The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Puzzle me this... :: Elverson Puzzle (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1682 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
I don't work for Elverson and I do not know anybody in this company

Through the forum I learned about Elverson Log Stacker a wooden log puzzle that looked very nice. While in the web I browse the other offers and I finally bought RGB Round up and Sudoku royale a sudoku that uses chips instead of numbers plus the Log Stacker.

I just got the package, excellent quality on each of the items, super fast shipping and excellent service, if you like puzzles I recommend this company, great stuff all around (this is why I put my first comment above, my post reads as free advertising...)

pablo
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3521 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Log Stacker is a great puzzle. People get really engrossed in it and work on it for a long time.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
slowkneenuh
View Profile
Regular user
After 5,278+ posts, only credited with
133 Posts

Profile of slowkneenuh
I agree with Magic Mike, It is one of the many types of puzzles I leave at the bar while doing my walk around magic in a restaurant. Although I haven't done it yet, it could be left at a table that prefers puzzles over magic.
John

"A poor workman always blames his tools"
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3521 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
The one problem with log stacker is that the logs tend to roll off the table. You have to count them whenever you put the puzzle out and make sure there are 13 and count them again when you pick up the puzzle (unless it is solved).

Years ago I emailed the maker and suggested the logs be made with a hexagonal cross section so they wouldn't roll. I actually got the guy in charge but he said it would be impractical and risky to make that kind of change to an already successful puzzle.

However he did send me a log stacker with his own modification to solve my problem. He had added a small nail with a rounded head to the side of each log. It didn't interfere with the solution but prevented rolling!

It was brilliant and really did make a difference. However one night a group of chinese speaking folk were working on the puzzle when we were suddenly interrupted by a presentation in the restaurant. I live in a college town where football is king and the University coach was taking questions.

The chinese gentlemen saw me collecting my puzzles from around the room and seemed very disappointed when I came by their table. I used gestures and a few words to indicate they could keep working on the puzzle and I would get it later. The man I was talking too seemed delighted and repeated the word "keep" with surprise and gratitude.

Later when things quieted down I went back but the chinese group had left...with my puzzle. I thought back on how surprised and delighted he was at the word "Keep" and realized he had misunderstood my intention. It was a funny kind of good feeling. I had been accidently generous.

I had another Log Stacker at home but I never did add the brads to it. I wasn't able to find any small enough at the hardware stores. I now realize that I can probably find them on the internet but I have to do some measurements and order the right size.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
georget
View Profile
New user
Amish Country, Elverson PA
6 Posts

Profile of georget
Hi Magic Mike. I know this is an old post but I just found it. I remember tapping in those little nails in your custom Log Stacker Puzzle so the logs would not roll off the table! I'm glad it helped solve the problem but sorry to hear it was accidentally "gifted" LOL. That's a great story.

Thank you Pabloinus & Slowkneenuh for the kind words about our puzzles.

All the best,
George TerBush
Elverson Puzzle
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3521 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Oh wow. Thank You again! It was very nice of you to modify the puzzle for me. I can't believe you happened on my story.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge