The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Nothing up my sleeve... :: Favorite Matrix? (19 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1682 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
Zach, you could be correct in the bird cage, that the applause come with the reappearance of the bird. But for the point of the discussion the disappearance of the birdcage is irrelevant if it was done by sleight or by mechanical means, for the audience, it is gone.

Fonda, I will disagree with you, in my view, I will applaud at the end of the original matrix because the trick is paced and "in crescendo" until the 4 coins are together, but I will be silent on the Flash matrix, too sudden, no time to react. David approach, will help with the sudden end of the Flash adding a pacer move later on. The "How did he do that" in my view could apply to both.
Revilomagic
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of Revilomagic
Does anybody know of a matrix where all four coins travel at once as a finale? (such as in some coins across/coins through table routines when each travels individually first, then together) Or do you perhaps feel this wouldn't add anything to what's already a great effect?
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9997 Posts

Profile of funsway
I have always felt that the expectations of the audience is an important factor in deciding which effects to perform and in what order.

People who know of Al Schneider and go to watch him perform expect a high level of magic, mostly Theatrical perhaps, but with tough of Virtual.
A slow pace suits his presentation style and a lot of subtleties and psychological ploys in play, e.g. his Basic Vanish.
The original Matrix evolved from both his style and attention to asking, "What is the audience thinking right now?" -- at least that is what I got form his books.

Performers like Mb and many others posting on the Café seem to prefer a setting where the audience expectations are less known: on the bus, street corner or at lunch break.
It may not even be known that the performer is a magician. The audience has to be trained as to what to expect to some degree.
A slow presentation may not be appropriate, or even the use of a table top. Or even coins at all.

So, perhaps it is a mistake to attempt to speed up an effect like Matrix -- or to call it Matrix just because cards and coins are used.
One certainly cannot assess "better than" without knowing the chosen audience or setting.

Now, this thread asked about "favorite" that has little to do with "better" or "best."

I would love to hear from folks as to why a certain approach is their favorite as related to expectations of the audience.

I have learned important thinks from Al and Mb and Dave -- but nothing from squabbling or chest beating.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
"This is your last chance. After this, there is no turning back. You take the blue pill - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill - you stay in wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes" --- Morpheus (speaking of the Matrix)

I will have to agree with MB when it comes to taking the red pill and seeing what improvements, changes, additions or whatever can be added or taken away from the original. Not that the original is not good (It is fantastic) but it is what we were told "The Matrix" was when there was much more out there.
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Peckham
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of Peckham
I like the late JC Wagners Penny Matrix
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27302 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Any feelings about starting with five cards?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Dollarbill
View Profile
Inner circle
Colorado
1005 Posts

Profile of Dollarbill
Quote:
On Jan 4, 2016, Peckham wrote:
I like the late JC Wagners Penny Matrix

I like this too. I have never heard of or seen the others and they are every bit as good imo. Smile

I have seen Al's version but again, a great effect!
Munken
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of Munken
Rune Klan's 3 coin matrix (if not Al's).

3 pieces of silver DVD. Great magic by Rune Klan.
Peckham
View Profile
Loyal user
225 Posts

Profile of Peckham
There was also a matrix routine done with butterfly's, I think Buma released it 10 years ago.
tyler_rabbit
View Profile
Loyal user
286 Posts

Profile of tyler_rabbit
We owe a debt to Al for getting so many people's creative juices flowing with his original creation.
+1 for Dean Dill's Tonight Show Matrix and Simple Matrix w/ Backfire. Love those backfires!!
ugdini13
View Profile
Loyal user
Chino,Ca
259 Posts

Profile of ugdini13
In no particular order

1. Bob Kohler's Return to Spender from Impossibilia
2. Dean's Tonight Show Matrix from his Intimate Miracles Book
3. Armando Lucero's Matrix Routine....Not in print to my knowledge
4. The Original by Mr. Schneider
"Perfection is in the details, but detail is no Perfection"-Dai Vernon
dj
View Profile
Inner circle
1190 Posts

Profile of dj
Armando Lucero´s Matrix routine.
Magic-Daniel
View Profile
Inner circle
Denmark
1328 Posts

Profile of Magic-Daniel
After watching David Ben perform Ross Bertram's routine from Stars of Magic, this is definately one of my favorite matrix routines. Extremely slow and magical
miistermagico
View Profile
Regular user
154 Posts

Profile of miistermagico
This is my favorite coin matrix: Ryan Hayashi's Ultimate Coin Matrix

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKQ_tvbrDQQ

It looks very difficult. It is very beautiful. WOW!!
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1682 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
I am not sure that what Hayashi does is the Matrix, maybe is inspired by the Schneiser's one, but this one has a lot of things going on, backfires, reverse, etc. It is entertaining, however because of the lenght and the heavy sleight of hands it is more a demonstration of the magician skills. I had the same feeling when watching cards manipulations. The magician is the center piece not the routine.
I'd agree with Schneider here on the difference between the spectator amazed by the skill of the performer and the actual moment of magic.

I think that if Mr Hayashi just takes a piece of the whole routine, then he will have more impactant.

I hope this post does not sound negative, it is my way of looking at magic
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9538 Posts

Profile of Mb217
I really like Hayashi's work, and think this is pretty nice, more a demonstration of what can be done…Any little piece of which would fool laymen out their shoes.

I'm sure he wouldn't do all of it like that, but more so he seems to be showing the many possibilities (and he's showing it quite well, I might add). Smile

It seems he might've won some "European Championship" with it, so that would say quite a bit for it as to magicians. As to regular specs, done in part, it would be quite effective as 7-8 different ways of doing it at his beck & call…Every one as much a fooler as the original classic effect (which clearly inspired it all), some even creatively more so, IMHO. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1682 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
Marion, I agree as a demonstration of potential possibilities is very good
tyler_rabbit
View Profile
Loyal user
286 Posts

Profile of tyler_rabbit
Yeah I was going to say, after Hayashi's, there's really nowhere to go from there. It has everything, which is clearly too much, but it's a stunning competition piece!
miistermagico
View Profile
Regular user
154 Posts

Profile of miistermagico
On the East Coast Magic Productions' A Weekend at the 4F: The Original Close-up FFFF Magic Convention with "Obie" O'Brien, Volume One, DVD, Ryan Hayashi lectures on "The Matrix Trilogy". Ryan Hayashi's Ultimate Cups and Balls https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDoVmlMd......ndscreen though not a Matrix is also brilliantly performed. As he says "Check it out". What a very talented magician!! Very inspiring.
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
That was an amazing cups and balls