The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The Big and the Small :: Any good ways to switch a Jumbo gaffed deck to a Jumbo regular... for stage or small platform?? (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
DougRoy
View Profile
Regular user
149 Posts

Profile of DougRoy
Have created what I believe will be a KILLER routine using a Mirage deck... but need a way to switch to a regular Jumbo deck. Looking for ideas. Smile
Will be glad to send my effect/routine via direct message to those who provide input.. ideas.. suggestions.
Thank you in advance!
"Bringing magic to life."

www.DougRoyMagic.com
DougRoy
View Profile
Regular user
149 Posts

Profile of DougRoy
Additional details:

Ideally, I would leave the platform and go into the audience to force a card (directly and close-up) among 3 or 4 audience members.. and THEN, after a quick switch... hand the NORMAL deck Jumbo to a witness to confirm everything's 'fair'.

Also... since most of it takes place "close-up" among the audience... would like to get input as to whether a Jumbo deck is really necessary. Perhaps a regular size would still work fine?

Your thoughts? Smile

www.DougRoyMagic.com
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3209 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
The advantage of using a jumbo deck is that it adds one more level of "fairness" to the force, in that the spectators believe you could not do sleight of hand with such a large deck of cards. The question is, do you really need the "crutch" of using a Mirage Deck to force a jumbo card, or can you learn to force a jumbo card as easily as you force from a normal "regular" deck of cards? If you can learn this, you don't need a deck switch at all (although there are many ways of accomplishing a jumbo deck switch if you absolutely MUST use a trick deck).
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3876 Posts

Profile of Julie
If you can locate the "Jumbo" decks in the Dollar Store, these are double the size of a regular poker deck, you will find you can perform most regular size card handlings easily with these AND you'll have the perceived advantage of Jumbo Cards without the awkwardness in handling.

Because of the ebb and flow of merchandise in Dollar Stores you will need to check availability from time to time and stock-up when these appear on the shelves.

Julie
DougRoy
View Profile
Regular user
149 Posts

Profile of DougRoy
Thanks Julie and Jim for your input! Shortly, I will send you the routine via private message... which will help you understand my need to use a Mirage Deck. Smile

www.DougRoyMagic.com
james1a
View Profile
Loyal user
209 Posts

Profile of james1a
Bob Harbin had a jumbo pack switch, published in Abra, it should be in Harbincadabra, of which I do not have a copy.
James1a
JNeal
View Profile
Inner circle
I used to have 999 posts, now I have
1623 Posts

Profile of JNeal
I think the Bob Harbin switch is included in at least one of his routines featured in the recent Shaxon book.

Also look in The Fine Art of Magic by Kaplan as I believe there is one there too...I think it was in his jumbo rising cards...but check it out anyway.

J.Neal
visit me @ JNealShow.com
Graphicwit
View Profile
New user
New York, NY
6 Posts

Profile of Graphicwit
I’d love to know what you come up with. Jumbo decks are often so clumsily handled, but I believe they have a lot of potential.
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
I have used and have seen many similar switches of a jumbo deck by using the same principal when I switched a normal deck for tossed out deck,

when wrapping 1 of 2 or more rubber bands around the deck 1 of the bands was already split so I pick it up on the join and as I stretch it the band appears to break, looking around as I now need a new band, so using 1 hand I reach into my case the face card facing the audience, I drop deck 1 grab deck 2 that has the same face card and rubber band 1 in same position and pull it out facing the audience also holding a new rubber band in the same hand as the cards.

works so well and takes about a second to reach in with 1 deck pull the hand straight back out with apparently same deck and a large rubber band in your fingers of same hand...never had a problem. Practice this and it becomes second nature and the speed of the action is very convincing.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I use a jumbo deck for my card rise routine. During this routine, I must force three cards on three different spectators. I do this with the spectators on stage. It is actually easier to force a jumbo card under these conditions than it is to force a regular card on a single spectator. There is a psychological factor here. Part of it is in the way that you word the selection of the card.

Hint -- If you have the "Willard the Wizard" book, it's in there.

I have posted the card force in the Secret Sessions.
https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......forum=37
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Ampa
View Profile
New user
A Cellar Vault in Berlin
63 Posts

Profile of Ampa
If you interact with the audience and then return to the stage or turn around, you can use that moment to put the prop into the "Topit" and produce something else. In many cases this works just fine I guess Smile