The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Not very magical, still... :: Movie errors (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Jack Straw
View Profile
Inner circle
Wichita
1020 Posts

Profile of Jack Straw
No movie in particular, but usually when there is a film about a gold bar heist, they manage to pick up a whole bunch of them very easily.

Just picking up one would take some effort.

I've seen various weights attributed to a standard gold bar. Forty pounds seems to be about right (that's what my stash of 117 bars hidden in my basement weigh). So load 10 of them into a duffel bag, and it would rip the bag apart if you could even possibly pick it up.

"Three Kings" is a movie that comes to mind where they were handling the bars as if they were made out of balsa wood.
Jack Straw from Wichita, cut his buddy down
And dug for him a shallow grave, and laid his body down
Half a mile from Tucson, by the morning light
One man gone and another to go, my old buddy you're moving much too slow
We can share the women, we can share the wine
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1778 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
Whiplash had so many errors, it was excruciating to watch.
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
Poof-Daddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Considering Stopping At Exactly
5313 Posts

Profile of Poof-Daddy
I think I found an error in every Chuck Norris movie I ever saw as a teen (as simple as a knife gliding down a string tied to the bad guy he threw it at). But if you like errors and inaccuracies check out the YouTube channel "Cinema Sins" and their everything wrong with (EWW) vids. they are very funny. (bleeped out some but often NSFW).
Cancer Sux - It is time to find a Cure

Don't spend so much time trying not to die that you forget how to live - H's wife to H on CSI Miami (paraphrased).

Smile Smile
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Quote:
On Mar 7, 2015, Jack Straw wrote:
No movie in particular, but usually when there is a film about a gold bar heist, they manage to pick up a whole bunch of them very easily.
Just picking up one would take some effort.
I've seen various weights attributed to a standard gold bar. Forty pounds seems to be about right (that's what my stash of 117 bars hidden in my basement weigh). So load 10 of them into a duffel bag, and it would rip the bag apart if you could even possibly pick it up.

In one of the original Disney Witch Mountain movies they load the stolen gold bars into the back of a station waggon. The rear tires burst, the rear axle breaks and the car is disabled. I kind of liked seeing the reality of how that theft would have had to have ended.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18065 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Blues brothers had some interesting ones .... Jakes ring keeps appearing and disappearing in the movie....
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Mar 7, 2015, Poof-Daddy wrote:
I think I found an error in every Chuck Norris movie I ever saw as a teen (as simple as a knife gliding down a string tied to the bad guy he threw it at). But if you like errors and inaccuracies check out the YouTube channel "Cinema Sins" and their everything wrong with (EWW) vids. they are very funny. (bleeped out some but often NSFW).

I remember a comedian whose entire act was pointing out the errors in one of Sylvester Stallone's "Rambo" movies such as the fact that Rambo runs through a rice paddy, dodging enemy fire. The comedian, who actually served in Viet Nam points out that not only do rice paddies have thick heavy mud at the bottom and could never be run trough, the enemy fire generally creates a shrapnel field about 6 yards around and could hardly be dodged that easily.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Mar 2, 2015, mastermindreader wrote:
Continuity errors and bloopers aren't the same thing at all as historical inaccuracies. The latter are often intentional.

Wasn't Cheyenne Autumn the famous western in which a jet aircraft can be seen flying over?

I did just see a "historical inaccuracy" mentioned. In "The Longest Day," one of the teams is charged with taking German gun emplacements. When they go through the grueling trip there, they find the gun emplacements have been moved. One of the soldiers says; "You mean we did all that for nothing?" In reality, the gun emplacements WERE there and there was a pitched battle before they were seized, but the studio wanted a reference to the pointlessness of war!
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Mar 5, 2015, ringmaster wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 2, 2015, ringmaster wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 2, 2015, mastermindreader wrote:
Continuity errors and bloopers aren't the same thing at all as historical inaccuracies. The latter are often intentional.

Wasn't Cheyenne Autumn the famous western in which a jet aircraft can be seen flying over?

Is it Rio Bravo or Rio Grange where you can see a UFO go out of control and crash ?

It was Rio Grande. Google is my friend.

I watched the YouTube clip. It's pretty clear that's shot on a soundstage. So what we're PROBABLY seeing is a reflection of a light being moved behind the camera.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Villains explaining their plans to give time for the good guys to save the day is a movie error that keeps repeating itself.
Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3025 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Quote:
On Jan 10, 2024, Pakar Ilusi wrote:
Villains explaining their plans to give time for the good guys to save the day is a movie error that keeps repeating itself.
Smile

As a TV writer, this is one of my biggest pet peeves. The first pilot I ever wrote had a scene where that could have easily happened, so I chose to write myself into a corner and determine how the character would escape it. It took some doing, but it makes me crazy when the leads get all this extra time to figure things out, and in the end it added my favorite moment of the script which lead to the series premise.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Jan 11, 2024, Andrew Zuber wrote:
Quote:
Smile

As a TV writer, this is one of my biggest pet peeves. The first pilot I ever wrote had a scene where that could have easily happened, so I chose to write myself into a corner and determine how the character would escape it. It took some doing, but it makes me crazy when the leads get all this extra time to figure things out, and in the end it added my favorite moment of the script which lead to the series premise.

There's two times that's address and punctured:

In "Dogma," the demon says; "Oh no. I've seen way too many Bond movies to know that you never reveal all the detail of your plan, no matter how close you may think you are to winning."

And in "The Watchmen," RORCSCHACH: You know we can't let you do that! VEIDT: 'Do that,' Rorschach? I'm not a comic book villain. Do you seriously think I would explain my master stroke to you if there were even the slightest possibility you could affect the outcome? I triggered it 35 minutes ago!
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On Jan 17, 2024, ed rhodes wrote:
Quote:
On Jan 11, 2024, Andrew Zuber wrote:
Quote:
Smile

There's two times that's address and punctured:

In "Dogma," the demon says; "Oh no. I've seen way too many Bond movies to know that you never reveal all the detail of your plan, no matter how close you may think you are to winning."

And in "The Watchmen," RORCSCHACH: You know we can't let you do that! VEIDT: 'Do that,' Rorschach? I'm not a comic book villain. Do you seriously think I would explain my master stroke to you if there were even the slightest possibility you could affect the outcome? I triggered it 35 minutes ago!

SEVEN was even better. "What's in the box?!"
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
In the new season of True Detective a character who is obviously not rich affording a huge bottle of pure Vermont Maple syrup in Alaska.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1778 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
In Spielberg’s film The Goonies (which was directed by Richard Donner), there was originally a scene with the kids battling a giant octopus. Even though the contraption cost a fortune to construct, Spielberg cut the entire scene because he felt it didn’t look realistic enough.

However, near the end of the movie when the children are interviewed by the police, one of the kids mentions fighting the octopus. Major oversight!
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3434 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
[quote]On Mar 7, 2015, ed rhodes wrote:

I've never assumed the characters were speaking English. I just assumed they were speaking whatever language they're supposed to speak and it's being translated for us. (The scene in "Red October" where Sean Connery is speaking Russian and the camera pulls to a close up of his mouth and suddenly he's speaking English is probably the strongest example.)

Wasn't Connery but the actor portraying the KGB moral officer.

Cheers! Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5162 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
In going through these posts, I'm wondering if the conversation essentially comes back to magic? Cinema, and theater, are all about make-believe and storytelling. Both of which are based on the "third wall" principle, that invisible partition that allows us, as the audience, to be privy to the events before us. Magic is the same, but the third wall is not really a wall, but more like a veil. The veil encompasses the performer and everything she or he does as it's all part of the illusion of storytelling. If that veil is penetrated by any kind of exposure... the illusion of the story is diminished.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.