The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Lights...camera...action! :: What video editor do you use? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Critisizer
View Profile
New user
47 Posts

Profile of Critisizer
What video editor do you use to create professional looking videos?
Dream house of any wizard: Wizard's Dream House
petethegrate
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of petethegrate
As a video producer (semi-pro) I can say that whatever video editing programme you use makes very little difference to your final product. The cheapest will give you all the basics you require whilst the most expnsive will be so complex that it's doubtful if you will ver learn it full potential. Here in the UK many use a programme called Pinnacle Studio. I think the latest version is No. 18. There are many others and each person will swear by they product they use successfully. It's not the cheapest but a well establised one handling HD projects.
Don't forget that to edit HD projects your computer must have adequate specifications.

My personal editing programme is Premiere CS6 but sadly this costs quite a lot of money.
Discuss further if you wish.
MikeDes
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal
1174 Posts

Profile of MikeDes
I use Asoff Showbiz. Does the job relatively easily.
Critisizer
View Profile
New user
47 Posts

Profile of Critisizer
Thank you both
petethegrate
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of petethegrate
Hi Critisizer. Further to my earlier comments. We don't know what sort of video production you are planning but clearly you must start off with some good camera footage. There is an old saying that 'You can't make a silk purse from a sows ear'. Correct, but some good editing can make a reasonable result from less than perfect original footage. Once you have learnt the basics of the editing programme you eventually get, 'professional' results will very much depend on your creative eye for a good story and picture. Once you have your chosen programme then stick with it and learn the basics. Don't fall into the trap of thinking that Programme 'B' will give you much better results that your existing Programme 'A'. There will be plenty of folk who will tell you that their chosen programme is much better than yours, but stick with your chosen programme and learn it well and this will take some time.

Stear clear of using too many fancy special effects and transitionions. They may look clever but too many can be very distracting for your audience.

Dare we ask exactly what you are planning?

All the best. Pete.
petethegrate
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of petethegrate
I forgot to mention (although you may actually be aware of this) If you have an Apple Mac then you should have imovie already installed and if you have a PC, then Windows Movie Maker might already be on the machine - otherwise it can be downloaded free. Either of these programmes will do very well for even more than basic needs. Pete.
Critisizer
View Profile
New user
47 Posts

Profile of Critisizer
Thank you
is windows movie maker good enough as an editor?
also is iphone 5 good to take videos with?
petethegrate
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of petethegrate
Hi Critisizer,
If you are just starting with video and editing (I assume you are) then Windows Movie Maker is a perfectly adequate editor to create very good videos. Remember that the quality of the finished video picture is dependant on your original footage, NOT on the editing programme. Also it's FREE so if you find that video editing is not for you then you have lost nothing. If, on the other hand, you feel that video is just for you, then of course you can invest in a more advanced programme.

Now your next question about the use of your iphone makes me assume that you are just starting out???? Whilst iphones are capable of producing great results, in my humble opinion (and many others) they are not ideal if you plan on creating good pro results. I realise that many will disagree with me, but those that do much video will appreciate what I say.

I'm sure in your local photo stores there are many basic video cameras at quite low prices. They all do High Def. these days. One of the distinct advantages of standard video cameras is that they have a viewing screen that can be adjusted to various angles for ease of viewing (Try that on an iphone!!!). Well known makers like Panasonic and Sony are very good choices.

I hope you will note that I not trying to get you to spend big money, in fact quite the opposite. You don't have to spend BIG money to make an adequate start. You haven't answered my question about what sort of videos you are planning. Please do tell.

Cheers. Pete.
Critisizer
View Profile
New user
47 Posts

Profile of Critisizer
Quote:
On Mar 4, 2015, petethegrate wrote:
Hi Critisizer,
If you are just starting with video and editing (I assume you are) then Windows Movie Maker is a perfectly adequate editor to create very good videos. Remember that the quality of the finished video picture is dependant on your original footage, NOT on the editing programme. Also it's FREE so if you find that video editing is not for you then you have lost nothing. If, on the other hand, you feel that video is just for you, then of course you can invest in a more advanced programme.

Now your next question about the use of your iphone makes me assume that you are just starting out???? Whilst iphones are capable of producing great results, in my humble opinion (and many others) they are not ideal if you plan on creating good pro results. I realise that many will disagree with me, but those that do much video will appreciate what I say.

I'm sure in your local photo stores there are many basic video cameras at quite low prices. They all do High Def. these days. One of the distinct advantages of standard video cameras is that they have a viewing screen that can be adjusted to various angles for ease of viewing (Try that on an iphone!!!). Well known makers like Panasonic and Sony are very good choices.

I hope you will note that I not trying to get you to spend big money, in fact quite the opposite. You don't have to spend BIG money to make an adequate start. You haven't answered my question about what sort of videos you are planning. Please do tell.

Cheers. Pete.

Thank you
Im planning to start a review channel on youtube
petethegrate
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of petethegrate
What subject matter etc. are you planning to review on your You Tube venture?

I have about 160 videos of various subjects on You Tube. Generally those I make on magic are unlisted so cannot be seen by casual viewers only those I give the links to.

Might be a good idea to send me PMs as the subject is getting a little involved. Pete.
Critisizer
View Profile
New user
47 Posts

Profile of Critisizer
I'm mostly interested in mentalism stuff
Zlwin Chew
View Profile
Elite user
Malaysian Magician with
437 Posts

Profile of Zlwin Chew
To all magicians who are beginning to explore video editing and happen to own a MacBook or have enough money to buy a cheap MacBook, you can use iMovie for your videos. It is probably the easiest program I have used so far for the past 7 years and I am now learning After Effects.
guyjr
View Profile
New user
Don't mind me and my
57 Posts

Profile of guyjr
IMovie is definitely a good start for Mac users. I've been contemplating making some demonstration videos of some of the collectables I have, and have realized after spending time playing with my cameras this past weekend, filming the kids sledding, that when you get a lot of footage, you need a way to organize it. I'm somewhat torn now on what to do... just stick with the basic iMovie, which has served me well in the past, or up the ante to Final Cut Pro X? Just another aspect to consider when choosing an app.
Ihop
View Profile
Inner circle
Glen Spey, NY
1604 Posts

Profile of Ihop
I've used Adobe Premier Pro for over 5 years.
The latest version I used was CS5 and then I got a Mac 2 years ago and switched over to Final Cut Pro.
It wasn't an instant changeover. I had to continue my editing as I was making the transition, so I was using both for about 3 months. Now I only use FCP.
They both have their pros and cons.
As was mentioned, good camera work and audio is important. There are so many aspects: lighting, background noise, bad acting, scripting, etc.
But with good editing, you can make lemonade out of lemons.
For beginners, IMovie or Movie Maker is a good start. If all you will be doing is occasional editing, then that's all you may need.
Ihor
tvmikek
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of tvmikek
I totally agree with Ihop. I use Adobe Premiere for all of my work, but even the best editing software won't fix footage that is poorly shot and lit. If you have that part taken care of, even the cheapest edit software will help you make a great video.
PHSIS
View Profile
Veteran user
Kailua-Kona HI
385 Posts

Profile of PHSIS
Hi all. Paul Harris Presents is always on the look out for talented magic demo editors. Someone who can take our footage and create a stylish commercial quality magic trailer. If you're interested please contact our production manager Bro Gilbert: bro@paulharrispresents.com (please send samples of your work).

Many thanks
Janet Harris
wizardmagic
View Profile
New user
Arizona
32 Posts

Profile of wizardmagic
Quote:
On Mar 2, 2015, Critisizer wrote:
What video editor do you use to create professional looking videos?

I use Filmora and recently started playing around with Davinci Resolve.