The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index :: Not very magical, still... :: How Can DC Catch Up With Marvel? (45 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Good to here.
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..15..27..39..51..62~63~64~65~66..79~80~81 [Next]
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27302 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On Nov 6, 2019, Mr Salk wrote:
The Twilight Series single-handedly saved the dying town of Forks, Washington.
From backwoods meth-labs to Japanese tourist vans.
https://forkswa.com/twilight/ Smile
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
We are heading for a Crisis on Infinite Earths.

This was a year-long maxi-series published by DC in 1986 or so. It included many crossovers to many of the books at the time. The main goal was to organize the DC universe and make it easier to understand. Before that, there were multiple Earths, multiple origins, etc.

I read those books. Like most "event" based books, they lead up to a big climax and after that, then what? The individual books had to pick up the pieces. In the Crisis, the Flash sacrificed himself and died. (Don't worry, he was later resurrected.)

Supergirl died too. (Great cover art by the way with a sobbing Superman holding Supergirl's dead body.)

and now we have a five-episode Arroverse crossover. Green Arrow believes he will sacrifice himself. I believe this because his show is ending. Flash believes he is destined to die. I don't believe this as his show will be continuing.

The internet is all abuzz with who is guest starring on this thing. Tom Welling, Burt Ward, the list goes on. My concern is that either there will be so much guest-starring that the plot gets lost, or all that build-up will lead to one action montage where we see all the previous heroes in action over a five minute or so spread.

The idea of it is great, but once again, it is like DC looked at the "infinity war and endgame," and said, "we have to do that somehow."

I hope it works, but I am worried about it.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21275 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
It confused the heck out of the DC Universe to this day. Lord only knows what will happen when the TV folks get involved.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
It's great to see that Burt Ward will be making a guest appearance. Don't know whether he will be playing an Adult-Robin or a totally different character. But it reminds me of the 1960s Justice League in an issue where there was a One-Shot appearance of an Adult-Robin but from Earth-Two. If I remember correctly, Cliff, the Batman of the Parallel Earth is retired so Robin takes over, in a sense being two heroes at the same time. To reflect that combination, his costume is dark colored.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Yes, I owned that book. I liked the idea of it, though I like nightwing much better.
Magic is like Science,
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27302 Posts

Rumor has it DC will launch a new superhero and storyline during the crisis. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starman_(Jack_Knight)
Do they have the nerve to make Stargirl the cosmic rod ( don't ask ) wielding secret identity of Jack Knight?
https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/dc-univ......3412021/ <- That image reminds me of Sabrina... anyway here's the news:L
https://www.thewrap.com/stargirl-to-air-......ossover/
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
I turned on the radio today and heard this broadcast with the author of the America Chavez comics:

https://www.npr.org/2019/11/21/781827181......y-rivera

I haven't read a comic book since 1975 or so, so this is a whole new world to me. Comicgate? LBGTQ Latina Marvel superheroes? I'm not in Kansas anymore.
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
DC won't beat Marvel because the Joker was an EXTRMELY good DC movie and DC is Nuance, and people can't handle nuance.

The people who hate on the Joker are the reason babies are murdered.

I have spoken.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Quote:
On Nov 23, 2019, landmark wrote:
I haven't read a comic book since 1975 or so, so this is a whole new world to me. Comicgate? LBGTQ Latina Marvel superheroes? I'm not in Kansas anymore.

Marvel actually had a superhero come out as gay back in 1982 or so. It was very understated and downplayed, with a simple utterance from the hero, "Not that it is any of her business, but I am gay."
Magic is like Science,
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27302 Posts

Maybe 1992 after much fuss - Northstar.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Yup, that was the one Jonathan. Though I thought it was much earlier.
Magic is like Science,
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
In addition, another to break the taboo were The Avengers where the two siblings Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch admitted to an Incestuous relationship.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Why did Marvel do that? Anybody hear of the legal argument called the "Shock the conscience" doctrine? What did Marvel think they would gain by that?
Magic is like Science,
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27302 Posts

Quote:
On Nov 28, 2019, Orville Smith wrote:
In addition, another to break the taboo were The Avengers where the two siblings Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch admitted to an Incestuous relationship.
That was in "Ultimates" - not even a what-if story bubble. All new/All different branding - and they've got earths up to 600+ so it's not our marvel standard or movie universe.

If you'd like to enjoy a Mark Millar story try Huck.
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2653 Posts

Profile of critter
Ultimates really soured my view of Ant-Man/Giant-Man too. But I liked Ultimate Thor.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27302 Posts

While "Trix are for kids" comics have not been for ... well at least since 1987 so let's not fret over tarnished silver age images.
Rumor has it there's a Frank Miller Dark Knight Returns item due out in a few weeks. Smile
https://www.dccomics.com/comics/dark-kni......-child-1

(no word yet on Sandman or whether Watchmen will continue)
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Quote:
On Nov 28, 2019, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Quote:
That was in "Ultimates" - not even a what-if story bubble. All new/All different branding - and they've got earths up to 600+ so it's not our marvel standard or movie universe.

Jonathan, when you said "what if"--do you mean the magazine of the same name? Whenever I bought an issue of that title I remember its splash page showing the alien Watcher explaining that the story is about Parallel-Universes? In other words it's just like the DC idea of Earths 1 and 2 where the Barry Allen Flash comes from Earth-One and the Jay Garrick Flash comes Earth-Two. In that case I take it that the "Ultimates" stories take place in a parallel universe. Do they give the specific number of the alternate-universe where Wanda and Pietro have the incestuous relationship?
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27302 Posts

Kind of like Earth 2/Silver Age but not retcon so much as design for the Ultimate stories https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Earth-1610
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21275 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Dec 1, 2019, Orville Smith wrote:
Quote:
On Nov 28, 2019, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Quote:

Jonathan, when you said "what if"--do you mean the magazine of the same name? Whenever I bought an issue of that title I remember its splash page showing the alien Watcher explaining that the story is about Parallel-Universes? In other words it's just like the DC idea of Earths 1 and 2 where the Barry Allen Flash comes from Earth-One and the Jay Garrick Flash comes Earth-Two. In that case I take it that the "Ultimates" stories take place in a parallel universe. Do they give the specific number of the alternate-universe where Wanda and Pietro have the incestuous relationship?

The Scarlet Witch and Pietro have been hinted at in the Marvel Universe pretty strongly.

Also the What If series was infinite universes I believe.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
The following Comics certainly appropriate for Christmas: http://www.hillmanweb.com/xmas/comics/sc01.jpg