The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Periods & styles of Magic :: The Origins of Pop Haydn's Persona (81 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Stellan
View Profile
Special user
Sweden
580 Posts

Profile of Stellan
😊
"There is no reality, only perception."
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3695 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
?
Stellan
View Profile
Special user
Sweden
580 Posts

Profile of Stellan
😊 = nice examples of magicians creating fantastic characters.
Stellan
View Profile
Special user
Sweden
580 Posts

Profile of Stellan
One could ask oneself why they went through the trouble of creating those characters. The obvious answer would be to draw attention and interest for more business. There is however another more secret reason. In order to understand that you have to ask the question if this in anyway strengthened their magic. The answer is that it most certainly did in some unsuspected ways.
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3695 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3695 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3695 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3695 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3695 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3695 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Stellan
View Profile
Special user
Sweden
580 Posts

Profile of Stellan
🙏
Stellan
View Profile
Special user
Sweden
580 Posts

Profile of Stellan
Don't you think that the different roles of Pop the magician and Pop the merchandiser in some way could be confusing to the audience? The risk being that the role of the magician could be a bit diluted?The merchandiser is doing propaganda for the magnetized water and the magic is no longer the point. It is reduced to to arguments to support selling the water. It is amusing but could be confusing to the audience.
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3695 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
You are right. My magnetized water routine is not a magic trick. It is a character piece. The magic is used as a special effect. I also do the Amazing Miracle Oil pitch in the show. The Shell Game is not a magic trick.

But the Teleportation Device, Tesla Girl, Color-Changing Hank, Mongolian Pop-Knot, Four Ring Routine and Torn and Restored Newspaper are all strong magic.

I don't think that "Pop the Merchandiser" and "Pop the Magician" are two different roles. I don't believe the audience has any trouble understanding who Pop is and what he is about. I never explain anything about who Pop is and where he is from. Pop just goes about his business trying to make a living in the 21st Century just like you or I would.
Stellan
View Profile
Special user
Sweden
580 Posts

Profile of Stellan
I also find it interesting that you have a big chunk of background that you keep to yourself. It is almost like a Stanislawski warm up to come into the character and make it more solid. Is that your intention? Do you feel that this works in terms of confidence and authority? Or do you see it another way?
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3695 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
All actors create a backstory for their character. I believe the character can be extended beyond the show, to places where a more complete story would be more appropriate. My websites, social media sites and so on give me an opportunity to enlarge the character and his story much like Blackstone used radio and comic books.

On stage, I am selling medicine and other products, but that gives me a reason to be there. It motivates all the other stuff.

Here is a video from last week:

Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3695 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
DaleTrueman
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
317 Posts

Profile of DaleTrueman
Quote:
On Mar 14, 2015, Stellan wrote:
I also find it interesting that you have a big chunk of background that you keep to yourself. It is almost like a Stanislawski warm up to come into the character and make it more solid. Is that your intention? Do you feel that this works in terms of confidence and authority? Or do you see it another way?

Like in any storytelling I think a back story is very important to any character. Most of it may not come out directly in the story but it informs the narrative by giving substance and motivation to what might otherwise be a directionless persona.

Sorry I know I'm answering a question not asked of me but that's my two cents worth anyway.
DaleTrueman
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia
317 Posts

Profile of DaleTrueman
An example might be Darth Vader.
In the original Star Wars we knew very little of his background. But George Lucas did. This would make it so much easier to write his scenes with his personality, knowing that he was a slave boy who rose the ranks to become the most feared dark Jedi in the galaxy. Knowing his past would inform the way he acted in the present, making the character more fleshed out and real.
Stellan
View Profile
Special user
Sweden
580 Posts

Profile of Stellan
I buy what you say Dale and of course you are very welcome with your thoughts. A backgrund certainly can help in giving the character a direction.

Pop, I hope you will not be offended, but isn't that photo arranged?
ZachDavenport
View Profile
Inner circle
Last time I posted I had one less than
1196 Posts

Profile of ZachDavenport
Not at all. That was just taken before his teleportation to the 21st century.
Reality is a real killjoy.