The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Not very magical, still... :: How Can DC Catch Up With Marvel? (45 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..9..15..21..27..32~33~34~35~36..45..53..61..69..77..79~80~81 [Next]
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21275 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I have not seen W squared, but Guardians is my favorite movie of any genra so far.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16551 Posts

Profile of tommy
I used to love Flash Gorden when I was a kid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8BFrd1ckSw

I think back then we all really believed we would be spacemen soon.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7568 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Any other fans of "Gotham" on here?

The season 3 finale of "Gotham" was pretty amazing! It aired last night, so I watched part last night and part today.

My wife was in another room when I reacted to this one part (she doesn't watch this show), and she thought that something was seriously wrong (like I was reacting to something serious on the news). I had to explain to her that it was just something on the TV show, and that's all I was saying "Whoa!" about. lol!

- Donald

P.S. I'm hoping to go see "Wonder Woman" before the end of the week.
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Quote:
On Jun 6, 2017, Donald Dunphy wrote:
Any other fans of "Gotham" on here?

The season 3 finale of "Gotham" was pretty amazing! It aired last night, so I watched part last night and part today.

My wife was in another room when I reacted to this one part (she doesn't watch this show), and she thought that something was seriously wrong (like I was reacting to something serious on the news). I had to explain to her that it was just something on the TV show, and that's all I was saying "Whoa!" about. lol!

- Donald

P.S. I'm hoping to go see "Wonder Woman" before the end of the week.

I love Gotham. The way

D.C. has surpassed Marvel as far as T.V. shows are concerned imo.
Flash brought the whole Flashpoint story line home very well after it went sideways a bit.
Supergirl is just campy enough.

S.H.I.E.L.D has turned into train wreck, but I'm looking forward to The Defenders in August.
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Gotham and the Flash season finales both had something in common. I thought they both would have made great series finales in how they ended. Flash's ending would not have been a happy one, but Gotham's was just right. However both are coming back next year.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
I think Marvel has another big hit on their hands.

Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7568 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I think it's pretty cool that Marvel (MCU) has 3 movie trailers out at the same time.

Spider-Man: Homecoming (July 2017), Thor: Ragnarok (November 2017), and Black Panther (February 2018).

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21275 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Because I am hopelessly behind on stuff I am watching Iron Fist. 3 episodes in and I'm not disappointed.

I have to make my way back to Jessica Jones.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21275 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
It never occurred to me how similar the Batman symbol is to Iron Fist. Well I guess it is the other way round but they are similar.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5162 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Saw Wonder Woman this past weekend and really liked it. Maybe 20 minutes too long, but other than that, very cool. Some intense fight choreography, well-developed characters, empowered women, and best of all...

no invisible airplane!
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Lol. I know what you mean about the airplane, and I agree. In fact, in the comics, in a recent development,they made it even WORSE by making it sentient.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21275 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Nice.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21275 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Well I sent to see W squared.

It is an origin story obviously.

Gal Gadot was great. Tough charecter to play.

It wasn't bad. I still think it had many of the problems Sups has with omnipotence and such. I sort of dislike the violence as an answer ending that accompanies every super hero movie now.

All in all not a bad way to spend a couple hours.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
A somewhat belated obituary but a couple of weeks ago, popular artist Rich Buckler passed away. Although known for creating the Marvel hero Deathlok, he also did tons of work for both Marvel and DC. The best way to eulogize Mr. Buckler is by remembering your favorite work that he did. In my case, it was a Justice League story that featured the return of the Extraterrestrial Starro. Although his entire body had been destroyed except for just one of his limbs, Starro was able to use that fragmentary-limb to successfully regenerate his entire body. Seems that in addition to myself that only Cliff and Twister remember these classic artists. After all, it was only Cliff and Twister who remembered Bernie Wrightson.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
I do remember Rich Buckler, I also remember the Starro story you speak of. I remember reading the Deathlock origin too. I did not know he had passed, I will raise a pen in his honor.
Magic is like Science,
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Quote:
On Jun 5, 2017, ed rhodes wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 1, 2017, Orville Smith wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 1, 2017, tommy wrote:
Which superhero is normal?

To answer Tommy, I would say normal applies to Batman. What I base my answer on is from watching the TV documentary on Batman in which the point was made that Batman is not even a superhero because he has no superpowers at all. That point was made by a DC-writer so it must have some validity.

There are quite a few "superheroes" without powers. The Vigilante, Wildcat, the original Atom was nothing more than a short person who had trained himself as a fighter. There was an entire episode of "Justice League - Unlimited" that had a parade of superheroes, the problem was, there was a event happening that had drawn away all the "A" listers and left only the "unpowered" superheroes to appear and take on a meta-hating general who mutated himself to destroy the Justice League. Someone else pointed out that the only "meta" human in this fight was him!

There's more (imho) to being a "superhero" than being a meta-human.

Yes,I remember that Al Pratt version of the Atom that you mention who has no superpowers at all. In fact, there was one 1960s issue where Pratt fought against the Ray Palmer Atom(who has superpowers) and,believe it or not, the non-powered one defeated the super-powered one. The way he did it was by hitting Ray's Shrinkage-control button so Palmer grew back to normal size, at which point Al knocked him out. lol
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Later it was revealed that Pratt gained super strength form being exposed to various radiations over the years.

I always thought it was weird that a five foot four Al Pratt would take on a heard of six footer baddies who were sometimes armed, and beat the hell out of them.

Ah comics... making the little reader feel he could triumph over any injustice.
Magic is like Science,
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Apologies, Al is 5 foot 1 inch short. It was Houdini who was probably 5'4"
Magic is like Science,
AceOfJokers
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of AceOfJokers
I have a Superhero 'anagram tree' routine that all kids and most adults love. It uses both DC and Marvel characters.
hollywoo
View Profile
New user
Kentucky
18 Posts

Profile of hollywoo
At present, DC has much better comics than Marvel, Marvel has much better movies, and both have hit-or-miss TV.

I haven't seen Wonder Woman yet. It might put DC back in the running movies-wise. Which I'd like, as I'm a huge DC fan.

Quote:
On Jul 3, 2017, AceOfJokers wrote:
I have a Superhero 'anagram tree' routine that all kids and most adults love. It uses both DC and Marvel characters.

That sounds awesome! I actually came upon this thread searching "comic books" to see if there were any comic-related effects. Been thinking about presenting some tricks, but with the gimmick being that I've been trying to develop the superpowers of various heroes but with limited success. Super Man's x-ray vision allowing me to see through a closed box to tell what someone's card is (or, perhaps more powerfully, a mentalism effect where I can "see" what they drew on a paper in an envelope). Spider-Man's ability to stick to things. Maybe mild telekinesis with a levitation effect, and so on. That'll be a bit down the line, though. Still very early in the learning process right now.