The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: I.B.M. Youth :: Washington (1 Like) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
zoescout
View Profile
New user
Washington
48 Posts

Profile of zoescout
I was wondering if there are any IBM youth organizations in WA state?

Thanks!
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Hi, Zoe! Where in Washington are you located? I'll check for you. Keep in mind that it only takes one or two devoted teens and a strong mentor to start forming a local I.B.M. Adult and Youth Ring.

Skip
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
zoescout
View Profile
New user
Washington
48 Posts

Profile of zoescout
I am north of Seattle near Mount Vernon - however willing to travel within reason. I am an amateur magician and I do magic with my son.
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Zoe, I show two IBM Rings within 45 miles of you. IBM Ring 339 is located in Lynnwood, WA (45 miles) and IBM Ring 52/SAM Assembly 200 is located in Seattle, WA (42 miles).

The contact for Ring 339 is Craig Colombel at accolombel@zipcon.com. Their website is www.nwringoffire.com.

The contact for IBM Ring 52/SAM Assembly 200 is J.R. Russell at jr@jrrussellfamily.com. Their website is www.emeraldcitywizards.org.

I'm not sure whether they have Youth Rings at this time. If not, I'm sure they would be willing to start one with the right encouragement.

If you can uncover ten individuals interested in magic in and around Mt. Vernon, we could also help you create a Ring and Youth Ring there.

Let me know if I can help further. I am at your service.

Skip
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

zoescout
View Profile
New user
Washington
48 Posts

Profile of zoescout
Thank you! I will contact them and find out.
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Zoe, I forgot to mention that the IBM Territorial Vice President for Washington is Brian Cook at briancookmagic@msn.com. Brian can help you find other magicians and magic enthusiasts in your immediate area, if you're interested in forming a Ring nearer to Mount Vernon.

zoescout
View Profile
New user
Washington
48 Posts

Profile of zoescout
Thank you again for your help. It sounds like one of the IBM rings has a youth organization - not sure if it is an official youth ring but it is a place to start. I am interested in possibly forming a ring in our area if there is any need.
zoescout
View Profile
New user
Washington
48 Posts

Profile of zoescout
Typically how many kids would you need to join to start a new youth ring?
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
The Standing Rules currently require ten (10) Active (adult) I.B.M. Members to form a Ring and Youth Rings are a sponsored subsidiary of the adult Rings. There are no current options for Youth Rings to be formed independently. I plan to submit a proposal at the January board meeting to change that and make Independent Youth Ring Charters possible with Three Active Members and seven Youth Members.

zoescout
View Profile
New user
Washington
48 Posts

Profile of zoescout
That would be great. Finding 10 active adult members first would be difficult. May be able to meet your criteria. I think the ability to form independent youth rings would help you get more youth involved in IBM, especially for those that don't live in a major U.S. city. Keep me posted!
zoescout
View Profile
New user
Washington
48 Posts

Profile of zoescout
Did the rule for independent youth rings get changed? Or does it still require 10 active adult members.... Have some interest to start a ring, but still don't have 10 adult members.
zoescout
View Profile
New user
Washington
48 Posts

Profile of zoescout
Its tough when you don't live in a major metropolitan area!
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
The change has been approved. In short, Youth Rings called Links can now form and charter independent of adult Rings. You need three active adult I.B.M. members and seven I.B.M. Youth Members to request a charter. At least one of the adult members must be of the opposite gender of the other two adults for balance and a positive role model. Links can be chartered through schools, performing art centers, churches, after-school program centers, etc.

The details can be found in the June issue of The Linking Ring.

This is a very exciting change and one that should benefit the I.B.M. and youth members in remote areas. Let me know if I can help, Zoe.

Skip

poki
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of poki
Hi Zoe,
I'm just North of Mt Vernon in Bellingham.
I've been teaching magic to my girlfriend's son.
Any update on starting the ring?
Thanks!