The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Table hoppers & party strollers :: What are your favorite mentalism effect to perform table hopping? (28 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Paul Rathbun
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
2544 Posts

Profile of Paul Rathbun
I think Priceless will be one of my new favorites once it arrives.
sophiamartin
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of sophiamartin
Invisible deck and my magic square routine using a Svengali notepad
John Macmillan
View Profile
Loyal user
Vancouver, BC
226 Posts

Profile of John Macmillan
Quote:
On May 1, 2016, sophiamartin wrote:
Invisible deck and my magic square routine using a Svengali notepad

Can you describe your magic square routine using a Svengali notepad?
sophiamartin
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of sophiamartin
Sure, I show a small notepad with numbers 1-50, and ask spectator to say stop while I riffle down, forcing the number 46. Then I unfold a piece of paper stuck to the back of the notebook with 16 numbers written in a 4x4 grid, none of them are correct, but all rows columns, corners and 2x2 square add up to their number 46
helder
View Profile
Inner circle
Portugal
1066 Posts

Profile of helder
Quote:
On May 2, 2016, sophiamartin wrote:
Sure, I show a small notepad with numbers 1-50, and ask spectator to say stop while I riffle down, forcing the number 46. Then I unfold a piece of paper stuck to the back of the notebook with 16 numbers written in a 4x4 grid, none of them are correct, but all rows columns, corners and 2x2 square add up to their number 46

Looks good, do you have a video of it?
My version of Eddie fetcher "Be Honest What's it?" it's available at Penguin Magic
Check my Facebook group: Mentalism Secrets
Email: heldermagico@gmail.com
www.facebook.com/heldermagico
John Macmillan
View Profile
Loyal user
Vancouver, BC
226 Posts

Profile of John Macmillan
Quote:
On May 2, 2016, sophiamartin wrote:

I like it. Thanks for sharing.
sophiamartin
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of sophiamartin
Helder, no not yet, will post a video when I get round to filming.

John, no problem, I'm glad you like it!
mrsmiles
View Profile
Elite user
443 Posts

Profile of mrsmiles
These are my favourites but note as a magician rather than a mentalist I usually put just ONE of these in my set now & again mixed in with my magic. Hope these ideas help anyway and they are ALL suitable for table hopping.

> Spoon bending
> TNT by Wayne Dobson released by Wayne Fox & sold by other dealers too I think. (It's a 'free will' type effect on nice laminated/thick plastic card, not playing card stock, so a nice change of prop objects as well as a strong routine in itself)
> Divided attention by Jay Sankey (on one of his dvds).. a list of items is shown & selected & is the one predicted by you.
> B'wave

Couple of additional comments below about Powerball 60, Magic Squares, & Priceless if I may that others mention here (they are perfectly good recommendations!)

With MAGIC SQUARES I have sometimes done the following though this is normally a bit cumbersome for table magic but will work on a 'slow' night when you are not rushing (I know that this is rare with restaurant magic!) I did it only last week but in a PARLOUR magic setting to a private dinner party but just a few people: What I do is I have a few 'empty' magic squares pre-drawn on the back of my business cards to hand out one between two (I give everyone else a business card when I leave the table from my double sided stock of business cards or a blank one if they prefer it). This is so that there are less people who need to hear you clearly & makes the experience/routine a bit more communal & shared. Therefore I proceed with the routine with calling out the numbers & showing/pointing to my cards for them to copy down. It also means you need carry less pens/biros with you. I typically do this to tables of just 4-8 people. You are of course giving your business card away with this approach & it makes it a shared/interactive experience as stated, but only useful in quiet restaurants or on quiet nights.
If anyone's interested to know, I do the magic square where they nominate a number between 30-60. I have my square pre-filled, except for the missing 3 numbers, but have it on top so that I casually show an empty square with a DL initially.
Btw, Sophia, many compliments on your approach - I like how you do it very much.

With POWERBALL 60 I have used it semi-comedicaly; the way I have done this is on those occasions when a spectator has said "tell us the winning lottery numbers!" or "I wouldn't gamble/play cards with you!". I often capitalise on this to drop my usual set & go into the following: When they say those things I respond with precautionary words & warnings about gambling (in a light-hearted & comedic manner of course) & say that even I can't win at it let alone the general public. So I then go into Powerball 60 & 3 card monte (aka colour monte but with 'two' jokers an ace of diamonds as the winner card & the ace of spades or clubs as the kicker ending)

I note paul's comment about 'Priceless'. I too like the look of this very much and although the kicker ending is inherently mentalist, I rather think it's real value is purely comedic as a quick throwaway item at any point in your set or as an opener. My feeling is that I wouldn't play it as serious mentalism. That's just my thoughts/preference because I am pretty sure I will obtain it for my next parlour or stand up show.

I think I'll look up Mark Striving's Symbol Minded. I just took a look at Penguin's trailer for his lecture & I like the look of his style & approach. Mark, if you're reading this, is SM on the lecture?

Regards,
mrsmiles
(UK)
StanleyRosenhouse
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of StanleyRosenhouse
Another vote for Powerball 60
Stan
MikeDes
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal
1174 Posts

Profile of MikeDes
I have also used David Acer's Nomen Omen for years! It is a great mentalism routine and it leaves the spectators holding my business cards with the prediction on the back.
Christopher Taylor
View Profile
V.I.P.
British Columbia Canada
2316 Posts

Profile of Christopher Taylor
I have been performing every Saturday, that I am not traveling, at a restaurant for the past 5 years. I find it a fantastic proving ground for my new material and products (such as Apogee, mentioned by The Baldini, above). Still, I do have a few favourite effects that I regularly perform. They include my Cardless Cartomancy (with a pocket index); Hero, with the Pocket Printing Press; Free Will with Eclipse; Half-Track (card effect); and key ad coin bending.

Christopher
Christopher Taylor

Member P.E.A.

www.taylorimagineering.com

MAKING MENTALISM MORE IMPOSSIBLE
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3700 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
I have a little trick called Psychic Color Sticks. It was only $15 and is worth its weight in gold. It even fooled my wife, which makes it bona-fide. It's totally examinable, and so simple to do. If you've never heard of it, look it up.

Jim
Mark Strivings
View Profile
V.I.P.
290 Posts

Profile of Mark Strivings
Mrsmiles,

Symbol Minded is not on the Penguin lecture purely because it is a marketed item and not something that you can make yourself. It IS a fabulous strolling mentalism piece that I use all the time and sell out virtually every time I demo it at a lecture or convention. It simply doesn't get any easier, resets instantly and is endlessly repeatable. It's a worker in every sense of the word. If you'd like more info send me an email. My addy is at the bottom of this window. Thanks!

Mark
Mark Strivings is the owner of the largest all-mentalism mail order supply business in the world, "Mental Connections", carrying materials not available anywhere else. For complete info, drop Mark a line at MarkyApril@aol.com
caigy
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1199 Posts

Profile of caigy
Osterlind's Whispering Die, occasionally used in conjunction with a Becker Coin Purse, left in full view, for the predicted revelation.

Paul Mc.
Exclusive Worldwide Producer and Supplier of the Grismer Lock.

Top Class, Individually Crafted Performance Pieces, For The Discerning Psychological Entertainer

www.psychicmentality.com
gkfreed
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of gkfreed
Entourage. Quick, direct,and for me, way better response than B'wave.

Gary
GalloMagic
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of GalloMagic
MD MINI and Symbol
Dr. Stevens
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of Dr. Stevens
I found a very simple effect by George Schindler that I absolutely love doing. It is the easiest and most straight forward mental effect but it plays so well. I tear off the covers of two match books and hand one to a spectator with the instructions to draw a large Tic Tac Toe board on it. I take the pencil and do the same but I also write a prediction on mine as well. I ask the spectator to select either circle or cross and to draw it into two joining spots leaving the third in a row empty.
When the two are compared I have predicted the opposite symbol as well as the spot that blocks them from winning.
As simple as the effect it is people love it.
The Baldini
View Profile
Inner circle
I some how pounded in
2445 Posts

Profile of The Baldini
Sophiamartin.
I too would love to see more of your effect with numbers and magic square. It sounds great.
TheRealMagicMike
View Profile
Regular user
Las Vegas, NV
178 Posts

Profile of TheRealMagicMike
In bars, I've recently been using Tony Chris' "The Chosen"... similar to an ID effect, but for me it plays stronger and is a bit more of a "routine"...
magicsachin
View Profile
Regular user
Texas
132 Posts

Profile of magicsachin
Alarmed by Noel Qualter & Ade Gower - An incredible prediction effect that ends with your spectator receiving an impossible souvenir. Smile
Thank You Smile