The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Not very magical, still... :: How Can DC Catch Up With Marvel? (45 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..18..33..48..63..77~78~79~80~81 [Next]
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
If anyone else is a fan of the Dark Knight Returns comic series I highly recommend this fan film.
https://youtu.be/DZUGnRe37YE
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Maybe DC can catch up with Marvel with David Corenswet?
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Fedora
View Profile
Special user
Arizona, usa
760 Posts

Profile of Fedora
Unlikely, james gunn said he won't be casting Michael rosenbaum as Lex Luther,
not sure how they'll make it without him.
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On Jul 2, 2023, Fedora wrote:
Unlikely, james gunn said he won't be casting Michael rosenbaum as Lex Luther,
not sure how they'll make it without him.

Nah, it should be fine.

Plenty other actors can play Lex Luthor. Supes was the role most were worried about. David seems to be a good casting.
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
James Gunn is good. I thoroughly enjoyed Peacemaker even though I didn't expect to. I just wish he didn't have to put down Zack Snyder's work so much because I liked the director's cuts of BvS and Justice League. They could have done great work as a team.
~Will Rogers
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Although I don't like the Black Adam character at all, I still went to see the movie because I like DC's Dr. Fate who was included. I've liked Dr. Fate from the very first time I saw him in the 1960s in the Justice League issue that had the revival of Red Tornado. At that time, I still did not know about him getting his occult powers from the disembodied spirit of Nabu that inhabited the Fate helmet. But because the explanatory-footnote mentioned that he got his occultism from ancient Mesopotamia, it made me research the archeology that had excavated clay tablets. On those tablets were diagrams for haruspicy , the occult art of foretelling the future whereby the entrails, the internal organs of animals were analyzed for divination. Those animals were usually used for sacrificial-offerings but also used for prognostication. So there was also an oracular purpose for them too. Diagrammatically,it was quite detailed because all the organs were mapped out. One would think that the heart would be the most important organ but it was mostly the liver that was used for occult divination. I don't know why the liver got the most attention.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
DC has had a lot of good television and streaming content over the last few years, so has Marvel.
Peacemaker, Gotham, most of the Arrowverse shows (even though they basically just put Green Arrow into Batman stories) were all really good.

Peacemaker was the one that shocked me. I had zero interest in the character or in John Cena but my son talked me into watching it and I loved it.
~Will Rogers
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Jul 22, 2023, Orville Smith wrote:
Although I don't like the Black Adam character at all, I still went to see the movie because I like DC's Dr. Fate who was included. I've liked Dr. Fate from the very first time I saw him in the 1960s in the Justice League issue that had the revival of Red Tornado. At that time, I still did not know about him getting his occult powers from the disembodied spirit of Nabu that inhabited the Fate helmet. But because the explanatory-footnote mentioned that he got his occultism from ancient Mesopotamia, it made me research the archeology that had excavated clay tablets. On those tablets were diagrams for haruspicy , the occult art of foretelling the future whereby the entrails, the internal organs of animals were analyzed for divination. Those animals were usually used for sacrificial-offerings but also used for prognostication. So there was also an oracular purpose for them too. Diagrammatically,it was quite detailed because all the organs were mapped out. One would think that the heart would be the most important organ but it was mostly the liver that was used for occult divination. I don't know why the liver got the most attention.

In mythology, the liver was considered the seat of emotion, hence why a coward was called "lily livered" and why Prometheus was senteced to having his liver eaten by an eagle for eternity.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21275 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Certainly you must mean in SOME mythology right? Not all mythology agrees with other mythology.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Fedora
View Profile
Special user
Arizona, usa
760 Posts

Profile of Fedora
He is referring to Greek mythology, this was also true in ancient Mesopotamia and later
in the middle ages in certain parts of Europe.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21275 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
But not all mythology. Point is there are many.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On Jul 28, 2023, Dannydoyle wrote:
But not all mythology. Point is there are many.

Yeah, sorry for the cultural shortcut.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
To my dismay, I report the passing of Paul Rubens (of Pee-wee Herman fame).
RIP Paul Rubens 1952-2023
The reason I mention his demise in this Superhero thread is because I've always felt he would have been the perfect actor to play the superhero Plastic Man. Because as compared with other elastic heroes, Plastic Man was always zany and scatterbrained, exactly the type of performances Mr. Rubens was known for.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7568 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
In case some weren't aware, Paul Reubens acted as Penguin's Father in "Batman Forever" (movie) and "Gotham" (TV series), as well as voice acting as Bat-Mite on "Batman: the Brave and the Bold" (animated series).

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Quote:
On Aug 2, 2023, Donald Dunphy wrote:
In case some weren't aware, Paul Reubens acted as Penguin's Father in "Batman Forever" (movie) and "Gotham" (TV series), as well as voice acting as Bat-Mite on "Batman: the Brave and the Bold" (animated series).

- Donald

It was Batman Returns had Paul Reubens. One of my wife and I's favorite movies.
~Will Rogers
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Did anyone attend the Blue Beetle premiere? In my case I usually attend just the Marvel ones. Surprisingly ironic for me because when I first began collecting comics in the '60s I began with DC. But when the overwhelming success of the Marvel films left DC in the dust, it was at that point that I became more of a Marvel fan. In the comic books themselves, one of my favorite DC-heroes was the Elongated man who had the superpower of Elasticity. But when that elasticity was adapted for the theater, it was not the Elongated Man but instead Reed Richards of the Fantastic Four that was adapted. So it was a proxy of sorts that I had to settle for. As a result, I had to readjust my attitude about Marvel, seeing as how they continued to dominate the cinematic screen.
If nobody replies to my query about the Blue Beetle, I'll
take it that nobody attended the premiere.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21275 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I’ve seen it and it was fun.

I’m not up on the lore associated with the story so it was all new to me.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27302 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Echos of the first Spy Kids movie. Smile
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
After 56 years,DC kills off an iconic superhero.
https://screenrant.com/deadman-dc-killed-knight-terrors/
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
To add to that preceding article about Deadman, I have to regrettably say that I never liked that character. It's because of his power of forcibly occupying someone else's body. It's the same as spirit possession which I always associated with demon possession. So it's too Unsettling to see it as the ability of a so-called hero.

The same could be said of Brother Voodoo who could summon the spirit of his deceased brother to occupy other bodies.

As an afterthought, it reminds me of a science fiction film where Space Aliens came to Earth to ask permission to occupy the bodies of those who have already died. In this case, it's ethical because they asked permission. And also they would be occupying the bodies of humans who had already died. What's really fascinating is when the deceased body is that of beloved husband or wife who has died, and then to see it walking around fully alive and speaking, and that it's occupied by an alien being. I wish I could see that film again, but I don't remember its title. Unless someone on this forum might know.