The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Not very magical, still... :: How Can DC Catch Up With Marvel? (45 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..18..33..48..63..78~79~80~81 [Next]
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27302 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Was that The Host?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Host_(2013_film)

The one with water aliens was fun (The Faculty) Smile
...to all the coins I've dropped here
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Jul 24, 2023, Dannydoyle wrote:
Certainly you must mean in SOME mythology right? Not all mythology agrees with other mythology.

Well, yes. Sorry.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Aug 1, 2023, Orville Smith wrote:
To my dismay, I report the passing of Paul Rubens (of Pee-wee Herman fame).
RIP Paul Rubens 1952-2023
The reason I mention his demise in this Superhero thread is because I've always felt he would have been the perfect actor to play the superhero Plastic Man. Because as compared with other elastic heroes, Plastic Man was always zany and scatterbrained, exactly the type of performances Mr. Rubens was known for.

I thought he would have made a great Myxyptlyx (I know I misspelled that)
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Sep 2, 2023, Orville Smith wrote:
After 56 years,DC kills off an iconic superhero.
https://screenrant.com/deadman-dc-killed-knight-terrors/

So, the "stone" cannot be retrieved without a "sacrifice?" Where have we heard this before?
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Quote:
On Sep 9, 2023, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Was that The Host?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Host_(2013_film)

The one with water aliens was fun (The Faculty) Smile

Thank you,Jonathan, but I'm afraid that's not it. Because in the one you mentioned, the aliens are evil in that they forcibly occupy an unwilling body. Also they occupy living bodies whereas the one I'm looking for has benign aliens who occupy the bodies of those deceased. But thanks for trying, Jonathan, I appreciate.
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
In the current series of Marvel's Wolverine (Logan), he teams up with Ghost Rider. And Logan rides a cycle comparable to Ghost Rider's one. It baffles me how Logan can withstand the acceleration of 9 G's, which is nine times the force of gravity. Of course Ghost Rider has no problem at all, because he's part of his cycle.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On Oct 1, 2023, Orville Smith wrote:
In the current series of Marvel's Wolverine (Logan), he teams up with Ghost Rider. And Logan rides a cycle comparable to Ghost Rider's one. It baffles me how Logan can withstand the acceleration of 9 G's, which is nine times the force of gravity. Of course Ghost Rider has no problem at all, because he's part of his cycle.

Logan can heal from any G force injuries he suffers, that's why. Kinda obvious if you ask me.
Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Actually, what happened was that the news gave me the impression that Logan had a new power added, because he was riding a ghost-cycle. A Misunderstanding.

At the same time, I was wondering if his super-healing makes him indestructible, even Unkillable. The same could be said of Plastic Man whose body has been mutilated and shattered in every way imaginable and yet he survives.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Quote:
On Sep 9, 2023, ed rhodes wrote:

I thought he would have made a great Myxyptlyx (I know I misspelled that)

Mxyzptlk, spelled same as it sounds. Smile
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21276 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yea the common spelling of that name.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Interesting comparison between the movie version of The Flash and the television version:
https://screenrant.com/the-flash-grant-g......owerful/
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
James Gunn isn't helping. Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
The Flash's New power is the opposite of speed--& and way more powerful:
https://screenrant.com/flash-new-power-o......owerful/
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
While we're at it about the Flash's new powers, I remember seeing a phase of it during the 1960s, that is, the introduction of Flash and vibratory frequencies. Of course those vibrations are done at super speed too, which is why they work. Let me note that I never saw the Flash using vibrations when it was the Golden age version from the 1940s but rather from the Silver Age. The first time I saw it was when he used vibrations to shatter ice which had encased him. Although not only vibrations but also the fact that he had to also prepare by inhaling his breath so that it would result in a space between his body and the ice wall so that the vibrations would work.

Later on, that vibratory power was expanded on by showing that the vibrations had different frequencies. One example that stands out for me is when Flash's youthful partner, Kid Flash, was running, and thought he heard voices in his head. The Kid deduced that he heard those voices whenever he happened to vibrate at a certain frequency. So when he determined the particular frequency and concentrated on vibrating at it, it was at that point that an image appeared in mid-air. It was an alien girl from another dimension who was trying to warn us about an invasion from tyrannical aliens.

After that, it was taken to an even higher level when an evil magician turned Flash into an actual marionette so that the magician could manipulate the strings to humiliate The Flash. The purpose was to humiliate The Flash. Although it was seemingly hopeless, the Flash realized that at least his brain must have been kept normal so that he could suffer the feelings of humiliation. Realizing that, the Flash vibrated in such a way as to send out molecules from his brain so that those brain molecules would spread out throughout his body, thereby filling up his body, to make it at least semi-normal. Although still weak, he mustered up enough strength into one punch to knock out the magician and take his wand to restore himself back to normal.
So that was the phase I saw during the 1960s. There have been various other phases along the way and as you saw in the link, another phase has been currently introduced.
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Regrettably the Marvel movies have become flops lately. At least the Captain Marvel efforts keep bringing back the Skrulls. Because one of my favorite FF issues from the 1960s was the introduction of the Skrull who was genetically engineered in the lab to become the Super-Skrull. At that time, fans used to differ as to how to pronounce Skrull--whether to rhyme it with skull or with scroll. Just like DC's Mxyptlk. It was finally settled in the DC animated series where we heard Mr. M's name in actual audio.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Sad the Marvels isn't doing well. Trailer looked fun.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27302 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
It looks like a cute film. Maybe as a summer movie it would have done better?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21276 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I enjoyed it.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Apparently there's a little more to its performance. It was still the top grossing film its opening weekend and broke a record for a movie directed by a black woman. Everyone is just talking about how it didn't make Endgame money.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers