The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Not very magical, still... :: How Can DC Catch Up With Marvel? (45 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4..19..33..47..61..75..79~80~81 [Next]
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
The box office thinks that the best chefs in the world work for McDonalds.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On Sep 11, 2014, Pakar Ilusi wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 11, 2014, rockwall wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 11, 2014, Pakar Ilusi wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 10, 2014, rockwall wrote:
How can DC catch up with Marvel?

They can't.

Because DC is already better. Smile

Oh Pakar, I'm disappointed in you. I thought you of all people would see the much greater value in Marvel! Smile

Sorry to disappoint you but I love DC more... Smile

Now THIS is a debate worth 45 pages!!! Smile
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
I'm just happy that they're both putting out good stuff.

As far as what I'd like to see from DC -

The freaking JLA movie already! Jeez!
Something with the Teen Titans.

From Marvel -

World War Hulk.
A Hulk movie that doesn't suck.
A team-up movie (Hulk and Spiderman?!)

Crossovers? -

Hulk vs Superman.
Hulk vs Doomsday.
Hulk vs Darkseid.

Hulk SMASH!!
If you need fear to enforce your beliefs, then your beliefs are worthless.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21275 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
A Hulk fan?

Let me ask this if I may. Which type of Hulk do you prefer? The mindless rampaging smashing Hulk, the sort of intelligent can converse Hulk or the too smart to be the Hulk Hulk?

World War Hulk he shifted between the last 2.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Nope, don't like the Hulk at all. What made you think I did?

If I WAS a Hulk fan I would prefer the intelligent can converse, but is "always mad" to some degree Hulk. This way he can interact with others without being an annoying pain in the *** who becomes a bigger threat after he's finished helping. "Well, we beat the villian but now the Hulk is out of control, AGAIN."
He can also get angrier and become the rage machine, which is always nice if he's pointed away from you.

Btw, Lou Ferrigno = bad idea.

Also btw, an Ultimates movie could be awesome. Superhero v Superhero, moral conflict, politics, the possibilities are endless.
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
What never made sense to me is Bruce Banner's transformation. Whenever he changes into the Hulk, his body gets bigger, so his shirt rips and gets torn off. Since his ENTIRE body gets bigger, how come only his shirt gets torn off but his pants stay on? That never made sense to me.
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Quote:
On Sep 13, 2014, Orville_Smith wrote:
What never made sense to me is Bruce Banner's transformation. Whenever he changes into the Hulk, his body gets bigger, so his shirt rips and gets torn off. Since his ENTIRE body gets bigger, how come only his shirt gets torn off but his pants stay on? That never made sense to me.

Me either, but if EVERYTHING gets bigger we have to think of the ladies who would be, uh......, stunned at that part of his transformation were shown in, what was then Comics Code approved comic.

Aside from all the other great things he's done in his unassuming life, give the CCA the finger when deciding to publish Spidey #98 without their "approval" has to rank right up there with all the rest.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21275 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Well it explains why he is so angry. If your junk was squeezed that tight CONSTANTLY you would be in a bad mood too.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Since the Twister previously mentioned censorship,I notice that the Comics Code has become very lax nowadays. One that shocked me was the treatment of PLASTIC MAN. In a story several years ago where Plastic Man fought Black Lantern. At that point, Plastic Man's strength and power had severely weakened, so the Black Lantern took immediate advantage. Brutally, he ripped out Plastic Man's heart!! That certainly shocked me in view of what I thought of the Comics Code. Nowadays buying comics only sporadically, I was not aware of the changes in the code.

But what disappointed me was Not that brutal mutilation scene but instead his RESURRECTION several months later which was Not explained at all! Since he died from the heart-removal, how did he resurrect? There are three possible explanations I can think of. Since he was taken to Star Labs, then maybe they constructed a new heart for me. That is highly UNlikely, though, because that heart would need to have the same powers of Plastic Man himself.

Second possibility is that Plastic Man can survive without a heart, the explanation being that his body is constantly semi-fluid anyway, so his heart is Not a vital-organ for him.

Third possibility is that Plastic Man can regenerate. In that case, Plastic Man would simply regenerate a new heart from scratch. The fact that he can regenerate has been already established in earlier stories.

Whatever the case, I admire the development of Plastic Man from a wacky scatter-brained character to a somewhat serious character nowadays. Granted, he still retains some of his zaniness, but by joining the Justice League, his characterization has improved.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Fourth possibility: it's a freakin' comic book!
NYCTwister
View Profile
Loyal user
267 Posts

Profile of NYCTwister
Quote:
Since the Twister previously mentioned censorship,I notice that the Comics Code has become very lax nowadays.

If the Code still exists, no one cares.
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
On Sep 13, 2014, landmark wrote:
Fourth possibility: it's a freakin' comic book!

party pooper
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
Quote:
Since the Twister previously mentioned censorship,I notice that the Comics Code has become very lax nowadays. One that shocked me was the treatment of PLASTIC MAN. In a story several years ago where Plastic Man fought Black Lantern. At that point, Plastic Man's strength and power had severely weakened, so the Black Lantern took immediate advantage. Brutally, he ripped out Plastic Man's heart!! That certainly shocked me in view of what I thought of the Comics Code. Nowadays buying comics only sporadically, I was not aware of the changes in the code.

But what disappointed me was Not that brutal mutilation scene but instead his RESURRECTION several months later which was Not explained at all! Since he died from the heart-removal, how did he resurrect? There are three possible explanations I can think of. Since he was taken to Star Labs, then maybe they constructed a new heart for me. That is highly UNlikely, though, because that heart would need to have the same powers of Plastic Man himself.

Second possibility is that Plastic Man can survive without a heart, the explanation being that his body is constantly semi-fluid anyway, so his heart is Not a vital-organ for him.

Third possibility is that Plastic Man can regenerate. In that case, Plastic Man would simply regenerate a new heart from scratch. The fact that he can regenerate has been already established in earlier stories.

Whatever the case, I admire the development of Plastic Man from a wacky scatter-brained character to a somewhat serious character nowadays. Granted, he still retains some of his zaniness, but by joining the Justice League, his characterization has improved.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plastic_Man

"Regeneration: He is able to regenerate and/or assimilate lost or damaged tissue, although he needs to be reasonably intact for this process to begin; he was reduced to separate molecules and scattered across the ocean for centuries, only returning to his usual form after the rest of the League were able to gather enough of his molecules and restore approximately 80% of his body mass, after which he began to regenerate what they hadn't salvaged."
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Quote:
On Sep 10, 2014, Payne wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 10, 2014, critter wrote:

I hate Superman as a character.

I like Superman as a character. I just hate what all the movies have done to him. The have yet to make a watchable Superman film. The last one was particularly sucky.

I kinda liked a few of the Flasher Supermans.
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
[quote]On Sep 14, 2014, rockwall wrote:
Quote:

"Regeneration: He is able to regenerate and/or assimilate lost or damaged tissue, although he needs to be reasonably intact for this process to begin; he was reduced to separate molecules and scattered across the ocean for centuries, only returning to his usual form after the rest of the League were able to gather enough of his molecules and restore approximately 80% of his body mass, after which he began to regenerate what they hadn't salvaged." [/quote

Thank you Rockwall. Based on the wikipedia excerpt you posted, it can be seen that Plastic Man is better developed nowadays. COMPARED to the 1940s when Plaz was simply a self-parody, the current one tries to explain his physiology.
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
[quote]On Sep 15, 2014, Orville_Smith wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 14, 2014, rockwall wrote:
Quote:

"Regeneration: He is able to regenerate and/or assimilate lost or damaged tissue, although he needs to be reasonably intact for this process to begin; he was reduced to separate molecules and scattered across the ocean for centuries, only returning to his usual form after the rest of the League were able to gather enough of his molecules and restore approximately 80% of his body mass, after which he began to regenerate what they hadn't salvaged." [/quote

Thank you Rockwall. Based on the wikipedia excerpt you posted, it can be seen that Plastic Man is better developed nowadays. COMPARED to the 1940s when Plaz was simply a self-parody, the current one tries to explain his physiology.

Actually, my favorite Elastic-character is the Elongated Man from when he had those monthly adventures in the 1960s Detective Comics. Even so, I still bought the expensive $50 hardback of Plastic Man reprints because Plastic Man was the very first Elastic character, so being the completist that I am, I had to get that as well.
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
I caught some "Ant-Man" advance peeks during Comic-Con...it looks like this will
fare well for the franchise and move Marvel even that much further ahead of DC
in this business!

Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
rockwall
View Profile
Special user
762 Posts

Profile of rockwall
As I said previously, I have my doubts about this Marvel movie. I hope those worries prove unfounded. I like the poster. (It's fan made isn't it? Not official?)
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21275 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Never been a Hank Pym fan.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
How many in this thread will be watching the debut of the Gotham TV series tonight? My understanding is that it won't have Batman but instead just his villains. Sounds like an innovative approach. Whereas Marvel concentrates on theatrical movies, DC instead concentrates on TV.