The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Boxes, tubes & bags :: Dean's Box (22 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
amazing mike
View Profile
New user
Mike Sussman
10 Posts

Profile of amazing mike
I purchased Dean’s box years ago and the instructions came with a video tape format. Does anybody know if there is a dvd or digital version of the instructions and where I can get it?
Cleverpaws
View Profile
Regular user
Northern California
156 Posts

Profile of Cleverpaws
Quote:
On Oct 24, 2016, Killertweety wrote:
I will probably need to 'clean' it a bit, or polish it.
Does anyone know a good quality product I could use for that?

I would suggest a conservators wax such as http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.as......950&ap=1
"Liberon" is another brand that is based in Europe and also renaissance wax are similar waxes.
They key with wax is to use a 0000 (thats 4 aught) steel wool and use a very minimal amount, then buff off with soft cloth before it dries. If it does dry, just apply a bit more.
don't rub too hard or you can remove the finish. The conservators wax will help clean off any grime that is on there too.
You can also use the "white scrubbies" which are pretty fine, but don't work as well.
It really depends on how involved you want to get with it but this is a good first step and can make a big difference.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Feb 13, 2019, amazing mike wrote:
I purchased Dean’s box years ago and the instructions came with a video tape format. Does anybody know if there is a dvd or digital version of the instructions and where I can get it?

There are many places that will transfer your VHS tape to DVD, Just search using Google. I noticed some offering digital, and you get it by downloading or cloud storage.
rosariorose9
View Profile
Inner circle
Kreskin guessed that I had
1159 Posts

Profile of rosariorose9
After years of use, the ropes for my box are pretty thread bare. Can anyone suggest a good source for replacing them? Thanks very much.
rosariorose9
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of rosariorose9
By the way, my local magic shop here in Los Angeles does have 'magicians' rope', but it is too thick to be used with Dean's Box. I would even be willing to dye half of the white rope red if I could find the right rope. Thanks again for any help.
Jafo
View Profile
New user
Orlando, FL
22 Posts

Profile of Jafo
Quote:
On Jan 26, 2021, rosariorose9 wrote:
After years of use, the ropes for my box are pretty thread bare. Can anyone suggest a good source for replacing them? Thanks very much.

Back when AmazeKids still had their own website, I bought some Super Rope from them. They had all kinds of colors and they were the perfect diameter for Dean Box. I just checked and I can't find any on their site. I just sent a message to Danny Orleans to see if they still sell it.
Jafo
View Profile
New user
Orlando, FL
22 Posts

Profile of Jafo
I just heard back that Vanishing and Amaze Kids stopped carrying Super Rope. Danny Orleans says you could try reaching out to the manufacturer: super.rope@yahoo.com
rosariorose9
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of rosariorose9
That's very kind of you, Jafo. I'll give that a try. Thanks!
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
It’s not a “Magician’s Rope” as that has a softer structure and will wear out with repeated use. It is a 1/4” nylon rope. This is the closest I could find that is already dyed. Nylon/polypro would be very hard to dye yourself. They also have a white you can order as well. Good luck!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FT1KH1F/ref......F8&psc=1
Ray Pierce
rosariorose9
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of rosariorose9
Thanks a MILLION, Ray. And you're a fellow Angelino! Just placed an order, thanks to your link. Should arrive in a little over a week, and I'll report back when I receive it. Again, thanks so much. My box still looks great, and new ropes should spruce up the whole thing!
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
Hope they work out! Yes, I spent years working at Hollywood Magic, Dean brought it in when he first came up with it. What an amazing guy and such an honor to have this wonderful piece of magic from him.
Ray Pierce
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
Ray Pierce:

I LOVED going to Hollywood Magic!!!

In a way, it was like going to The Magic Castle..............you never knew who you would see there!
rosariorose9
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of rosariorose9
Quote:
On Jan 29, 2021, Ray Pierce wrote:
Hope they work out! Yes, I spent years working at Hollywood Magic, Dean brought it in when he first came up with it. What an amazing guy and such an honor to have this wonderful piece of magic from him.

My gosh, that brings back great memories! When I was a teenager, my buddy and I would ride our bikes from his home in Venice to Hollywood Magic, and watch them demonstrate effects for the customers who actually had money Smile Was a full day 'trek', but it was worth it. The high point was seeing Harry Blackstone demonstrating a gaffed deck from behind that counter, I even remember my first purchase, a book (and we're talking over fifty years ago) - 'The Colostro Code.' We mastered that, and actually fried a vaudeville magician that my parents knew. What years did you work there, Ray? I remember a guy named 'Kelly' who worked there.
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
I started in ‘77 while Earl was still there. I was there full time for several years then went on the road but would still go back in to work anytime I was in town!
Ray Pierce
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1623 Posts

Profile of JNeal
Kelly (whose name I used to know) worked there before Ray made his appearance.
(I came in some time after Ray on Oct 31, 1977)... and the place was never the same!!
Earl had gone to Magic Corner (at Hollywood and Vine) by the time I arrived... and he came back after Magic Corner closed.
visit me @ JNealShow.com
rosariorose9
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of rosariorose9
Hey Ray and JNeal,

Ray, I actually was there as early as around 1961 (yes, I AM old!!). By 1977 I had already been working (as a lawyer) for a few years, and had little time for my magic - which, by the way, was responsible for my becoming a partner in the law firm more quickly than any associate in the history of the firm...but that's another story.
Smile

JNeal, Kelly was quite a character. We were discussing blindfold acts on one occasion, and I told him that I did Eddie Joseph's version, which did not allow the 'range of motion' of Kuda Bux's approach. Kelly told me that he had assisted Kuda Bux, and that he would sell me his 'secret' for $10!! After more than a little ruminating (that was a lot of money to a kid) I gave him the $10...and ***ed if he wasn't right! I'm not sure whether he actually had ever worked for Kuda Bux (I tend to doubt it), but he sure did know how to do the act!

Thanks again to you both.
rosariorose9
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of rosariorose9
By the way, do either of you remember the little shop that Joe Berg had? I recall that it was up some stairs in a nondescript building in Hollywood, but I may be mistaken.
rosariorose9
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of rosariorose9
Ray,

The ropes arrived today, and they are perfect. Thanks again for the link. I used fabric glue on the ends to keep them from unraveling. The box itself is in great shape, but I'm thinking of replacing the curtains, which have stretched out a bit with age. On the other hand, I'm reluctant to alter the original appearance.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5162 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
rosariorose9
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of rosariorose9
Quote:
On Feb 5, 2021, Wizard of Oz wrote:
These links may help you regarding replacement curtains:

https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......c=654411

https://forums.geniimagazine.com/viewtopic.php?t=48394

Thanks so much for those links. Very, very helpful. I had previously removed the original curtains, and had purchased some spandex cloth to replace them, but haven't done so yet. However, if new original cloth is available, I will try that email address you kindly provided to see if I can get it.

Thank you again.