The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Penny for your thoughts :: A posting guideline :: TOPIC IS LOCKED (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4860 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
While the MagicCafe is a place for Magicians to help Magicians, we welcome mentalists to take part in discussions involving their craft. For this reason, we have two forums specifically for those discussions. This forum, "Penny For Your Thoughts" is for the general discussion of mentalism and mentalism related topics. No methods may be discussed here however. The second forum, "Inner Thoughts" is only available after reaching 50 legitimate posts. It is here that more in depth discussions, which may include methods, can be held. Posts with exposure or leading to exposure will be removed from the Penny forum.
Where the magic begins
Sean Giles
View Profile
Inner circle
Cambridge/ UK
3517 Posts

Profile of Sean Giles
Dave, thank you for posting this. Hopefully it will go some way to avoiding exposure in the searchable 'penny' forum.
Stunninger
View Profile
Inner circle
2843 Posts

Profile of Stunninger
Thank you for clarifying these guidelines. The rules for posting in penny and inner thoughts are hopefully more clear to all now.
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
4192 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
May also be worth mentioning that we also have Mentally Speaking for product reviews although many reviews are best posted in Inner Thoughts.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Harpacrown and Harpacrown Too are available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Thanks Dave...

In this section:
we do not ask how something is done that we've seen
though we do ask for book or dvd references

we do not mention by name techniques and methods
though we do downstairs, in inner thoughts

we introduce ourselves and are open and honest with each other
we talk about mentalism in general terms up here, and more indepth downstairs
we report posts that break the forum rules and posting guidelines
we try to all get along!
I've asked to be banned
Mysteryos
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of Mysteryos
Oh Well,
my topic is locked.
I surely understand these guidelines and want to stick to them (I love the art!), but it's a little bit hard to "reach" 50 Post for the "inner entrance". I have enough knowledge to develop my routines but when I have a question I can't post it cause there is this "50 posts rule" I don't want to post 50 rubbish answers just to go there. I mainly just read posts and when there is something interesting on the Café, I grab an old book, buy a new one and I don't have to post irrelvant things...so how to write 50 posts, when I'm not allowed to Smile
hach, let's see...
C.J.
View Profile
Inner circle
There's a lotta rambling in my
2366 Posts

Profile of C.J.
With respect Mysteryos, I think you're missing the point of this community. If you say you are "have enough knowledge" and "live the art", the surely you'd have opinions and thoughts to share in some of the general topics here in Penny? Asking questions and receiving help is only one part of what members here do. We have plenty of topics where you could share your own perspectives or experiences with someone else, as well as a large number of less serious threads where no deep knowledge is required.

I realise new members don't have a lot of advice or answers to give, but if you're reading Penny a lot, you should have found many places where you could post that aren't affected by your level of experience. Don't be afraid to talk to us. Chances are that the members here won't answer your questions anyway if we haven't learned enough about through your posts. Hanging back and dreaming of hitting 50 posts doesn't help you get there, nor does it let us get to know you.
Connor Jacobs - The Thought Sculptor
Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
Be fondly remembered.
Mysteryos
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of Mysteryos
Hey C.J.
I'm sorry, I didn't want to sound arrogant - english is not my native language and its sometime a little bit hard to write whats on my mind and then I sound rude when I don't want to. That's right, I will search for some topics and try to give some answers or opinions on posts. I really didn't reflect my post above, I was just a little bit upset because my Topic was locked immediately and I only asked for some help on a "Switch" not for exposing methods(maybe a good book or a PM)...

But Yeah you are right, let's see if I could finde some good penny topics Smile

Thx!
loserdlj
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of loserdlj
Thanks Dave
bluejay17!
View Profile
Regular user
DC
120 Posts

Profile of bluejay17!
Quote:
On Feb 20, 2019, adrianrbf wrote:
Is this the reason why the term "billet" should not be used in shows? So that nobody googles it and finds his/her way to threads about billets?

HI, My name is Elisha and I am an aspiring mentalist. I think that most people, at least in my experience, will immediately smell foul when you say the word b****t. If you say, "write someone's name on this b****t", they will ask you what a b****t is, what a b****t does, who created the idea of a b****t, and other difficult questions. When I first read practical mental magic I had to google what a b****t was.
kleqy
View Profile
Regular user
105 Posts

Profile of kleqy
Personally I do not use the term ^billet^,but if I find myself saying that word by accident I quickly point to the piece of paper,this tells them that a billet is a piece of paper and I believe they will never ever ask what a billet is nor google it.Lets be honest here,who would google a piece of paper?
Haruspex
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of Haruspex
Billet probably originates from the French language.
In French it is used for paper money, which in English probably got shortened to bill.

In French billet is used for allot small papers, like train or plain tickets, receipts etc.
But in English its still a perfectly good word, so I would not worry to much on over explaining what you mean when you do happen to mention it.

And lets face it, if someone wants to find out the method to an effect not knowing the "professional jargon" for a slip of paper will not stop them.
Andrew Aspen
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of Andrew Aspen
Thanks Dave
Ever Elizalde
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Ever Elizalde
Bob Cassidy strongly advices against using the word "billet" in front of lay people.

I agree, it's not necessary and it leads to unnecessary confusion. Just say piece of paper Smile
k3nnyma
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of k3nnyma
Thanks Dave
Milo&Tock
View Profile
New user
28 Posts

Profile of Milo&Tock
I like Docc Hilford's reason for not using the term "billet" in performance: people don't call them billets. They just say "piece of paper" Smile Why not call it what your audience member calls it, thereby both speaking their language and keeping a technical term out of their reach Smile
bubc
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of bubc
Thank you for clarifying.