The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Shuffled not Stirred :: In Praise of the Ungimmicked ID (31 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
lcwright1964
View Profile
Special user
Toronto
569 Posts

Profile of lcwright1964
Quote:
On Aug 2, 2015, dj wrote:
I have ID version with a normal deck of cards .
No memorized deck .
You can perform the routine impromptu.

I have a demo video only in german language.
I hope it's still good to see what happens in the routine .

What happens in the routine?

A spectator names a card and this is the only face down card in the deck.
The spectator turn over this card. This is his card .

OK.
In the video is to see how the routine looks .

I had no audience in the demo video .
That's why I used a red deck of cards.
In the video I cut red deck of cards (this is not card force in video) and that is the card would the spectator names.

Here is the Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQPz7aigLSU&feature=youtu.be

There are three possible handlings .
In the video I show one of this three possible handlings.

Jan Forster posted me his idea for this routine, another different handling.
Jan, I do not know if you still remember it?

Wow!

Thank you for that. I must confess I have no clue...

Les
sgtgrey
View Profile
Special user
Austin, TX
839 Posts

Profile of sgtgrey
Nice - although the mechanics are different, it reminds me a bit of the Paul Harris invisible card from Art of Astonishment. I wouldn't call it strictly impromptu, but close enough. However, the discrepant move doesn't feel right to me, which is one thing I love about the Memorized deck version. The other advantage of the stack is the economy of motion since you know the card's location. Still, not a bad idea in a pinch. Thanks for sharing!
lcwright1964
View Profile
Special user
Toronto
569 Posts

Profile of lcwright1964
Quote:
On Aug 2, 2015, sgtgrey wrote:
Nice - although the mechanics are different, it reminds me a bit of the Paul Harris invisible card from Art of Astonishment. I wouldn't call it strictly impromptu, but close enough. However, the discrepant move doesn't feel right to me, which is one thing I love about the Memorized deck version. The other advantage of the stack is the economy of motion since you know the card's location. Still, not a bad idea in a pinch. Thanks for sharing!

I have to watch a bit more closely to catch the discrepancy.

Just looked up the Invisible Rising Card, and it is similar to my favourite Invisible Card in Aronson's Try the Impossible. with the latter using the open index to make locating and controlling the selection easy.

Les
Chad Collyer
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of Chad Collyer
Has anyone tried the Ultra Mentally Challenged version in Eric Richardson's Tour? I read it last night and did some practice. Seems like a winner!
sgtgrey
View Profile
Special user
Austin, TX
839 Posts

Profile of sgtgrey
It certainly is interesting, but I use Mnemonica, so I've stuck with the Close version. I've thought about trying to find a way to adapt that one into Mnemonica, but haven't had time to do so.
Jay Elf
View Profile
Elite user
466 Posts

Profile of Jay Elf
Quote:
On Aug 2, 2015, dj wrote:
Here is the Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQPz7aigLSU&feature=youtu.be
dj

Very good!!!

@Jay@
lcwright1964
View Profile
Special user
Toronto
569 Posts

Profile of lcwright1964
Quote:
On Aug 3, 2015, Chad Collyer wrote:
Has anyone tried the Ultra Mentally Challenged version in Eric Richardson's Tour? I read it last night and did some practice. Seems like a winner!

I purchased Tour ages ago and never looked that closely at it, being a Mnemonica guy. Ultra Mentally Challenged, on first read, seems to be amazing indeed. Alas, it counts on the Aronson stack to obscure certain discrepancies. I can see adapting it Mnemonica easily, while losing that advantage. I will study it more closely, but the Close effect, with or without the Steve Keyl face-down variation, seems more fit for me for now.

Les
lcwright1964
View Profile
Special user
Toronto
569 Posts

Profile of lcwright1964
Quote:
On Aug 3, 2015, lcwright1964 wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 3, 2015, Chad Collyer wrote:

I purchased Tour ages ago and never looked that closely at it, being a Mnemonica guy. Ultra Mentally Challenged, on first read, seems to be amazing indeed. Alas, it counts on the Aronson stack to obscure certain discrepancies. I can see adapting it Mnemonica easily, while losing that advantage. I will study it more closely, but the Close effect, with or without the Steve Keyl face-down variation, seems more fit for me for now.

I would also respectfully suggest that Steve's variant differs enough from the Close original as to be a different and very commercial effect, so I for one am thankful that he shares it with us gratis Smile
lcwright1964
View Profile
Special user
Toronto
569 Posts

Profile of lcwright1964
Quote:
On Aug 3, 2015, lcwright1964 wrote:

I purchased Tour ages ago and never looked that closely at it, being a Mnemonica guy. Ultra Mentally Challenged, on first read, seems to be amazing indeed. Alas, it counts on the Aronson stack to obscure certain discrepancies. I can see adapting it Mnemonica easily, while losing that advantage. I will study it more closely...

I have pondered this over the past few hours and I do think it can be done readily with Mnemonica provided that one doesn't mind dislocating a couple of cards from their original spots to provide the required discrepancy cover. (Indeed, this is no hardship--many of the stack-dependent effects in Mnemonica require dislocations and subsequent restorations of the stack, and Tamariz describes several ways to achieve this when it comes up.)

I love the Tyler Wilson/Eric Richardson effect so far because the "move" is diabolical and happens in plain sight (!!!). The drawback is that the deck doesn't end up "clean" and the revelation is done in the performer's hands. The deck cannot be handed to the spectator or freely spread on a table lest a certain something is flashed. With the Close/Keyl version, a clean deck can be presented to the spectator once the move is done (even though, in my hands, that move is a little tougher).

Les
lcwright1964
View Profile
Special user
Toronto
569 Posts

Profile of lcwright1964
For Mnemonica users I think I have come up with an adaptation of the Wilson/Richardson Ultra Mentally Challenged that provides suitable cover for the discrepancy without major disruption to the stack or huge deviation from the original Aronson-stack-dependent version. PM me if interested.

Les

P.S. This offer is intended for people who already own Tour or who otherwise know the original effect. I will just discuss the setup for Mnemonica, and not tip the whole effect. It costs basically peanuts to download Tour, and I think anyone who doesn't know the effect already won't regret splurging a few bucks to support Eric's work, which includes not only this but several other gems that individually are worth more than the cover price.
lcwright1964
View Profile
Special user
Toronto
569 Posts

Profile of lcwright1964
Just wanted to report that I got some queries about my Mnemonica solution to Ultra Mentally Challenged, and it seems to have been well received. I am pleased with it.

I would like to respectfully suggest that the Wilson/Richardson effect presents us with the indetectable and easy Carlyle move, which can be adapted to the original Close effect and leave a deck that may be handed over for the spectator to examine and removed the reversed card. One does not have the advantage of a certain subtlety in the Ultra Mentally Challenged setup, but I really think that if one naturally and deftly executes the Carlyle move on the off beat the muggles will never notice and will believe afterward that they saw the entire deck face up with the single face down card all along... Smile
lcwright1964
View Profile
Special user
Toronto
569 Posts

Profile of lcwright1964
I was delighted to stumble across this in another thread. The ID effect is the first of the set. I could be wrong, but it seems to me that Shoesmith is using the deck setup of the Mike Close version, combined with the Carlyle move of the Tyler/Richardson version. He has some great subtleties, in particular how he conceals the selected card from flashing, and his natural bringing attention to the backs of the cards more than once as perfect cover for the impeccably executed Carlyle move. I would've preferred he have a spectator spread the deck and remove the card, as Close does, but there is an understated and natural quality to this that conveys the illusion that there is no way the deck was in any way altered after removal from the box.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sO6uVTQkWY
jeebs9
View Profile
Regular user
190 Posts

Profile of jeebs9
It's funny I just do a half pass with the selected card. And it always blows people away. But I always try to end with the CF. I like Doug McKenzie style of find the card in his pocket I know it's "not his". I just like how he does it.
sgtgrey
View Profile
Special user
Austin, TX
839 Posts

Profile of sgtgrey
Nice video find! There's some great thinking each step of the way there. More food for thought...
Herr Brian Tabor
View Profile
Special user
Oklahoma City
729 Posts

Profile of Herr Brian Tabor
I prefer Michael Close's ID with a memdeck. It's great that I don't have to carry an extra deck, and if I'm doing memdeck work I can go into it after a few other effects and not have to switch. Messes with those who know how the ID works too Smile
lcwright1964
View Profile
Special user
Toronto
569 Posts

Profile of lcwright1964
Can someone tell what CF stands for, apart from the more famous military meaning? I thought it meant one thing from the context, but I am starting to doubt that now. Please IM with the answer if you don't want to tip it in this non-secret discussion.
The_MetalMaster
View Profile
Veteran user
Indiana
330 Posts

Profile of The_MetalMaster
Clean finish perhaps?
Steven Keyl
View Profile
Inner circle
Washington, D.C.
2630 Posts

Profile of Steven Keyl
Les, I just think jeebs is talking about the classic force phase from the video and how he uses that same idea as his finale.
Steven Keyl - The Human Whisperer!

B2B Magazine Test!

Best impromptu progressive Ace Assembly ever!

"If you ever find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause, and reflect." --Mark Twain
lcwright1964
View Profile
Special user
Toronto
569 Posts

Profile of lcwright1964
Quote:
On Aug 15, 2015, Steven Keyl wrote:
Les, I just think jeebs is talking about the classic force phase from the video and how he uses that same idea as his finale.

Well, duh... I did watch the whole routine too Smile
jeebs9
View Profile
Regular user
190 Posts

Profile of jeebs9
Quote:
On Aug 15, 2015, Steven Keyl wrote:

Exactly..... It usually hits really hard. Harder then most of the other phases in my opinion.

I also do a phase where I magician fail a few times. Starting with a DL. And then asking them to either touch another card or put the card half way into the deck (whole still holding it). And then failing a few times. And then rifling the deck at them. And revealing that the card "jumped" into their hands. That's usually how I start. Kind of borrow from Green Lennart routine of fumbling the cards around or acting drunk. Hits hard!