The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The Card Studio :: What you'd like to see in a magician's deck (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Profile of Terrible Wizard
What features would you like 'built-in' to a deck for use as a magician's tool?

Off the top of my head, I'd plumb for:

1) Great card stock and finish, obviously - for handling
2) An elegant and unsuspicious all over border less back design (to better enable false deals etc)
3) For the back design to be subtlety one way
4) For subtle one way fronts also
5) Standard pip designs for non-court cards
6) Extra large and nicely designed Ace pips; clear and well designed Ace of Spades (but without writing)
7) Updated, but still recognisable, court card imagery
8) Hidden card revelation built into the Queen of Spades imagery
9) Well hidden, but easy reading, back marking on the King of Diamonds

The following extras and gaffs to come as standard with the deck, but with many other gaff cards and trick decks available in the same design:

I) Two superbly illustrated, identical but opposite facing full colour Jokers (great for sandwhich effects)
II) Two indifferent locator cards (one sh**t, one th**k)
III) A double-backer
IV) A Queen of Hearts with alternate coloured back
V) A subtly marked, 3 and a Half of Clubs gaff card (same back)

There are a number of features I'd also like to see in the card case:

A) tougher, thicker card so the box lasts longer; also slightly wider so as to be able to hold a few more than 54 cards
B) a slightly deeper thumb slot and longer top flap (for retaining or drawing out cards from closed box more easily)
C) a built-in card revelation (or two)
D) a hidden mnemonic for a stack
E) if possible, a well disguised index window (this might not be realistic)
F) if possible, a built in shiner utility
G) if possible, a built in 'retention' flap, false section, or device so as better be able to leave card(s) hidden in the case
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Some other ideas:

A prediction card - with space to add in your prediction (like the heretic cards)
Some subtle symbolic additions to the court cards for reading/fortune telling (like Kadar)
Possibly some tarot, zener or psy card style extra cards with the same back, style, finish for mentalism/bizarre routines
Terrible Wizard
View Profile
Inner circle
1973 Posts

Another idea: in the embossed case have a removable poker chip or coin (is this practicable?)
ATL
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of ATL
Why is double-backer obvious, but blank card isn't? I'd prefer to have one blank with normal back, one blank with alternate back(same as alt queen) and one double blank.

Also this might be just me, but for me it's huge plus if you can get blank deck with same back design.

TL;DR: I like blanks..
RDeNatale
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of RDeNatale
I also like traditionally cut decks.
lukkudlek
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of lukkudlek
I think it could be great! Which dealer(s) do you consider releasing this at?
lukkudlek
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of lukkudlek
Oh sorry, I didn't got it right Smile
Zee
View Profile
Regular user
Leonia, NJ
196 Posts

Profile of Zee
My ideal deck is.. not too flashy yet still very different from bikes or any other decks sold in grocery stores(but have to keep it classy). Thin boarder, so fan looks good. Does not get soft after a few hours of torture(Ugh Tally-ho). Has a double back and a blank face and jokers have to have some sort of creature's face(human or animal. Doesn't matter). Oh, it has toi have a seal too. If possible, one duplicate card would be generous haha

And my box has to be as thin as possible because I usually carry no more than 54 cards. I want the box to fit in my clip Smile
JassTan
View Profile
Regular user
Singapore
105 Posts

Profile of JassTan
Smooth edges
Stock is silky for fans also flexible for springing
Best if it can be some what water resistance even water proof.
A traditional design with subtle marking system.

Honestly, If there is a plastic deck can fan like normal bicycle deck, I going stock up a big bunch it.
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Thinner card stock,like the kind in use before WWII when many classic card books were written.
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
mrdude42
View Profile
New user
New York
5 Posts

Profile of mrdude42
I'm working on a deck of my own and these are all really great ideas. Once I have the design down I'll probably post some images for critique Smile
Micheal
View Profile
New user
San Francisco
13 Posts

Profile of Micheal
I would like a deck that have well disguise easily to read marks, smooth finish, easy to spring.
WIth very fancy Ace of spades maybe metallic ink.
Googoomafint11
View Profile
New user
I actually have more than only
28 Posts

Profile of Googoomafint11
How about having the inside of the box printed with a card for a reveal or to 'rub' a card into the box, say using a blank card
Error 404
Code _signature_ not found
Allyc4t
View Profile
New user
NJ
9 Posts

Profile of Allyc4t
Interestingly enough, I actually like subtly custom pips, notably those of Contraband by T11, and Memento Mori by MM
manananmaclir
View Profile
New user
Port Hadlock
60 Posts

Profile of manananmaclir
Terrible, after all these contradictory requests and requirements, do you think you'll actually try to design a deck?
ultrawise
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of ultrawise
You imagination is cool but I doubt anyone who can make this deck. I think it's very difficult job, aha.
ULTRAWISE is one of the leading plastic card manufacturers and card equipment distributors in China. We are committed to providing customers with excellent quality products at very competitive price and quick turnaround.
Alex Day
View Profile
Regular user
155 Posts

Profile of Alex Day
An invisasvencheek.
edhagins
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of edhagins
Has anyone ever made a deck that was cut from both sides so that the edges were pointed. In this manner a push together of two halfs would result in a FARO shuffle?
kardistic
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of kardistic
I never heard anything of that. It depends on the printing company and not sure if is even possible.
docguitarman
View Profile
Special user
Thousand Oaks, California
890 Posts

Profile of docguitarman
I'd like a re-release of New Fan backs with the old style bicycle court cards (used in the 1950's and 60's). It would be released in a red and a blue back.

A double backer is a must.

If you go the USPCC route then a 56 card deck is the economical route. So one more gaff card would be either a red/blue DB in one deck and a blank face in the other.

I'd want these to be very affordable so it would be regular tuck cases and the standard USPCC card stock.

If I had the time I'd try to learn how to create a kickstarter campaign and produce the decks -- but maybe my taste is too limited to attract enough backers!