came" in a box of gimmicks from an estate.)

Ken had some nice items (remember "Allen's Attic", his mail out sheet?) His "Monkey Bar" sold big. We used it when I was producing clown with Wayne Franzen's circus in 1977. A young lad whom I was mentoring, did it in the center (and, only) ring. It packed small, and played big!
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
You just mentioned showing the ends separate (in a C&R rope). Did you read "my" CONVINCING COUNT in my book? I found it in an "ancient" magazine (I think it was in the SPHINX).

I'll never forget a lecture at Magic Inc. in about '95! It was a great turn out! Many of the old timers showed up. When I did the COUNT, EVERYONE STOOD UP AND APPLAUDED! I never had had a standing "O" in a lecture before!
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Ken...(I'm still here!)
Do you remember the P&L GOBLIN TUBE, TT? Hekk, do you remember the Goblin Tube??
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9997 Posts

Profile of funsway
Heard of it, but never seen. I have some old stuff with no clue as to what it is. May have to send you photos.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Austen
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Austen
Quote:

If you were going to do a cigarette vanish (and I guess that's about the only kind of cig effect a person could do nowadays), maybe a bit of wet sponge jammed way down into the end of a plastic tip would help?

even that's getting hard, I don't know about you but with all the non smoking laws In Aust all the smokers are banished to some outside area away from everyone. No more smoking at the pub, gez you arnt even allowed to get drunk in a pub these days.
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8357 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Ken...I'll PM you~~!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Jan 30, 2016, ColtonRaelund wrote:
Why did magicians transfer to plastic TT's? Is it still possible to buy a metal TT? I could not imagine that it is because plastic is more realistic. TT's are not SUPPOSED to be realistic, they are gimmicks! A gimmick is not supposed to be seen. This is mostly out of curiosity...

Customer demand is want drives the magic market, and sales accelerated when Vernet started manufacturing and selling their TT's. Vernet's were longer, and looked more like a thumb, as I could swear they got a mold of my thumb, as it is an exact match, to my thumb.

Most likely the whole thing perpetuated because, people would order the Vanishing Cigarette through Handkerchief, and when they opened the box was sorely disappointed with the metal gimmicks. Thus not many used them. I remember performing this this trick for a police officer when I was 12 years old. I borrowed his cigarette he was smoking and vanished it. I really never thought about the gimmick, whether it matched or not. The trick worked and I used it regularly, finally combining it with Cig-Thru-Quarter. I eventually switched to the standard Cigarette vanisher. As spectator's were more concerned where the cigarette went, then about the Quarter I borrowed.

I don't know of any metal TT still available on the magic market except the used magic market.

I got a complete set of P&L TT's a few years ago from Ron Allesi magic. They are really nice, 4 fingers and a thumb. Expensive at $15 each, but these are in mint condition. Ron Allesi then changed his website and they are not shown any longer, I know the picture he had a lot more. If your really interested, contact him and see if he still has a supply. P & L was the best made and a little longer then the old Adam's metal TT. Adam's started to get shorter and you would have to only borrow a cigarette that was a "butt" to do the trick.

If you want do the Cigarette in plastic TT, just put a piece of aluminum foil in the bottom of the TT. I really don't know why guys complain that they have to spend another few dollars once a year or several years for a TT. Nothing lasts forever, and if you are being paid for your services, why complain. Vernet now makes so many different type of TT's and finger T's, that there is no reason, to not venture into creating even better magic with this powerful gimmick.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3875 Posts

Profile of Julie
Hi guys

The tt with a wick sticking out and cotton inside was U.F. Grant's CANDLE-LITE. The effect is that the magician can pick up the flame from one candle and move it to another. I don't know if this was original with him...?

Julie
Stu Montgomery
View Profile
Veteran user
St Petersburg FL
354 Posts

Profile of Stu Montgomery
Spun aluminium TT's still made under the 'Goblin' name. I have 2 & by pure co-incidence, I stumbled across a dealer selling them whilst browsing last night...though I can't recall where!!
"Round about what is, lies a whole mysterious world of might be" Longfellow.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Morrissey Magic made the Goblin TT, but they went out of business a year of two ago. Only stock is what is on dealer's shelves. I believe D. Robbins Company purchased the remaining stock from Morrissey Magic of Canada. There are none being made today to my knowledge.
Austen
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Austen
Quote:
On Feb 1, 2016, Stu Montgomery wrote:
Spun aluminium TT's still made under the 'Goblin' name. I have 2 & by pure co-incidence, I stumbled across a dealer selling them whilst browsing last night...though I can't recall where!!

Penguin have them for about $8
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Feb 2, 2016, Austen wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 1, 2016, Stu Montgomery wrote:

Penguin have them for about $8

They are "Out Of Stock"!

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S13496
Stu Montgomery
View Profile
Veteran user
St Petersburg FL
354 Posts

Pity they're no longer made...bit basic compared with Vernet but something perhaps nostalgic in their utilitarian appearance.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3875 Posts

Profile of Julie
Remember the Goblin Tube by P&L? The longer/larger tt (referred to as a "thumb shell" in the original instructions) sounds like it may have been the inspiration for the Goblin tt name by Penguin's supplier; or perhaps the "Goblin" tt predated the P&L apparatus set? Did Penguin ever sell the correct match-up of the Goblin tt and the (ungimmicked) drum head tube?
Stu Montgomery
View Profile
Veteran user
St Petersburg FL
354 Posts

MagicNevin (UK) currently advertise the "Goblin Tube, by Morrissey Magic", complete with a classic/vintage pen & ink drawing, for £15.49. Magic Shop (EU) have a photograph of the Goblin TT & Tube at 24.95 Euro.

Goblin Tube Morrissey

The GOBLIN TUBE is a mini-miracle performed under test conditions. The basic effect is that the performer hands out a small metal tube for examination. Two metal rings and two pieces of tissue are also given to the spectator. He is requested to seal both ends of the tube with the rings and tissue, thereby forming a drumhead. The magician then takes the sealed tube from the spectator; shows both hands empty; breaks through the tissue and produces a silk hanky. Everything, both before and after the effect may be examined. Supplied complete will all the necessary props, and detailed instructions with tips, hints, ideas and suggestions that can make the GOBLIN TUBE one of the more versatile props in your repertoire.
Stu Montgomery
View Profile
Veteran user
St Petersburg FL
354 Posts

Quick Google Smile Max's Magic Shop (US) have what's described as "P & L Early Goblin Tube with Goblin Thumb Tip" at a hefty $74.95 complete with a pic of a slightly damaged TT Smile
Pirouz
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of Pirouz
I still have 2 metal TTs from way back when.
I don't use them now but I do want to touch them up with flesh colored paint.
Pirouz