The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! :: Victorian Era Red Light Seance (21 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Darkness
View Profile
Inner circle
1633 Posts

Profile of Darkness
Lucky to have Carlyle and Steven that sounds like you did an awesome routine.
THE SUPERNATURAL ILLUSIONIST & EFFECTS CREATOR WWW.MRDARKNESS.COM
aheads
View Profile
Regular user
Stockholm, Sweden
188 Posts

Profile of aheads
Does anyone have any links to DVD's or ebooks which focus on red Light seances? Docc Hilford has a couple of pdf's bundled together (Velvet Seance Doccinair) but I'm not sure if they will point me where I want to be.
All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream
Ray Carlyle
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Ray Carlyle
Hi Gang,

Well I don't get on here much, but since there are questions about the One-Man Seance (red Light) I thought I'd jump in and tell what I want to give those that deside to sign up for the work shop.

First let me tell what I'll be covering in the "lecture" that is a part of the Convention. Besides some topics on Mentalism I'll show and tell my version of the ungimmiced slates I used for over 10 years at the Houdini seance at the Magic Castle. A "Living and Dead Test" I used there and the now famious Mediums Grip! Those are the high lights.

Now as to the seperate Work Shop which is planned for the 16th day. I say 'day' as the convention starts about 7:00PM that night.
In the AM I will cover the Spirit Cabinet Act I developed from, as I posted before and quoted here, several people (Excuse me Mr. Abbott I miss spelled your first name it's Percy!)It does away with the cabinet frame and is much faster. Todays audiences seem to want fast so it now can be, and in doing so, is more supprising! I'll going the staging and handling of the five (5) helpers on stage. Why I will never use the spectators coat bit!

In the PM, after lunch, The One-Man Seance. I will not be able to give the person by person training I gave at my home but it will be close. I will cover the business part and how to arrive with nothing in your hands to carry in. That is 'ready to go'! I will cover several effects to use in the light portion and show you just how little darkness you really need! And belive me its a lot less that you might think! Ask Steve he was at Richard Lavengood's home when I proved it to him.

There will be severial of my past students there to help. Loren Tindall, Darrell Mac, Jon Stetson and may be a couple more.
So any questions you may have, do try to contact me by e-mail ( carlyle@cox.net ) or on Skype ( edward.r.fowler1 ) I will annswer if you say what its about!

Cheers,
Ray Carlyle
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of Ray Carlyle
Oh One thing More I', still not sure about issuing a video disc. I have refused for years because I didn't think you could really learn from a video and I didn't think it was fair to those that paid to have the personal training. However I am thinking of trying to teach over live sessions on Skype on one on one for a price! This would open it up to people outside the USA.

Cheers
Intrepid
View Profile
Inner circle
Silver Spring, MD
1186 Posts

Profile of Intrepid
Ray, it's an honor to have you join us here, welcome. The workshop sounds like a true gem. Is there a separe fee for the Friday workshop? If so, can you tell us how much and how to sign-up for the workshop.
Bob
gostone23
View Profile
Loyal user
221 Posts

Profile of gostone23
For the workshop at ECSS, will it come with notes? Will we be allowed to take notes, photos, etc?

My memory sucks and I would certainly be interested in a video of the event even though I aim to attend.

Thanks

-robert
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2780 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
I can't answer your question. (except for notes, come on, of course you can take notes) But this is what I do feel: Are videos allowed/expected at other lectures? Workshops? Did Weber allow videos at his? Osterlind? Cassidy? Come on, be reasonable. You are there for 8 hrs. PLUS he will be there for questions the entire weekend. PLUS I am sure he would be happy to Skype with you as long as he is able to answer questions. It is very clear that "sharing" is rampant in the magic community EVEN THE SPOOKY ONE. (just ask Dan and Freddie) **end of rant**

s
gothicmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Ubiquitous
1374 Posts

Profile of gothicmagic
We are glad many of you are going to be in attendance to learn from Carlyle, he is in my opinion a living treasure of working information on this topic, and a great guy also, if you have always wanted to know be there Smile
Vlad ^0^
One of The Founding Fathers of The East Coast Spirit Sessions & Co Producer of Bizarre hauntings
ECSS I,II,III,IV,V,VI
Order of the Hexidic
Perkins
View Profile
Special user
950 Posts

Profile of Perkins
The Carlyle workshop at ECSS finally got me off the fence. It's a long trip for me, but I knew I would regret it if I didn't make every effort to learn from this man in person. Flip on those 'red lights'!
The Séance Party
http://www.theseanceparty.com
gothicmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Ubiquitous
1374 Posts

Profile of gothicmagic
Perkins are you going to be bringing any of your POE items to the ECSS?
Vlad ^0^
One of The Founding Fathers of The East Coast Spirit Sessions & Co Producer of Bizarre hauntings
ECSS I,II,III,IV,V,VI
Order of the Hexidic
Darkness
View Profile
Inner circle
1633 Posts

Profile of Darkness
Ahhh you're killin me.... in a good way, don't make come over there....
gothicmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Ubiquitous
1374 Posts

Profile of gothicmagic
Smile you know you want to be there, one of us, one of us
Vlad ^0^
ECSS I,II,III,IV,V,VI
Order of the Hexidic
Darkness
View Profile
Inner circle
1633 Posts

Profile of Darkness
Considering I was a goth in the early 80's (as I'm betting you were too), I come by it naturally. Peter Murphy and Sister's of Mercy!! Ahhh... I'm having a midlife crisis attack, I'm drawn to the light... Smile
It's going to be Epic and if people have the means but choose not to go, I think it will be a "huge" mistake. Especially if they love this dark art, you will learn so much and meet your long lost but not dead yet family.
The line up makes me jealous. Go people Go!
gostone23
View Profile
Loyal user
221 Posts

Profile of gostone23
Quote:
On Nov 20, 2014, the Sponge wrote:
I can't answer your question. (except for notes, come on, of course you can take notes) But this is what I do feel: Are videos allowed/expected at other lectures? Workshops? Did Weber allow videos at his? Osterlind? Cassidy? Come on, be reasonable. You are there for 8 hrs. PLUS he will be there for questions the entire weekend. PLUS I am sure he would be happy to Skype with you as long as he is able to answer questions. It is very clear that "sharing" is rampant in the magic community EVEN THE SPOOKY ONE. (just ask Dan and Freddie) **end of rant**

s

Oh right. Duh! Sorry, I've never been to a magic lecture. And on Mr. Carlyle's website it says "You are shown what to acquire and are offered a chance to video, audio & take still pictures." but that's probably just for individual instruction.

-Robert
the Sponge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
2780 Posts

Profile of the Sponge
Yes, that was from when he taught in his home. This is one fifth the price, so quite the steal!
gothicmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Ubiquitous
1374 Posts

Profile of gothicmagic
Carlyle is a great guy, if you have any questions during or after feel free to ask him , he is a gracious gentleman dedicated to the art
Vlad ^0^
ECSS I,II,III,IV,V,VI
Order of the Hexidic
steven-gibson
View Profile
Special user
Eastcoastspiritsessions.com
893 Posts

Profile of steven-gibson
Re-reading this old post about red light seance, Lillians Di@ry, and our dear friend Carlyle. They say a man dies two deaths. The first when he draws his last breath, and the second when his name is mentioned for the last time. Cheers Carlyle, you are with us for another day at least.