The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Pardon me, sir... :: Where to learn the basics (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
TomasKancyper
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of TomasKancyper
Hi i´m new at pickpocketing and I wanna know where can I learn the basics of this, like loading pieces of cards in people´s pocket, or taking out wallet´s from backpockets (for entertainment of course). Thank you
James Harrison
View Profile
Special user
Ontario, Canada
762 Posts

Profile of James Harrison
There are some great books on the subject.

Ricky Dunn's is a great starting point.
magicalexcellence
View Profile
New user
New York, NY
21 Posts

Profile of magicalexcellence
I've read a lot on the subject, and I think Ricki Dunn's book is the best for really getting the mechanics and understanding what is going on. He also gives some great ideas for routines. Once you read that... watch Apollo Robbins on youtube over and over and over again, this will teach you how to move, speak, and act better than a book will.
Peej
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of Peej
Hi. Saw this. I'm also a beginner in magic generally. I'm quite interested in pickpocketing. How do you start?

I can't find any DVDs for sale anywhere here in my country relating to magic.

There are also very little references about magic here (books, DVDs). I solely rely on the internet. Are there any websites that offer tutorials?
MagicSarah
View Profile
Regular user
Kent, United Kingdom
195 Posts

Profile of MagicSarah
Have you looked at James Brown's work?

He has an academy at the moment which I have heard excellent things about. Search for powa academy.

James also does a lot of talks on confidence which I have found apply to magic as much as they do to pickpocketing
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1682 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
You can ride Subways and full buses where people ride standing and look around, you will see a lot of pickpocketing, then you can try yourself, if you success you get some money, if you don't you will end in jail or in the hospital depending on the Country.
Personally pickpoketing is not something that amaze me, I always relate it to poor people loosing their day wage because of some wiseguy in the bus.

The only time that I liked it was when Pop Haydn made it as a magic trick going wrong, where the stealing of the watch is not the center of the act, the apperance of the watch it is.

I am sorry but I came from a country where these guys are plenty, and where people wear backpacks in the front to avoid them
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3695 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Sicorace
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of Sicorace
Ciao Tomas, I'm James Brown's partner, and here you can find our academy: http://www.powa.academy
Faizimran
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of Faizimran
Is there a review on anything from Powa academy yet?
Peej
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of Peej
I constantly watch Apollo Robbins' videos on youtube. In fact, I must say I have may have watched all that associates itself with Apollo Robbins. Are there any websites which offers primary tutorials (hope it's free though) on pickpocketing? Or where do you watch other videos?
Peej
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of Peej
Quote:
On Apr 6, 2016, Peej wrote:
I constantly watch Apollo Robbins' videos on youtube. In fact, I must say I have may have watched all that associates itself with Apollo Robbins. Are there any websites which offers primary tutorials (hope it's free though) on pickpocketing? Or where do you watch other videos?

Also Bob Arno's videos. Smile
spiltrap
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of spiltrap
A great book to start with is The Professional Stage Pickpocket by Ricky Dunn
MagicVeronika
View Profile
New user
Amsterdam
18 Posts

Profile of MagicVeronika
Quote:
On Mar 19, 2016, Faizimran wrote:
Is there a review on anything from Powa academy yet?

I'm also waiting for the reviews.
So far been just put pocketing playing card in friend pocket for my magic routine, works great, can't wait to learn more.
Zerububle
View Profile
Elite user
Poole
430 Posts

Profile of Zerububle
There is 2 full reviews here:

POWA Pickpocketing: http://ningthing.com/review-secrets-pick......academy/
POWA Hypnosis: http://ningthing.com/review-reality-bend......academy/

We have loads of reviews on our site: www.powa.academy PLUS we offer a no question 7 day money back guarantee on our courses... Whats not to like!

James Brown
Adam Hince
View Profile
Special user
Pittsburgh, PA
509 Posts

Profile of Adam Hince
Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but it looks to me based on Ning's review that the Rapid Hypnotic Inductions course, Self Hypnosis package and Cerebral Steal are included with the $297. But when you go to the actual product page, they've been excluded from the $297 package and jacked up to $397 as the Pro version. Am I reading this correctly?

-Adam
Brandon G
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of Brandon G
Jim Ravel's 'Theatrical Pickpocketing' is a pretty good resource.

Then as others have said, watch some of the masters in action to get a feel for the misdirection/desensitization involved.

I haven't read Ricky Dunn's book but I'll have to check it out.

I've also seen it mentioned that Gregory Wilson's 'On the Spot' teaches the basics of a watch steal.

Just watched the 'Easy steal' on powa academy, it was reasonably good, I don't see why it wouldn't work. I'll be trying it out personally.

Disclaimer: I am the most amateur pickpocket I know, I am still working up the guts to do it more often. However I will say that most of the times I have tried I have succeeded, mostly due to studying Ravel's book.