The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Not very magical, still... :: How Can DC Catch Up With Marvel? (45 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..20..34..48..62..76..79~80~81 [Next]
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21275 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yea I sort of said that earlier in the thread didn't I?

And yes I will be watching.

Although the Agents of SHIELD is a pretty cool show.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
I know Agents of SHIELD has gotten good reviews but personally, I think it kinda sucks. And that from a die-hard Marvel fan.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21275 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
It grew on me. I did like the ending of seaSon one.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
Quote:
On Sep 22, 2014, Orville_Smith wrote:
How many in this thread will be watching the debut of the Gotham TV series tonight? My understanding is that it won't have Batman but instead just his villains. Sounds like an innovative approach. Whereas Marvel concentrates on theatrical movies, DC instead concentrates on TV.

We caught a sneak peek at this series during Comic-Con. It was quite good. It features the villains before they
found their real identity and costumes...I thoroughly enjoyed the screening and will be watching the series.
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Only two responses to GOTHAM, so I take it that most of those on this thread felt disappointed in the premiere. Innovative how it showed the PRE-Penguin, but I did Not care for the over-all gangster atmosphere. Instead, I have more anticipation for THE FLASH premiere coming in a few days. In the promo, it showed a YELLOW blur too. So in watching it again, the yellow had a distinctly human outline, so it must be the Villain, the REVERSE-Flash.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21275 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I think Gotham tried to introduce too many characters.

The whole Batman origin makes me cringe when I think "why is a billionaire couple walking down a deserted alley to catch a cab"? The obligatory bouncing pearls and such.

The Flash looms good and had a good push on Arrow. Sort of did his origin story so that is taken care of. You know Barry and sort of like him so much of the heavy lifting is done. The child Bruce Wayne trying to do the Batman mean mug at the end has me questioning if I will be back for Gotham.

I should mention I am a lifelong Dark Knight fan.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
On the Agent of Shield tv series, what a pleasant surprise to see the appearance of the Marvel villain the ABSORBING MAN. The Absorbing Man is a villain from the THOR magazine, so it's great that the Shield tv-series occasionally pops those surprises on the audience. What the Shield series is doing, will prove very productive as that TV series combines with the blockbuster Movies to make the overall franchise a cohesive whole.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
I used to like The Flash, but maybe someone can tell me. Is there any power that The Flash has that Superman doesn't have? I'm not sure I understand the super-heroes whose powers are a complete subset of someone else's powers. You know what I mean? Like Aquaman, lame as the book was at times, at least had an interesting different set of powers. Even J'hon Jonzz (spelling? I dunno it's been 45 years) had a different weakness from Superman.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21275 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
What powers does Wonder Woman have that superman doesn't have?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Or Supergirl/woman for that matter. At least they got the female thing going for them.

But really, is there some use of speed that The Flash has that Superman doesn't use or know about? Just curious.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On Sep 27, 2014, landmark wrote:

I used to like The Flash, but maybe someone can tell me. Is there any power that The Flash has that Superman doesn't have?

The wikipedia entry for The Flash (various incarnations) explains at least some of the powers. Many (I think) are different from Superman's.

The Flash thinks at light speed. This gives some immunity to telepathy, as the thoughts operate at a rate too rapid for telepaths to read or influence.

The Flash has an invisible aura to protect him from air friction at high speed. The Flash IS way faster than Superman ("After Final Crisis in Flash: Rebirth #3 the Flash is shown as being much faster than Superman, easily outstripping him as Superman tries to keep up with him. He reveals that all the close races between them had been for charity.")

The Flash can vibrate through walls. He can also vibrate fast enough to see other dimensions / planes of existence.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Quote:
On Sep 27, 2014, balducci wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 27, 2014, landmark wrote:

I used to like The Flash, but maybe someone can tell me. Is there any power that The Flash has that Superman doesn't have?

The wikipedia entry for The Flash (various incarnations) explains at least some of the powers. Many (I think) are different from Superman's.

The Flash thinks at light speed. This gives some immunity to telepathy, as the thoughts operate at a rate too rapid for telepaths to read or influence.

The Flash has an invisible aura to protect him from air friction at high speed. The Flash IS way faster than Superman ("After Final Crisis in Flash: Rebirth #3 the Flash is shown as being much faster than Superman, easily outstripping him as Superman tries to keep up with him. He reveals that all the close races between them had been for charity.")

The Flash can vibrate through walls. He can also vibrate fast enough to see other dimensions / planes of existence.

To add to what you said, another big difference between Superman and Flash is that Superman is Invulnerable whereas Flash would get seriously wounded or even killed by a bullet. That's why in some situations where,let's say, his girlfriend, Iris, is being shot at-- the Flash in trying to intercept the bullet, would have to, at first, catch up to the speeding bullet, then GRADUALLY MATCH the speed of the bullet, and then GRADUALLY CURVE his hand around the bullet to catch it harmlessly. That way, he intercepts the bullet while remaining unharmed. If it was Superman, all he would have to do is simply let the bullet bounce off his invulnerable body. In comparison, as can be seen, the Flash has a much harder time.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21275 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I always loved the old Superman show when he would take six bullets in the chest, and then duck when they threw the gun.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Quote:
On Sep 27, 2014, Dannydoyle wrote:
I always loved the old Superman show when he would take six bullets in the chest, and then duck when they threw the gun.

Now that you mentioned that discrepancy from the Superman show, there was another one I recall, this time involving X-ray vision. Superman was handed a photograph of a man whose face was hidden under a hood. The discrepancy is that Superman used his X-ray eyes to see the face of the man under the hood. That doesn't make any sense at all. For the X-ray vision to work, he would have to use it on a LIVE person. It would NOT work on a photograph because there would be nothing at all under the hood. On the other hand, it would have worked with DOCTOR STRANGE because he uses Magic from his amulet, the EYE OF AGAMOTTO.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21275 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yes it is easy to get in the weeds on super discrepancies. I just thought it was funny looming when it happened.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
I'm glad continuity has been flushed--it was so hard to keep up with.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Quote:
On Sep 27, 2014, Dannydoyle wrote:
What powers does Wonder Woman have that superman doesn't have?

Basically,I think it's her magic Lasso. Since one of Superman's weaknesses is a weakness to magic,he cannot escape if the Lasso ensnares him. In addition,the lasso is also known as the Lasso of Truth because whoever is ensnared by the Rope has to tell the truth.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
So is Jhon J'onzz still around and is he still green? I think I once picked up a comic where he had turned a different color and I figured this whole comic world was becoming too complicated for me.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
The original, and still the best, Superman with George Reeves is back on MeTV!

Up, up and awaaaaay!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21275 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I love the thump when he jumps out the window to fly.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus