The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: APPearing Soon... :: City Prediction by SOMA (31 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
rasp
View Profile
Inner circle
1122 Posts

Profile of rasp
I think the first use of google maps (that I know of) was incorporated into 'HandzOff' by Salah Aazadine.

Brilliant app but unfortunately no longer available at the present time.
GordonTheHypnotist
View Profile
Elite user
Don't Read This Sign
495 Posts

Profile of GordonTheHypnotist
Quote:
On Nov 4, 2014, rasp wrote:
I think the first use of google maps (that I know of) was incorporated into 'HandzOff' by Salah Aazadine.

Brilliant app but unfortunately no longer available at the present time.

Oh you are right, Rasp I completely forgot about that one. My apologies to Myke and Salah. My point is still valid there are plenty of apps that use this methodology and they are presented on a spectators phone.
Gullibility is an attractive quality in people
DynaMix
View Profile
Inner circle
1146 Posts

Profile of DynaMix
Quote:
On Nov 3, 2014, gyorkop wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 2, 2014, DynaMix wrote:
I've absolutely slayed with this the past few days by integrating with "hotel" and allowing for ample time misdirection. Just nutty reactions! LOVE this app!

I'm glad to hear you liked our app and also tried to make it even stronger with this "hotel" integration. Could you please tell us more about the actual effect you came up with?

gyorkop

Hey I'll do my best - I'm not so great at writing up my ideas because they are layered with lots of "parts" and other routines, I also make use of time misdirection with almost everything I do, which (as you all know) is hard to translate into a description... But here goes:

I start by asking the spec to load maps on their phone... I casually say let me look up something and do the dirty work. I place it face down as if I've learned something and explain that we'll come back to that later if I feel I'm up to it. I then hand them the prediction from "hotel" and ask them to put it somewhere I can't touch it.
I explain how my father had to travel most of my childhood and how I'd keep myself busy by trying to learn magic to show him when he got back. He'd travel all over the world and always bring back interesting things for me to play with (all true btw)... Prior to 9/11 you were allowed to go up to the cockpit and ask talk to pilots - he'd in fact get them to sign this log book - a record of every flight he'd ever taken. (True). He also collected business cards from all of the hotels he'd stay at, if he liked the service etc.
I go through phase 1 of hotel and when it's time for the revelation I ask them one question that seems important - of every city in the world, which city would you say has the BEST hotel you've ever stayed at? Spec answers. I act as if that gives me some insight into which of the hotel cards they selected. I look for ANY connection I can.
I then read their mind and name the hotel.
I compliment their choice and then casually Google the hotel and look at my phone saying "ah yes, beautiful hotel" - this is where I do the dirty work, actually googling their names city from earlier.
I then do phase 2 of hotel - which ends with their "freely selected" hotel being predicted in advance via the room key they were holding the entire time. Climax 2
While their mind is still spinning from thst I verh casually ask them - what was the city you said earlier that has your favorite hotel in the world?

They turn over their phone.
I performed this once casually and once at a paid gig this past weekend in Chicago. Reactions were OFF THE CHART. The ending phase is so strong it almost negates the hotel routine itself. It's all people remember.

So, in summary the effect from the spec's POV is as follows:
1. They open maps on their phone. I look something up, place it face down and hand them a sealed prediction.
2. They think of a hotel among my 30 business cards.
3. They give me a clue as to how they think by casually naming a city in the world that had their favorite hotel.
4. I name the hotel they are thinking of.
5. They then deal blind to a new hotel.
6. It matches room key from the beginning.
7. Bringing it full circle, they then turn over their phone. It has that named city loaded on it.

This was just the first thing I could come up with. It's by no means special or advanced thinking. But judging by the reactions I KNOW it plays as strong as anything else I've done.
rasp
View Profile
Inner circle
1122 Posts

Profile of rasp
That sounds really nice
Greg Rostami
View Profile
V.I.P.
Skynet will become self-aware in
2871 Posts

Profile of Greg Rostami
Gordon told me about City Prediction.

WOW, what a CLEVER and organic use of iOS maps!!

Congratulations to gyorkop and Soma.

This is such a powerful concept, that you can charge a LOT more than $2.99 ... I know that you'll make more money and you'll keep this secret out of the hands of the curious.

I'm sure that you think that by pricing it low, then more people will be able to afford it.
Believe me when I tell you ... teleFoto at $50 has made almost as much money as iForce!! In the next year, teleFoto will SURPASS iForce in profits.

As it has been already stated in this thread, my Supa Thump app can use any web connected device as a transmitter, while any other device can be used as a receiver.
Since I have apps that use this method, I don't want the secret of converting a spectator's device into a receiver to become the next thumb tip. Smile

PLEASE raise the price ... trust me, you won't regret it.

all the best,
Greg Rostami
daniltan
View Profile
Elite user
477 Posts

Profile of daniltan
The way you google for the hotel is genius DynaMix!
DynaMix
View Profile
Inner circle
1146 Posts

Profile of DynaMix
Quote:
On Nov 5, 2014, Greg Rostami wrote:
Gordon told me about City Prediction.

WOW, what a CLEVER and organic use of iOS maps!!

Congratulations to gyorkop and Soma.

This is such a powerful concept, that you can charge a LOT more than $2.99 ... I know that you'll make more money and you'll keep this secret out of the hands of the curious.

I'm sure that you think that by pricing it low, then more people will be able to afford it.
Believe me when I tell you ... teleFoto at $50 has made almost as much money as iForce!! In the next year, teleFoto will SURPASS iForce in profits.

As it has been already stated in this thread, my Supa Thump app can use any web connected device as a transmitter, while any other device can be used as a receiver.
Since I have apps that use this method, I don't want the secret of converting a spectator's device into a receiver to become the next thumb tip. Smile

PLEASE raise the price ... trust me, you won't regret it.

all the best,
Greg Rostami

As a show of faith I'd be willing to send you the difference if you raise the price Soma. I Agree with Greg on this.

Even something like 9.99 would keep it out of more curious hands.
DynaMix
View Profile
Inner circle
1146 Posts

Profile of DynaMix
Quote:
On Nov 5, 2014, daniltan wrote:
The way you google for the hotel is genius DynaMix!

Thanks brother I appreciate it! In sure there are better ideas but I know this flies right by the spectator!
SOMA
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of SOMA
Hi Everyone,

This is Soma. Thanks for all the feedback! We really appreciate it! We will do our best to make this product as good as possible. iPad compatibility coming for sure, probably with the next version! Regarding the Android platform, we are still in discussion.

@DynaMix: awesome routine, good thinking!

@Greg Rostami: Thanks for the tips Greg! Would you have a private email address I could reach you at?
Greg Rostami
View Profile
V.I.P.
Skynet will become self-aware in
2871 Posts

Profile of Greg Rostami
Yes,

My email address is:
grostami@gmail.com
Paul S Wingham
View Profile
Inner circle
1378 Posts

Profile of Paul S Wingham
This app is incredible and although its easy to say now I've purchased; it ia too cheep. The level of detail is brillint, right down to how you exit the maps.

I think I'll present it by asking them to think about a place they'd like to visit. That in turn gives you a justification to go into google and look for some pictures to help them imagine it. I think I will then build in some time misdirection by perhps getting them to picture there trip and imagining the hotel room they visit. Then using a s***i you can predict the room number they think of; before the big reveal.

To say I love this would be an understatement.
weapon
View Profile
Inner circle
I am Emran. I have,
1329 Posts

Profile of weapon
The app is awesome!!!!
Eternity by Emran Riaz (Gimmicks + Download) An IMPOSSIBLE prediction of ANY number, ANY word, literally ENGRAVED in a medallion they've been holding THE ENTIRE TIME.
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/12181
Josh Clarke
View Profile
New user
Portland, Oregon, USA
68 Posts

Profile of Josh Clarke
Is there a way to recover an ID if you uninstall the app?
Josh-Clarke.com : Voices is available now!
gyorkop
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of gyorkop
Quote:
On Nov 13, 2014, Josh Clarke wrote:
Is there a way to recover an ID if you uninstall the app?

Absolutely, if you want to use the same ID again, please send me a private message and I'll delete your previous registration.

gyorkop
gyorkop
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of gyorkop
Quote:
On Nov 11, 2014, weapon wrote:
The app is awesome!!!!

Thanks for your feedback, it's always good to hear when someone likes our app Smile

gyorkop
Magic Patrick
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota
1591 Posts

Profile of Magic Patrick
Just bought this and I love it. Great app!

Patrick
Paul S Wingham
View Profile
Inner circle
1378 Posts

Profile of Paul S Wingham
I've not used this for a while and now cant remember the url to send them to or how to get in to settings in the app. Can anyone help me?

THanks

p
daniltan
View Profile
Elite user
477 Posts

Profile of daniltan
Yes, I just sent you a PM Smile
rasp
View Profile
Inner circle
1122 Posts

Profile of rasp
I have the same problem, could you remind me how to get into the settings etc?

thanks in advance,

Ian.
j100taylor
View Profile
Inner circle
1198 Posts

Profile of j100taylor
Ditto
Lakewood, Ohio