The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The little darlings :: Do You Allow Parents To Video Your Show? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
James Fortune
View Profile
Special user
UK
509 Posts

Profile of James Fortune
This seems to be a question that has two answers - Yes & No!

What I mean by this is that almost as many pros say "Yes" as say "No".

What's your view on this and why?
Warmest regards
James

James Fortune MIMC
www.comedymagiciansurrey.co.uk
www.bestweddingmagician.co.uk
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Why not?

If you are asked and you say "no", that's only going to create ill will, above or below the surface.

There are those who are so protective of their routines and secrets that they won't allow anyone to tape their shows or take still pictures! A bit paranoid, I suggest.

And there are those who say that taping a show means that next year the parents will just play the show in the VCR instead of hiring you. Well, if the performers, parents, and kids can't tell the difference between a filmed and a live performance, I guess that's a reason for not doing it. But I suspect most people can tell the difference! LOL.

On the 'yes' side, assuming you are asked in the first place, you keep the parents happy, and they are the ones that are hiring you.

The only reason 99 per cent of them tape the show is as a memento of the birthday party. (Do you REALLY think you are that important that you would overshadow that event?) So let them, and don't be a "grinch".

To say "no" is just mean-spirited and small.

Of course, if they start taping and don't ask, use your own judgment!

cheers,
Peter Marucci
James Fortune
View Profile
Special user
UK
509 Posts

Profile of James Fortune
Dear Peter,

How very wise.

I purposely didn't mention my views because I wanted others to comment first.

In my catchment area, is is common practice among the pros to disallow videoing of the shows. Indeed, a number of my friends (competitors?) will stop the show if a video camera pops up!

My view has always been similar to yours - why not?

I'm not a 'Superstar' with a £/$ multi-million marketing image to protect. The parent is filming his child, not me. (S)he's recording a happy event.

Now, I've often asked if they would send me a copy. They always say "Yes" but they never do. Smile

Ah well ...

(BTW, if you don't agree, please feel very free to tell us so - and why)
Warmest regards
James

James Fortune MIMC
Andini
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, OH
685 Posts

Profile of Andini
The situation has never come up but if it does, the answer is, "Absolutely!"

I can just see the day...the family sits together to watch some of there home movies and, what's this? A magician? Oh yeah! We had him at Billy's birthday last year. He was fun! I wonder if I still have his number...

I think you know where I'm goin' with this. Smile
James Fortune
View Profile
Special user
UK
509 Posts

Profile of James Fortune
Especially if your phone number is nicely and visibly displayed on your roll-on table! Smile
Warmest regards
James

James Fortune MIMC
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I certainly do because it is their show that they are paying for and the more they show the tape to others, it acts as an infomercial for me.

I just make sure I have my logo sign on my roll on case so that the entire film or pictures from the show always have my name and brand mark on it.

It is free advertising. I also can get some great footage from them if I do not get to film the show myself.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
James Fortune
View Profile
Special user
UK
509 Posts

Profile of James Fortune
Kyle,

Great stuff.

Quote:
I just make sure I have my logo sign on my roll on case so that the entire film or pictures from the show always have my name and brand mark on it.

Do you just have your name & logo or your phone number as well.

I'm just about to have my roll-on repainted and definitely want my name and logo on it - but do I put my phone number on it as well?
Warmest regards
James

James Fortune MIMC
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
I think we all have come across entertainers who are so full of themselves, - almost to the point whereby the Customers and their children are placed down the priority listings, - as if they are just funding the entertainer's desire to perform. Generally speaking I find that some of these individuals have very little worth photographing or videoing in the first place!

We are proud of the fact that there are videos/pics of us not only in the UK but also Japan, USA, Holland, Denmark, Australia, Canada etc. Looking at it another way, - we have now done 25 years and 2 months of entertaining, - wow, just think of all those pictures! Wonderful! Smile
kenscott
View Profile
Inner circle
1869 Posts

Profile of kenscott
Birthdays: I do let them without a doubt. I mean I am in their house and I tell them they cannot use their video camera in their own house? To me that is crazy.

I do not allow any other shows such as schools, daycares, libraries, etc to be taped.

ken
magiker
View Profile
Loyal user
Sweden
283 Posts

Profile of magiker
I agree with Kyle.

Free advertising and a great way to reach others that may not know you exist.

Rick
Magiker

Believe in the possibility of the impossible
A C Spectre
View Profile
New user
Connecticut
75 Posts

Profile of A C Spectre
The way I see it, I'm performing tricks invented by someone else and mass marketed. My routines for those tricks are a mix of some of my own thinking and things I have seen other performers do or what some other performer wrote up in the instructions for the trick. In reality what do I have to fear from someone video taping my shows? I think the risk of creating ill will with a paying customer by making a stink about it is not worth it. In the past I have even asked for a copy or to view the recording in order to critique my performance. Any time I have done this people have been more than happy to oblige me.

Being a part time performer, I don't have the benefit of a Security Detail for my shows, so even if I did prohibit video or still photography at larger shows (schools, churches etc.) it would be an unenforcable policy. Trying to case the joint for cameras while attempting to entertain at the same time just won't work.

If I am ever lucky enough to invent an illusion the sets the magic world on fire or I start to play sold out auditoriums worldwide I suppose it would be a concern. Until then, I won't get too excited about it.

Humbly,

A C Spectre

Smile
James Fortune
View Profile
Special user
UK
509 Posts

Profile of James Fortune
Hi Ken,

Quote:
I do not allow any other shows such as schools, daycares, libraries, etc to be taped.

Can I ask why?
Warmest regards
James

James Fortune MIMC
glodmagic
View Profile
Special user
USA
501 Posts

Profile of glodmagic
I addressed this in a similar thread.

What isn't mentioned above is that there are thousands of Birthday tapes of our performance in circulation. Most of these tapes go back several years.

As with any of you, I perform shows that are excellent, good bad, and Ugly! When it appears on tape it is immortalized AND a representation to a viewer of your quality.

I am not as concerned about protecting my routine, jokes, etc. but I always am concerned about this "record" of a show in terms of my quality.

It has worked both FOR and AGAINST me. I have heard parents say they booked me because they watched the entire show at the neighbors house on video. Although I have not heard it, I am pretty sure that one of my "less than perfect" shows have been reviewed as well.

Nearly EVERY show I see a person with a video camera aimed at me. This brings yet one more dimension. I was directed when doing TV specials to forget about the audience and play to the camera. At a Birthday I am looking at the floor much of the time because kids are seated there so a lot of video is my bald head!

Do I let someone use a camera on their own kid in their own house? You Bet I do! I have a special rider in the Birthday agreement about getting a copy.
Remember ANY of your posts here can be Googled by your customers and Clients. Just entering your name in Google can bring up your negative comments that stay for years!
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7568 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I agree with Ken Scott. I do allow my birthday show to be videotaped or photographed. In fact, it is one of the issues I address when speaking with a parent, as it is often raised.

(By the way, I know some performers who offer to provide another person to make a special birthday video of the birthday party, especially the show. This can have titles quickly edited in, and can be left with the parent before you both leave the party. The performer provides the videographer, the videocamera, and the tape.)

For my other shows (non-birthdays), I have a policy of not allowing the show to be taped or photographed. Why? Because I have seen tapes of myself pop up on TV commercials, and photos of myself pop up in advertising, without my permission, and without receiving any modeling/acting fee. You should always be compensated if your image is being used in a commercial way, to make other people money. I am not referring to a newspaper taking my photo for a story, and not referring to pre-promotion of a certain event, with use of a photo you've supplied.

I also have a problem with some people recording me, without asking permission. This irks me, and strikes me as rude. If they ask me, then I let them do so, with the understanding that they will not use the images for commercial purposes. I will not interrupt a show if a person starts recording without permission, but I will make an effort to talk with them afterwards to encourage them to ask first next time.

- The Gr8 DonaldD.

P.S. I think your name and logo on your su-table is fine. In my opinion, your phone number on that same sign has crossed the line. Just one reason why, it's tacky. A second reason, what if you are working for an agent?... you should never give out any contact info for yourself at a show, if you are working for an agent. All business cards / phone numbers in that case should be theirs! This is appropriate business behaviour.
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
James Fortune
View Profile
Special user
UK
509 Posts

Profile of James Fortune
Donald,

Quote:
what if you are working for an agent?... you should never give out any contact info for yourself at a show, if you are working for an agent. All business cards / phone numbers in that case should be theirs! This is appropriate business behaviour.

Absolutely right! I'd forgotten about that Smile
Warmest regards
James

James Fortune MIMC
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
I have signs written in dry marker that I hold up in front of the video before the show starts that say "Child's name & age" and (printed) Magician: Phillip Jones & my details.

This way it makes the video look good having the titling and I get my details over.

I always let them tape me!
Phillip
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I do not have my phone number or anything like that as it gets to be too much. The only thing on the case is my logo that has our name. It is enough to remind people who we are and get people talking about us.

My roll on table is one by Joe Lefler so it has the fabric type of material on it. This is perfect for me because it excepts velcro really well. This allows me to make up my own signs and to also customize each sign to the show I am doing. It also allows me to change signs and store it better.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
ralphdean
View Profile
Loyal user
Northern Ca
300 Posts

Profile of ralphdean
A parent wondering around alot with a video can be distracting so when they ask if filming is ok you may want to suggest they not move around the room much.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7568 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Kyle - I do the exact same thing with my Lefler table.

- The Gr8 DonaldD.
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Donald:

Great minds think alike. =)

Kyle
Kyle Peron