The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Table hoppers & party strollers :: Double Cross by Mark Southworth (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Head Case
View Profile
Inner circle
1138 Posts

Profile of Head Case
I just stumbled across this... Seems pretty neat. Curious who has used it and if it is worth the money?

I get the basic principle. So I'm curious, How long does the sharpie last? (As in, before you can no longer use it), Do you just buy (make?) refills for it?

If you can purchase it, and maintain it, and use it for years. This might be an item for me. Just seems like there might be a little more too it that would make it a little less practical than its leading on. Im curious if that's the case or not.

If you own it and wouldn't mind giving your input, I would appreciate it.

Feel free to PM me to go into it in further detail than we could on here.
Head Case
View Profile
Inner circle
1138 Posts

Profile of Head Case
I know there is also the SansMinds sharpie, where you can make X's or a heart or symbol jump around between a spectator and you, or objects...

Id like to know what the difference is between this one and that one?

Are there any other "jumping ink X" routines out that that may be more practical for real world conditions?

I have never messed with anything like this before so if someone that knows a lot about these type of effects can give me the rundown, that would be a huge help. This idea of drawing an X and having it jump off and on skin really peaks my interest.
Taterini
View Profile
Special user
604 Posts

Profile of Taterini
I sent you a PM regarding this.
crg123
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of crg123
Hi, Can you pls. PM me too the same info. Please, I have the same questions. Thanks.
Taterini
View Profile
Special user
604 Posts

Profile of Taterini
Crg123, PM sent regarding this thread.
funboy247
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of funboy247
I'm also very interested in the difference between Double Cross and the Sand Minds Sharpie. Seems to be the same
RedHatMagic
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
239 Posts

Profile of RedHatMagic
There is a thread on this I believe under latest and greatest
Let the Entertainment Commence!
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
as seen in Ripley's Believe It or Not! Twice!
2413 Posts

Profile of Jamie D. Grant
I just picked this up and am loving it! I haven't used it at a gig yet, though, and am wondering how people will feel having the X on their hand at a high-class party. I haven't decided yet.
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
Kindness takes practice. My TEDx talk
eddie2m
View Profile
New user
99 Posts

Profile of eddie2m
At first they might not want the x on their hands but after you do the trick they don't mind it's on them. I say I'm going to draw an x on my hand don't worry. Then people come up to me saying put the x on me now it's funny.
tommyellison
View Profile
Regular user
159 Posts

Profile of tommyellison
I'm envisioning using this with a Turbo-stick and having the last X vanish and appear on the spectator's hand. Still working on the process and the patter.

Any one want to jam on this idea? Maybe in the Banquet Hall?

Tommy
Head Case
View Profile
Inner circle
1138 Posts

Profile of Head Case
To sort of bring this back up... Someone mentioned a while ago that you can order these from a certain site for like 35 bux. Anyone know who has a good price on this? Seems like penguin is selling it for 60. That's a little steep for me, for this.

Let me know here on in a pm, please. I'd like to order one this weekend.
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1999 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
If you can get it new for that price then you should definitely jump on that deal. I don't see it anywhere online for that amount. You may want to try a WTB post in the Let's make a deal section. I bought mine from there for $35 price you are looking for.

Quote:
On Jan 9, 2016, Head Case wrote:
To sort of bring this back up... Someone mentioned a while ago that you can order these from a certain site for like 35 bux. Anyone know who has a good price on this? Seems like penguin is selling it for 60. That's a little steep for me, for this.

Let me know here on in a pm, please. I'd like to order one this weekend.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1999 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
Here you go, $35 for the trick if the deal is legit...

http://madhattermagicshop.com/magicshop/......id=13756
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
Uncle Joe
View Profile
Regular user
Japan
194 Posts

Profile of Uncle Joe
Quote:
On Nov 24, 2015, tommyellison wrote:
I'm envisioning using this with a Turbo-stick and having the last X vanish and appear on the spectator's hand. Still working on the process and the patter.

Any one want to jam on this idea? Maybe in the Banquet Hall?

Tommy

Good idea. I'm thinking about combining this with an ESP effect.
Perhaps a way to present a revelation of the + card.
magicmarc
View Profile
New user
NYC
30 Posts

Profile of magicmarc
Hello all magicians!
ive got a question, maybe y'all can assist.

hi, I use double cross, alot... and I'm having a heck of a time replacing the invisible ink cartridge... as I followed the instructions, bought a few refills from magicsmith, but still having issues with the 'dried out tip, not getting the (refill cartridge) ink.

when replacing, I used the end with the hole in it...for the marker tip to be inserted... as well I can squeeze it a bit, and see that some ink..it comes out of cartridge, but when I stick the marker tip in, it doesn't get the ink to the point...
ideas? was wondering if y'all had any good ideas/methods for this process...

also if theres any way to obtain 'cheaper' refill ink cartridges? (is there anything special about these invisible ink (dry erase) maker cartridges...

Thanks
mm
Nash
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong ~ USA
1102 Posts

Profile of Nash
Love it and I hate it.

Love it because it is the strongest and most memorable piece of magic you can EVER do in the HISTORY of walk around magic
Hate it because it unfairly evens out the playing field for close up magicians in the eyes of our clients
I teach leaders the magic of curiosity and empathetic communication. keynote Speaker | Seattle magician
Red Shadow
View Profile
Inner circle
1788 Posts

Profile of Red Shadow
Nice effect, but not as earth shattering as I wanted. I could never do it as I do lots of corporate gigs where the guests did not want marking with permanent ink. If the ink rubbed off onto their shirt or jacket, that was my wages gone replacing it.
Also, I'm not a touchy-feely person and it felt un-hygenic touching them. You never know where there hands have been and if they ever wash them.

I also did the math in my head in regards to how much ink was used during each performance, versus the price of replacing. It was going to cost me far too much to perform this trick over and over again before one of the cartridges ran out.

But worst of all was the stamp end. It was always getting dirty and staining my pockets. Yes, I know about carrying an extra sharpie lid on the end to keep it covered. But my thumb holding the little bit would always get scruffy and leave me a mess for the next table.
peppermeat2000
View Profile
Elite user
428 Posts

Profile of peppermeat2000
I agree with ku7uk3...I was really excited to get this. Upon receiving it and giving it a few test runs, I am now offering it for sale.
How
View Profile
Regular user
NJ
102 Posts

Profile of How
Great effect, always nervous it won’t stick to finger tip.
How
View Profile
Regular user
NJ
102 Posts

Profile of How
Quote:
On Sep 3, 2015, Head Case wrote:
I just stumbled across this... Seems pretty neat. Curious who has used it and if it is worth the money?

I get the basic principle. So I'm curious, How long does the sharpie last? (As in, before you can no longer use it), Do you just buy (make?) refills for it?

If you can purchase it, and maintain it, and use it for years. This might be an item for me. Just seems like there might be a little more too it that would make it a little less practical than its leading on. Im curious if that's the case or not.

If you own it and wouldn't mind giving your input, I would appreciate it.

The reactions you get are awesome. I think it is very strong and worth the money for reactions alone.

Feel free to PM me to go into it in further detail than we could on here.